discussion on different races of RF tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
Carl ….What I ment from the Redfoot statement ( which is even less studied then the galaps, and there is no island hoping with miles of water in-between) is at what point or shall I say “local” to we call one species another?

JD, that is a commonly asked question regarding virtually every sub-species of every organism. Let's apply that question to American box turtles: Eastern box turtles intergrade with Florida box turtles around Jacksonville, Florida but once you travel a bit further north eastern box turtles are clearly identifiable. Around Thomasville, Georgia you find box turtles that appear to be a mix of gulf coast box turtles, Florida box turtles and even three-toed box turtles. However these zones of intergradation are actually very small. But the point is that an eastern box turtle from Massachusetts is clearly a different creature from a gulf coast box turtle from the Florida panhandle. The difference isn't just color either. Size, shell shape and even head size are different. Would you say they are all just the 'same animal'?
Yet your argument regarding redfoots--that they have been subject to man made interference through trade, travel and habitat change applies equally to box turtles. Native Americans likely moved the occasional box turtle from one zone to another. But we still can identify the races, or 'locales' or sub-species (or whatever you want to call them) easily. Sure there are oddballs found in every population, but in general you can tell and eastern box turtle from the other races.

You also mentioned this:

I fully understand there are phenotypes’ to certain “local” and in the redfoot world most of that is differences in coloring.

This is absolutely false. In red-footed tortoises the differences in the various races we see in captivity are far greater than just color. Look deeper than just color. The northern races often (usually) posses a narrow 'wasp waist' in adult males and many females too. Northerns have fragmented head scales with short prefrontal scutes. The scales on the legs of northern red foots, especially animals from Guyana/Suriname, are smooth and more numerous than the larger and more imbricate leg scales of the cherry-head form. Speaking of the leg scales on cherry-heads, there is usually fewer colored scales on each leg than the northern and Chaco races of red-foots. The cherry-heads do not develop a pinched waist as the northern do but the males of this race often develop a flared rear margin to the carapace. The heads of cherry-heads possess two (or four) elongated prefrontal scutes that are clearly identifiable. Sometimes they are divided by an 'X' like suture. The nasal region of cherry-heads is typically bulbous and is different from the other races we see in captivity. BTW, the nasal region of Colombian red-foots seems to be very rounded and blunt. Cherry-heads in general are much, much smaller than the red-foots from Mato Grasso, Paraguay, Bolivia and Suriname/Guyana.
There are other differences too and I haven't even touched on the very different plastron pattern and color of the various races. My point is that there is clearly enough differences in these races to warrant sub-specific rank. They just have not been officially described by taxonomists. Yet.

The gripe I have with so many keepers of red-foots (and this would apply to Galapagos animals too) is that when it suits them they turn a blind eye to these unique traits and pretend they don't exist.

As for your hypos, I find them to be very interesting. I have no beef with them at all other than I don't find any adult hypo to be that pretty. But many of your neonates are beautiful for sure. Do I think they are 'pure' or comprised on a single race? Heck no. They appear to me to be hybrids, or whatever you would want to call them. They sure aren't pure cherry-heads. But as long as you don't try and pass them off as anything else, who cares? I don't.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
RE: Would you spend $5000 on a Galapagos tortoise hatchling?

Voices in your head......who said they were cherry heads?
Those I bought from one of your inner circle guys ....John H . They are too young to produce.... and your example of the cherries and the RF ...good one and legit, your not the only one with "EYES that can look deep" I jive with that always have ...I'm talking a regular redfoot from local example I presented...."middle of the country"
Even more interesting .. you and I own the same gene lines with a lot of our animals since we have bought breeders and hatchlings thur out the years from the same people....
My Reds and Cherries are split .. have been for years .. but I must say on the Red side ..there is no way you can go thru my collection and name stake " where the species exactly came from local specific "
May I ask what species of Horse you ride on ?

Gee and in 2009 you just figured out Cherries Marble? I thought you were the creator of Redfoots?
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-6045.html

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida

N2TORTS said:
Voices in your head......who said they were cherry heads?

Um, I think YOU did at some point. It might have some time ago but I seem to remember that you said they were yourself. If not, my mistake.

Those I bought from one of your inner circle guys ....John H .

John H. is not in my inner circle. I promise.

They are too young to produce.... and your example of the cherries and the RF ...good one and legit, your not the only one with "EYES that can look deep" I jive with that always have ...I'm talking a regular redfoot from local example I presented...."middle of the country"
Even more interesting .. you and I own the same gene lines with a lot of our animals since we have bought breeders and hatchlings thur out the years from the same people....

Make that one animal, the adult female I purchased from Marty Durham. Otherwise my animals are 100% wild caught or direct imports from the 'farms' in Brazil. I've never bought a hatchling from anyone. I did give a couple of neonates to Terry Kilgore and he might have forwarded them onto you though.

My Reds and Cherries are split .. have been for years .. but I must say on the Red side ..there is no way you can go thru my collection and name stake " where the species exactly came from local specific "
May I ask what species of Horse you ride on ?

I ride Toyotas--- and I'm fairly certain they are not pure

N2TORTS

5 Year Member

Oh yea ... nice gesture giving him some hatchlings......even a nice review ..:D
Interesting info ...eh?
"Everyone has a Guru / Mentor - Carl was mine. He is in FL.. and shared a couple of his '05 Brazilian's with me. One of which has the nice looking "marbling" on the carapace.. and I'm quite sure is a male! The other looks to be a female and she is starting to show some marbling also. I've posted the male in another thread. The "marbling" didn't start to show until over a year old.. and to the best of my knowledge none of Carl's adults display it!

These are 2 emails I received from Carl:
1)
Joe's animals are long termers from the 1985 Pet Farm shipment. But they are not Paraguayan as cherryheads are simply NOT found there. Or if they are, it is only in a tiny portion of the country. But the German researchers that I know who LIVE IN PARAGUAY, and who have studied the redfoots for years, assure me that they are NOT found there at all.
All of the confusion regarding so called "Paraguayan" cherryheads is from the fact that Brazilian animals were shipped from Paraguay back then----although they certainly were not collected from there.
Brazil was closed to exportation so the simple way around that was to truck hundreds of (actually, the one shipment consisted of nearly 5000 animals) tortoises into Paraguay and then send them to the USA from there. I know this for a fact as I have two friends who managed the reptile department at Pet Farm at the time. They were the ones who told me of this.
But since they were called 'Paraguayan' redfoots by Pet Farm back then (remember, Brazil was closed so Pet Farm calling them Brazilian Redfoots was tantamount to admitting they were illegally obtained) the name has stuck. But all of these animals being called true Paraguayan cherryheads is nonsense.

2)
You ask a question that I get asked all the time and it is sort of difficult to answer as these redfoots are variable in color. Also, officially there is only one recognized species of redfoot which is carbonaria. More work on the taxonomy is needed but don't hold your breath.
But having said that, anyone who has dealt with the various forms or 'races' of RF that have been imported over the years can see that there are different populations.
Regardless of what many breeders might say, ALL of the so called cherryhead RFs originate from the state of Bahia, Brazil and possibly Minas Gerais, Brazil.
There are no Bolivian or Paraguayan cherryheads. The myth of such animals is based on misinformation given out by the major importer of these tortoises back in the early 80s.
The redfoots found in both Bolivia and Paraguay are a completely different animal even though some of them might have reddish heads. They can be separated from the eastern Brazil RFs in a number of ways but size is the most obvious. Some of the Bolivia/Paraguay tortoises can grow to be gigantic in size and 17 to 20 inch adults are not at all rare. In fact, my friend Jim Buskirk measured one adult male in Paraguay that was over 24 inches.
The name cherryhead in itself is very misleading. If you have seen very big groups of imported cherryheads the first thing you notice is that their heads can be red, orange, yellowish, coral and even pink. Most are some shade of orange with or without a pinkish tinge to the nasal area. Only really exceptional individuals have the bright red head and eyes that everyone expects them to have based on the stupid name cherryhead. BTW, that name was a marketing ploy used to boost sales of them back when pricelists were only printed on paper and there was no Internet with color photos.
In addition, while many of these RFs have extremely pretty color, most of them do not have much of it. So even if you have a cherryhead with bright red color, it may only have a few red scales on each leg and its head may be mostly grey with that bright red limited to the major head scutes. Of course, the best of these RFs are stunning with lots of color on both the legs and head. But again, these are the exceptions.
The plastron of these RFs is quite distinct from the more northern populations. As hatchlings they have all of the scute seams outlined in dark brown (see photo). As adults most have dark plastrons with varying amounts of ivory or dirty yellow mottling. Some have mostly light plastrons with scattered dark marbling.
But this is always different from the pale yellow with or without the central hourglass marking that northern RFs have.
As regards size it is true that most of the originally imported cherryheads were rather small but appeared to be adult.
This was especially true of males which often showed sexual dimorphism when only about 6 inches total length.
BUT, after a number of years most of these so called 'dwarfs' (another misleading name) grew to be decent sized redfoots. I had a male years ago that grew to be nearly 14 inches. I have a female now who is nearly 13 inches and she just began laying eggs last year... at 10 years of age.
It is true though that these Rfs are smaller than say the above mentioned Bolivian and Paraguayan tortoises. Also, the average Suriname RF is larger too. But the Colombian RFs that I had in the 70s and 80s were about the same size, if not smaller."

N2TORTS

5 Year Member

I think we share genes from a few of these ...too~
Here are A few from Joe's linage ....

allegraf

10 Year Member!
[split] Would you spend $5000 on a Galapagos tortoise hatchling?

Now I know your not a fan of my hypos and they are “pure” …As pure as ice is cold ….but most people experienced or not would have a hard time identifying what “species local specific “ they are.

JD, I am not sure what you mean by your hypos are as "pure as ice is cold". You market some of your hypos as cherryhead hypos, but it was discussed that your stock is from Joe Terry who had a hypo northern and bred it to a normal cherryhead. That is not pure in any sense of the word. I am not a fan of mixing the northerns with the Brazilians, hypo or otherwise.

Galops- too big for me, if it escapes and you find it, how do you get them back into their pen! Carrot and donkey method? Same with Sulcatas.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member

I DO ?..... YA better check with the folks who buys them ...

Show me an Ad where I Sell my Hypos as Cherry Heads …You and Carl Make no sense
Matter of fact read the darn breeders list on this forum!

THESE ARE NORTHERN HYPO REDFOOTS …NO MIX .. THEY WERE IMPORTS!…..

Here are the JR Cherry Hypos … Not of breeding age …

There is no mixing ...... if you look...
Reds which include ... 1 male Hypo
2 Female HYpo's
3 Female Redfoots

The CHerry Side ...
is .... 3 Males
and 9 Females

The JR Cherrys along with other torts I own .. have different areas as well

Ten years ago and way before this forum was around.... when I started breeding redfoots and cherries ...still there was seperation....

N2TORTS

5 Year Member

cdmay said:
allegraf said:

Oops!!! Poor JD, the Internet never forgets.

You are correct ….I shared that thread .. But those ARE NOT MY BREEDERS!
Nor Have I posted HYPO CHERRY HEADS FOR SALE
Yes you should re read the thread. What’s funny is to hear the opinion “ some of those look like cherries” …when I know exactly where they came from (I’m talking about my hatchlings. ) Not only does that show …a guess … but complete ignorance. Ya know the wild thing …like the Email that was posted on here from 4.5 years back …*poof* its gone .. Nevertheless… here are the spurs of those Jr Cherries.( Now..unlike my Adults who I know personally where they came from …I look for a decent business deal and honesty. So , while in my hands I can make studies and judgment calls on my own records.

cdmay said:
allegraf said:

Oops!!! Poor JD, the Internet never forgets.

Your right Carl .... heres your letter from 2008
01-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Redfoot NERD
CLUELESS Chelonian keeper/breeder?
Tennessee

DWARF "Cherryhead" vs "Regular" redfoot
This one hopefully will answer a lot of Q?'s!!!

Everyone has a Guru / Mentor - Carl was mine. He is in FL.. and shared a couple of his '05 Brazilian's with me. One of which has the nice looking "marbling" on the carapace.. and I'm quite sure is a male! The other looks to be a female and she is starting to show some marbling also. I've posted the male in another thread. The "marbling" didn't start to show until over a year old.. and to the best of my knowledge none of Carl's adults display it!

1)
Joe's animals are long termers from the 1985 Pet Farm shipment. But they are not Paraguayan as cherryheads are simply NOT found there. Or if they are, it is only in a tiny portion of the country. But the German researchers that I know who LIVE IN PARAGUAY, and who have studied the redfoots for years, assure me that they are NOT found there at all.
All of the confusion regarding so called "Paraguayan" cherryheads is from the fact that Brazilian animals were shipped from Paraguay back then----although they certainly were not collected from there.
Brazil was closed to exportation so the simple way around that was to truck hundreds of (actually, the one shipment consisted of nearly 5000 animals) tortoises into Paraguay and then send them to the USA from there. I know this for a fact as I have two friends who managed the reptile department at Pet Farm at the time. They were the ones who told me of this.
But since they were called 'Paraguayan' redfoots by Pet Farm back then (remember, Brazil was closed so Pet Farm calling them Brazilian Redfoots was tantamount to admitting they were illegally obtained) the name has stuck. But all of these animals being called true Paraguayan cherryheads is nonsense.

2)
You ask a question that I get asked all the time and it is sort of difficult to answer as these redfoots are variable in color. Also, officially there is only one recognized species of redfoot which is carbonaria. More work on the taxonomy is needed but don't hold your breath.
But having said that, anyone who has dealt with the various forms or 'races' of RF that have been imported over the years can see that there are different populations.
Regardless of what many breeders might say, ALL of the so called cherryhead RFs originate from the state of Bahia, Brazil and possibly Minas Gerais, Brazil.
There are no Bolivian or Paraguayan cherryheads. The myth of such animals is based on misinformation given out by the major importer of these tortoises back in the early 80s.
The redfoots found in both Bolivia and Paraguay are a completely different animal even though some of them might have reddish heads. They can be separated from the eastern Brazil RFs in a number of ways but size is the most obvious. Some of the Bolivia/Paraguay tortoises can grow to be gigantic in size and 17 to 20 inch adults are not at all rare. In fact, my friend Jim Buskirk measured one adult male in Paraguay that was over 24 inches.
The name cherryhead in itself is very misleading. If you have seen very big groups of imported cherryheads the first thing you notice is that their heads can be red, orange, yellowish, coral and even pink. Most are some shade of orange with or without a pinkish tinge to the nasal area. Only really exceptional individuals have the bright red head and eyes that everyone expects them to have based on the stupid name cherryhead. BTW, that name was a marketing ploy used to boost sales of them back when pricelists were only printed on paper and there was no Internet with color photos.
In addition, while many of these RFs have extremely pretty color, most of them do not have much of it. So even if you have a cherryhead with bright red color, it may only have a few red scales on each leg and its head may be mostly grey with that bright red limited to the major head scutes. Of course, the best of these RFs are stunning with lots of color on both the legs and head. But again, these are the exceptions.
The plastron of these RFs is quite distinct from the more northern populations. As hatchlings they have all of the scute seams outlined in dark brown (see photo). As adults most have dark plastrons with varying amounts of ivory or dirty yellow mottling. Some have mostly light plastrons with scattered dark marbling.
But this is always different from the pale yellow with or without the central hourglass marking that northern RFs have.
As regards size it is true that most of the originally imported cherryheads were rather small but appeared to be adult.
This was especially true of males which often showed sexual dimorphism when only about 6 inches total length.
BUT, after a number of years most of these so called 'dwarfs' (another misleading name) grew to be decent sized redfoots. I had a male years ago that grew to be nearly 14 inches. I have a female now who is nearly 13 inches and she just began laying eggs last year... at 10 years of age.
It is true though that these Rfs are smaller than say the above mentioned Bolivian and Paraguayan tortoises. Also, the average Suriname RF is larger too. But the Colombian RFs that I had in the 70s and 80s were about the same size, if not smaller.

I don’t think
I need to put your words in Bold do I ?

“officially there is only one recognized species of redfoot which is carbonaria.” More work on the taxonomy is needed but don't hold your breath.

I do like term “ race” ,,,,,,though for the different types…..which you state ,.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Would you spend $5000 on a Galapagos tortoise hatchling?

I agree you are not selling any of your hypos as cherryheads but you have your jr one listed as such. In the thread I referenced, you admitted those are from a hypo breeding with cherry. That is not a cherryhead hypo, it is a mix. While your juniors may have the spurs, that is still not proof of a pure cherryheads. If you are skeptical of any "pure" cherryheads then why bother flogging them as cherries?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member

allegraf said:
I agree you are not selling any of your hypos as cherryheads but you have your jr one listed as such. In the thread I referenced, you admitted those are from a hypo breeding with cherry. That is not a cherryhead hypo, it is a mix. While your juniors may have the spurs, that is still not proof of a pure cherryheads. If you are skeptical of any "pure" cherryheads then why bother flogging them as cherries?

thats what they were sold to me as .. from suppose to be a reputable breeder....I stated what was relayed to me ....Joe Terry ... to John . to me . Now .. Im not sure if I asked them if they were a mix .. and I'm not sure they even know .. as a lot of his hypos got disbursed ..Wanda and Joe ..Nick up in NY...ect...
woud " MIX CHERRY HYPO " tittle better suit your thread ... ?
Once again they are not my breeders...

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK

Ummm... so this thread has gone from:
Galapagos Tortoises to...
Crosses in subspecies of the Galapagos Giant Tortoises to...
Aladabras to...
Red Foot locality and crosses to...
Hypos to...
Personal Attacks...
Not to mention the pics of sulcatas. Maybe best to get back on topic?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member

Flint .. I agree … I think what started this was the fact it’s very interesting to note that different “species “ of Galaps ..came from different islands. For myself I became more fascinated with this and first thing came to mind was the “Pangaea” world. But then thinking thru…. the islands that these giants live on ,are actually volcano ridges that pushed up thru the sea from millions of years ago …So some how … at some time they must have drifted to these islands.? I’m just learning more each day about this awesome creature. Kelly and Greg (Aldaman) both are very well versed on these big boys…. I’m all ears~
I’m not one to start anything and I respect both Carl and Allegra , their knowledge and the animals they produce. I think all of this stems from years back .. And I don’t know why? Nevertheless… I rather learn and share … then argue ..nor have to “ Prove” everything I share as far as “ local” specific...
JD~:)

Oh yea .. and somewhere in my readings .. I think I found data that Galaps and Redfotos are very closely related ..??

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida

Your right Carl .... heres your letter from 2008
01-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Redfoot NERD
CLUELESS Chelonian keeper/breeder?
Tennessee

DWARF "Cherryhead" vs "Regular" redfoot
This one hopefully will answer a lot of Q?'s!!!

Everyone has a Guru / Mentor - Carl was mine. He is in FL.. and shared a couple of his '05 Brazilian's with me. One of which has the nice looking "marbling" on the carapace.. and I'm quite sure is a male! The other looks to be a female and she is starting to show some marbling also. I've posted the male in another thread. The "marbling" didn't start to show until over a year old.. and to the best of my knowledge none of Carl's adults display it!

1)

2)
It is true though that these Rfs are smaller than say the above mentioned Bolivian and Paraguayan tortoises. Also, the average Suriname RF is larger too. But the Colombian RFs that I had in the 70s and 80s were about the same size, if not smaller.

I don’t think
I need to put your words in Bold do I ?

“officially there is only one recognized species of redfoot which is carbonaria.” More work on the taxonomy is needed but don't hold your breath.

I do like term “ race” ,,,,,,though for the different types…..which you state ,.
[/quote]
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm missing something here. Where in this do you get that I have animals related to Joe Terry's? Because we both got animals from the same group of 3500 that came in in 1984 (or 85?). Does this make you assume they are related? That's a stretch.
What is the problem with my e-mails? they are factual except for one major item that I would like to correct here: the animals from that so called 'original' shipment were NOT shipped from Paraguay, but rather Argentina. Rob MacInnes corrected me on that point. Sorry about that. Everything else is pretty much correct. What's your beef?

The fact that I mentioned that there is only one recognized species of red-footed tortoise? This is because there hasn't been any further taxonomic work done on them. But virtually everyone familiar with the animals (well, except some I guess) recognizes that there are obviously several sub-species, if not full species of red-footed tortoises. Is this concept beyond your thinking process? Or does that fact that it is also commonly recognized that the taxonomy of the group is badly in need of revision go over your head? Or is it simply easier to block out things you don't like to hear so you don't have to admit you're wrong? I has to be one of these...
Lastly, some of the hypo hatchlings in the attached thread do look like cherry-heads...at least a little. So what? The others look like mixes or northerns.

Flintus...sorry about the confusion, this did start as a Galapagos thread but the Admin moved it here...

JD, I also don't get where you feel that you can post a private e-mail on a public forum and then try and play 'gotcha!' with it. Not that there is anything objectionable in the e-mails and it certainly doesn't prove any point you are trying to make.
But it does seem rather sleezy.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Carl like mentioned I believe there are a lot of variables within the species. No I don't stoop to your level ....it's public info partner...

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-1128.html

"The Internet never forgets" <~~~~I think was the exact same words you threw in my face....correct?

Ya see Carl .. I always paid attention , because I know you are extremely well versed in RF's. I have learned a many of things from you and still do ...as well as share my *own* experiences . I'm not trying to pull cheap shots at you , nor creating monsters ....and was a little surprised at some of comments you made ...Let's bury this hatchet and learn more about the subject we are talking about. I myself have never been to South America ...but hope very soon ( If I can find a baby sitter for the torts) to view some of this first hand.

JD~

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
For the confused newcomer- the differences between red-footed tortoises is an ongoing debate over whether there is one species of red-footed tortoise with several regional variations, or if the species needs to be reinvestigated and actually consists of some combination of similar-looking species and subspecies.

There are a lot of interesting aspects of the discussion. For example, right now, as one species, they are not considered particularly threatened in their native regions. If they split them up, however, some of the new species might easily be reassigned as endangered in their new ranges and that would have ramifications on things ranging from importing them to their use in local economies.

Another aspect of the discussion is a long-time feud between people who like to break animals down into as many species as possible, and those that prefer to cluster like species together- the 'splitters' vs. the 'lumpers'. Debates between these groups can get quite loud, and both sides have valid points. After all, the entire field of naming and categorizing animals is invented by humans and is imperfect.

It is also not a new or unique debate. It has been raging for the Mediterranean and Galapagos tortoises, and North American box turtles for a long time, and has happened in pretty much any group of animals you can think of.

Focusing on red-footeds...

As has been mentioned, there is a lot of variability in the species- not only color (scute, skin, and shell background), but in things like shell shapes (males from south of the Amazon river do not show the 'wasp waist', the side profile is different between some groups), size of sexual maturity, presence of elbow spurs, male mating behaviors, cold tolerance, etc.

Different authors have postulated different ways of dividing them, whether they are calling them races, subspecies, or potential species (Pritchard, Vinke, Vargas-Ramirez). A paper on red-footed DNA from Vargas-Ramirez suggests that there may be 5 distinct groups (although this is not enough, on its own, to prove species, etc.), outlined in the Red-footed Natural History page linked below. As a couple of authors have pointed out, considering the huge range and variation of habitats in that range, it would not be very likely that one smallish, slowish species would cover the entire area.

I believe a reason it is debated so much here ties into breeding practices. Should the locality of the animal be a major consideration in breeding it? Can we cross animals, intentionally or just by keeping them together, from say Colombia with those from Guiana? If they are all the same species with just color variations, then more people would support that sort of action. However, if it turns out that the Colombian tortoises are a different species than the Guiana torts, then arguments against 'mutts' and hybrids carry more weight.

References:
- Pritchard, Peter C. H. and Pedro Trebbau. Turtles of Venezuela (Contributions to Herpetology). SSAR, 1984. ISBN 0916984117.
- Vargas-Ramirez, Mario and Jerome Maran, Uwe Fritz. "Red- and yellow-footed tortoises, Chelonoidis carbonaria and C. denticulata (Reptilia: Testudines: Testudinidae), in South American savannahs and forests: do their phylogeographies reflect distinct habitats?" Organisms, Diversity and Evolution, 2010.
- Vinke, Thomas, Sabine Vinke, Holger Vetter and Susane Vetter. South American Tortoises, 'Chelonoidis Carbonaria, C. Denticulata and C. Chilensis' (Chelonian Library #3). Chimera Edition, 2008. ISBN 3899736036.
- Red-footed Natural History, the Tortoise Library- https://sites.google.com/site/torto...ation/chelonoidis/red-footed--natural-history

N2TORTS said:
Carl like mentioned I believe there are a lot of variables within the species. No I don't stoop to your level ....it's public info partner...
(snip)
JD~

Post #4 has this line: "These are 2 emails I received from Carl:" That would not be public info, and posting a private email like that without the permission of the other person would be considered impolite or even rude in many circles (although I gotta say I am impressed that you keep things like that for so long, and can find them again!)

Having said that... I am not really sure what the point of reposting the emails actually was.

N2TORTS said:
Oh yea .. and somewhere in my readings .. I think I found data that Galaps and Redfotos are very closely related ..??

I thought I saw someone in one of those articles on the population genetics thread that showed that the Galaps were more closely related to Chacos than to red- or yellow-footeds?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
5 years ago ... One kind of redfoot (although mention of Different " races" ... I like that term so much better than species for this matter and that makes sense)... Now 5 are noted ... actually the list of Synonyms is quite extensive.

Testudo carbonaria SPIX 1824
Testudo boiei WAGLER 1833
Geochelone (Chelonoidis) boiei - FITZINGER 1835
Geochelone (Chelonoidis) tabulata - FITZINGER 1835 (partim)
Testudo carbonaria — DUMÉRIL & BIBRON 1835: 99
Testudo (Chelonoidis) boiei - TSCHUDI 1845
Testudo Carbonaria — DUMÉRIL & BIBRON 1854: 220
Testudo tabulata - BOULENGER 1889 (partim)
Geochelone carbonaria — WILLIAMS 1960
Testudo carbonaria - WERMUTH & MERTENS 1961
Geochelone (Chelonoidis) carbonaria - PRITCHARD 1967
Testudo (Chelonoidis) carbonaria - WERMUTH & MERTENS 1977
Chelonoidis carbonaria - BOUR 1980
Geochelone carbonaria - ERNST & BARBOUR 1989
Geochelone carbonaria — SCHWARTZ & HENDERSON 1991: 169
Chelonoidis carbonaria - CEI 1993
Geochelone carbonaria — GORZULA & SEÑARIS 1999
Geochelone carbonaria — ZIEGLER et al. 2002
Chelonoidis carbonaria — MCCORD & JOSEPH-OUNI 2004
Chelonoidis carbonaria — GERLACH (pers. comm.)
Chelonoidis carbonaria — LE et al. 2006
Geochelone carbonaria — DALTRY 2007
Chelonoidis carbonaria — MCNISH 2011
Two other points, the " inbetween areas was the Key to the whole thing...where does that end and begin?" and the inbetweeners? I was not telling you or anyone else where I think it is ..I would imagine this like favo teams in baseball I guess you take sides... but obviously from all the different papers presented there has been field information from all sorts of parties … then why all the different results?

If there was a One time shipment of particular animals of unusual nature ...wouldn’t they be more likely to be all related? And if so dominate in one area than more than likely all of those should be related ...no?
So I would conclude there several factors involved which is still being learned.

Look on page 172 of the Redfoot Threads....come on Mark ...really? I think any one signing on to this forum can read it ? :rolleyes:

The comments about "Look like Cherries" well .. I guess that’s an opinion ...would you like to evaluate the Parents and tell me they are crosses too? In that case the person is wrong . They are Northerns‘, all 3 of the adults....who bred, laid eggs and hatched out some incredible looking babies, multiple times too! it's that.....plain and simple. And would be a wrong assumption .

and your right ... the Galaps are more closely related to Chacos than to red- or yellow-footeds. Well there was some more convo about it .. I believe Flint was adding to it .. as I'm just learning more about the unique species myself , but I think it got all erased. Again I wasn't tell anyone they ARE related for a fact ... just reading .. and sharing .

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Most interesting posts as I have had a few of these Pet Farm animals throughout the years.

Perhaps as technology advances I will get a few pics scanned to my computer. There are more than one type of redfoot, geochelone carbonaria.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL

N2TORTS said:
allegraf said:

thats what they were sold to me as .. from suppose to be a reputable breeder....I stated what was relayed to me ....Joe Terry ... to John . to me . Now .. Im not sure if I asked them if they were a mix .. and I'm not sure they even know .. as a lot of his hypos got disbursed ..Wanda and Joe ..Nick up in NY...ect...
woud " MIX CHERRY HYPO " tittle better suit your thread ... ?
Once again they are not my breeders...

JD, My question is why would you label a thread with false information?

The thread clearly says "Junior Hypo Cherryheads"
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/post-694066.html

Status
Not open for further replies.