Directions / guides to build a closed chamber

Tortlee83

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta, GA
Hi all!!

so the DIY route of making a closed chamber for my month old Russian hatchling isnt working out the greatest.. ive got tin foil and a fogger and at this point I just want to build or buy an enclosed chamber with the sliding doors, I just don’t know where to get building directions ( if that’s a thing ) or just buy one out right. Any suggestions?
This is my current setup and it looks like a hazardous mess... thanks!!

18779351-154A-4B83-B2A8-AD2915BE424C.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's not much wrong with that but I do have some suggestions for you.

Get it up off the floor. If you don't have a little table, improvise - a couple 5 gallon buckets, a couple milk crates, a couple cinderblocks, etc.

In my opinion you don't need the fogger. If you wet the substrate it raises the humidity.

Move all the wiring to behind the enclosure.

Use foil instead of bags over the right side of the lid.

I've seen it where the front of the tub had a window cut out and covered with plexi, that way you can see in and get a bit more enjoyment out of it.

Tortlee83

Atlanta, GA
Thanks!! I covered the lids with foil but noticing it was like an oven on the inside and the temps were over 100 ( I've got a flukers 100 watt basking bulb which im switching out with 65 watt flood bulb per what i'm seeing on the forum). I’m assuming though that with the closed chamber method you need a lower wattage bulb? I’ve ordered a greenhouse tent type thing off of amazon. Ill post what it looks like on the inside.

1596468908243.png

Tortlee83

Atlanta, GA
i soaked the substrate underneath which is a mix of top soil / coco coir and some reptibark.. The thermostat is in there humid hide and the humidity is the one of the top left of that photo.. the temp on the top right is surface level underneath the basking spot.. the one im holding is the temp/hygro probed hanging by he food and water dish..

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hi all!!

so the DIY route of making a closed chamber for my month old Russian hatchling isnt working out the greatest.. ive got tin foil and a fogger and at this point I just want to build or buy an enclosed chamber with the sliding doors, I just don’t know where to get building directions ( if that’s a thing ) or just buy one out right. Any suggestions?
This is my current setup and it looks like a hazardous mess... thanks!!

View attachment 302128
If you really want to build a nice closed chamber that works well, @Sterant has a nice post on building a PVC chamber yourself pinned to the top of the Enclosures section of the forum. He did a great job with that post/directions. Back east, you should be able to find the expanded PVC sheets on sale at Home Depot. They are not sold on the west coast at Home Depot.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My closed chamber had a plexiglass top with hinges and the lights were mounted INSIDE. Attached to the underside of the lid with silicone glue

I made a tiny one for a hatchling. But larger would be the same idea.

Attachments

• 20190922_161912.jpg
    20190922_161912.jpg
    1,023.5 KB · Views: 49

Agathaade

Los Angeles
Thanks!! I covered the lids with foil but noticing it was like an oven on the inside and the temps were over 100 ( I've got a flukers 100 watt basking bulb which im switching out with 65 watt flood bulb per what i'm seeing on the forum). I’m assuming though that with the closed chamber method you need a lower wattage bulb?

Confirming that’s the experience I had when I covered my table. I went from using 75W bulb to a 45W. I expect to use the 75W in the winter when the house gets cold, though.

Tortlee83

Atlanta, GA
My closed chamber had a plexiglass top with hinges and the lights were mounted INSIDE. Attached to the underside of the lid with silicone glue

I made a tiny one for a hatchling. But larger would be the same idea.

hiya..ive been thinking about just getting rid of the plastic tub for a glass 40 gallon one..how do you attach the plexiglass with a hinge to the top of the tank?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
hiya..ive been thinking about just getting rid of the plastic tub for a glass 40 gallon one..how do you attach the plexiglass with a hinge to the top of the tank?
I built a wood top for mine. I liquid nailed foam board to the underside to protect the wood.IMG_20200801_100612532.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
thanks! ive found a 55 gallon at petco im going to pick up today.. About how long would a tank of this size last for a hatchling? butterscotch it about 5/6 weeks old at the moment
If they carry the 75 gal, it is a much better tortoises tank than the 55 gal. Not much more in $$ usually. It is the same height and length as the 55 but wider - so much more floor area for a tort.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
would something like this work?

View attachment 302135
Something like that would be excellent. Animal plastics makes great cages, their quality, pricing and customer service is all excellent. The problem is that it takes months to get your cage after ordering.

You can order something similar but better from @Markw84 and have it in a couple few weeks.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If you use an aquarium, I suppose you could use an aquarium lid.
I cut the plexiglass to the size of the tank, then silicone glued two cabinet hinges to it and the tank.
Hinges are just a few bucks

Attachments

• 20190922_163033.jpg
    20190922_163033.jpg
    554.6 KB · Views: 4

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
If you really want to build a nice closed chamber that works well, @Sterant has a nice post on building a PVC chamber yourself pinned to the top of the Enclosures section of the forum. He did a great job with that post/directions. Back east, you should be able to find the expanded PVC sheets on sale at Home Depot. They are not sold on the west coast at Home Depot.

And if you're not going to build one yourself, get one from @Markw84. His are nicer than the AP Cages, and you will get it much quicker.