Discussion thread for benefits/detriments of coconut oil

phebe121

(Trying to keep Glitch's coconut oil thread on topic about his using the oil on his tortoise, I've moved all the OT comments to this thread. We can make all the OT comments we want here. So let's hear what you have to say! ---Yvonne )

So with this coconut oil me and my bf also made lye soap and i just used a bar of it made my skin feel so good and soft would people like me to post the recipe for it

Last edited by a moderator:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
My wife use extra virgin coconut oil to enrich her hair once a week. Hahahahahaha.......................

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I've always used different oils for my hair and nails and as extra moisturizer on my skin when needed a few times a week always with great results so I don't see the problem in using- and I do use- either extra virgin olive or coconut oil on my torts once or twice a week on their shells and heads. It's just keratin after all and it seems to benefit from moisture and also the oil as a moisturizer. My nails and hair are proof enough for me that keratin benefits from the oils lol. :p

My wife use extra virgin coconut oil to enrich her hair once a week. Hahahahahaha.......................

Your wife must have beautiful hair! I have used it in mine with excellent results ~~~ SO SILKY, SO SMOOTH, SO LUXURIOUS!!! :eek::D

Kenno

5 Year Member
Southern California
At the risk of being scolded for going off topic, I'd like to ask about the general benefits or hazards of oiling our tort's shells.

I read extensively on torts, both the good and bad advice, and I try to determine what's valuable. There was a source online that suggested that oil blocks some pores in the shell and should be avoided.

A vet once suggested to me that nonorganic mineral oil would be harmless and I could safely shine my desert torts with that. I did so, and it made them look ridiculously shiny! Eventually the stuff wore off and now they are back to normal dirty shells. No harm is apparent from this little experiment.

May we hear from our more experienced members about this? Does anyone know of any legitimate reason to avoid oiling?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the main reason in the olden days was the pore clogging thing, then that dirt would adhere to the oil causing the tortoise to overheat.

When I used to take my tortoises to make presentations I would always oil them after I cleaned them up real well. I used mineral oil. But I took an absorbent cloth and polished it all off after applying it. It left the shell with a nice lustre, but not an oily look. And because it was all polished off it didn't cause dirt to stick to them. I never had one overheat due to oil.

What I'm reading about the coconut oil is making an impression on me. I even went out and bought some.

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
I seriously highly appreciate the support and love I have gotten while being a participant of this forum. I only wish to improve our tortoises lives and wish them the healthiest loving homes physically and mentally possible. Thank you so much for this opportunity to contribute.