Distinguishing between a russian and hermann's tortoise

MephistoMathers

Howdy there folk. I have a question that I just can't find the answer to anywhere. So I work at a national pet retail chain and we just got in this little guy. He was sent to us labeled as a russian tortoise. Now, admittedly, I'm not great at distinguishing between the Testudo species, but this guy just looks really different from what I've seen normally. So after doing a little research, I've come to suspect he might be an Eastern Hermann's tortoise. So my question is this: how do you tell the difference between the Russian and Hermann's species? I've included some pictures and have noted no spurs by the legs and a spur at the end of the tail.

Attachments

• tortoise bttom.jpg
    tortoise bttom.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 99
  • tortoise tail.jpg
    tortoise tail.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 91
  • tortoise top.jpg
    tortoise top.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 91

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No contest. It's like distinguishing between a horse and a donkey. There's quite a distinct difference between the two. What you have there is a Hermanni (hermanns). Russians look like this:

russian-tortoise3.jpg

upload_2018-5-12_12-59-9.jpeg

MephistoMathers

Knew it! Thanks a lot! So you'd say the difference is that a russian will pretty much have a darker underbelly/scutes and a more yellow carapace? I apologize for being a little dense, just want to make sure I know for future reference

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
After you've seen enough of them, you will just recognize them by looking at them. The Hermanni has two black smudges, one on either side of the plastron, while the Russian is black all over the plastron.

MephistoMathers

Ahh I see. Thank you very much Yvonne. The question of which species it was was nagging at me. Thank you again for the confirmation!

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Alright this won't be popular, but I am going to ask anyway. If you can't even distinguish between the species how can you care for them in your position at the store? There is no universal care, each species varies at least somewhat in how to care for them.

Please have a look at the care sheets for any and all torts under your care, tortoise consumers loathe nothing more than a pet store not giving proper care. Thankfully you are in the best place for that, this place will serve you well.

Kevinrrussell

Michigan
In Mefisto's defense, he/she is in that job to sell product, and the info that came with the tortoise supposedly told them what the product was. They came here afterall, looking for help, right?
Awesome job..correct... some like to bash...great job Yvonne...they took the time to learn.. I learn from this forum all the time..you helped me....in the past

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Awesome job..correct... some like to bash...great job Yvonne...they took the time to learn.. I learn from this forum all the time..you helped me....in the past

I was not bashing anyone, I posed a legitimate question as politely as I could and referred someone to a care sheet who cares for tortoises and could not identify one of the most widely owned tortoise species.

EdMurphy

Minnesota
I was not bashing anyone, I posed a legitimate question as politely as I could and referred someone to a care sheet who cares for tortoises and could not identify one of the most widely owned tortoise species.

Seriously, that was as politely as you could manage? Nobody will read past the slam in your posts to even know you made a attempt at offering help.

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
I don't have to justify myself to you or anyone else...especially when the question was valid. Unless you agree with someone caring for animals who can't even distinguish their species much less their proper care? I gave him credit for being here to learn, which is more than most workers at places like Pet Smart do. As for offering help, if you read the thread, his question was answered before I arrived and had you bothered to look through the forum you would see I offer help/advice wherever I can.