Dislocated Jaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenna09

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Hi Everyone

I am concerned about my one sulcata tortoise Little Foot.

He is always a crazy good feeder and I don't think has gone a day in his life without eating like a maniac...that was until this evening.

He couldn't seem to open his mouth over 1/3 of the way without retracting into his shell like he was scared or in pain. He did this about 10 times before I decided to give him a 25 minute soak and then I put him in with some of his favourite foods and the same thing, he tried to eat but for some reason can't open his mouth properly.

Could he have dislocated his jaw or injured his mouth in some way? I can't see anything on the outside of his mouth and when he opened his mouth 1/3 of the way I could peak in and nothing looked red or irriated.

He is acting strange and I am really worried about him because I have never had a problem with him since I purchased him in 2007.

A little more info:
- 4.5 years old
- lives with another sulcata that is 1/4 of his size
- 7ft x 4ft indoor tort table
- weighs approx 13lbs
- temps in table go from 72-90 (depending on where he is located)
- diets consists mainly of hay/dried meadow grasses and dandelion

Should I wait until Friday and see if he eats? or should I just take him to the vet tomorrow?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jenna

PS. I apologize if I double posted. My laptop froze when I submitted the new thread and I didn't save what I wrote and I didn't see it posted when I got back online, so I made this post which was slightly different from the original one and now I think I have two posts lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jenna:

This sounds like something that your vet needs to have a look at.

Jenna09

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
emysemys said:
Hi Jenna:

This sounds like something that your vet needs to have a look at.

Since I have made my post I have decided I will be bringing him in to the vet first thing tomorrow morning if he hasn't improved.

When I went to check on him I could hear him passing a lot of gas and he was snoring.

I am so concerned because he has honestly been the easiest tortoise and never had a problem in his life.

My pets are my babies and I don't want to risk waiting something out that might be something serious and regretting it later.

Thanks
Jenna

M

Maggie Cummings

If he was your kid would you take him to the Dr? Yes? So take this tort to HIS DR...What can you lose but a few bucks???

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Totally agree that a vet visit is needed. The sudden loss of appetite is a real concern.
Poor little guy, let us know how the visit goes. Good luck and hope it's nothing too serious.

Jenna09

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
So this morning I called my vet as soon as they opened and made the appointment before checking on them.

Went down with the same food items as last night (pumpkin, shredded carrots and dandelion) and Little Foot was waiting for me with Shelly in their sleeping hut. He came running out and ate like nothing was up last night!

I called the vet back and they said to monitor him and if anything changes call back to make another appointment. Luckily I have a good relationship with my vet and she will see him anytime.

Thanks for all of the help everyone!

Jenna

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Well that is a relief! Glad whatever was the problem seems to have passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.