discoloration of scales on front legs

LittleBigChief

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
My tortoise is about 6yrs old. Her front legs have been dry looking and discolored for the last few years. I was wondering if it was due to the water she gets soaked in. Maybe its too hard? It only gets put through a brita filter. On the other hand her hind legs look perfectly normal and her scales are a bright red. I use a REPTIRAIN mister and cypress mulch. The humidity in her terrarium is a constant 80-85%. Her front legs don't smell weird. She lost a scale about 6 months ago but thats about it. She doesn't bite at her legs, and she's very alert and active.It looks more like some sort of build up. I started brushing her front legs with a toothbrush when she's soaking. I notice a lot of dead skin comes off but thats about it. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3814.png
    IMG_3814.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 67

allegraf

10 Year Member!
It may be fungus. Clean it, scrub with toothbrush. When it dries put some athletes foot cream on it and see if that works.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
No harm if you use it and it isn't fungus. My big tortoise has a lot of hard water stains, every so often I rub him down with a little coconut oil and it moisturizes them for a while.

LittleBigChief

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
No harm if you use it and it isn't fungus. My big tortoise has a lot of hard water stains, every so often I rub him down with a little coconut oil and it moisturizes them for a while.
I applied some coconut oil last night...lookes like it helped alot. I soaked her this moring and brushed her legs. I'm going to let her dry out see how it looks.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
If she is usually on dry surfaces like that I'm not surprised if it is just dry skin. Redfoots love their humidity. My big guy doesn't spend nearly enough time in a high humidity environment either and he looks somewhat similar.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Does she have a water source that she can soak in voluntarily?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Hopefully the coconut oil helps and it is just dry skin. I understand your hard water battles.