DIY Dried Weeds and Flowers?

SweetGreekTorts

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
I've recently purchased some dried herbs/flowers/weeds mixes for tortoises, and was wondering if anybody has tried to dry their own. I have a dehydrator so wondering what temperatures to use to make my own mix from everything I have growing in my yard.

Thank you!

Kitty

andyhubbert

Liverpool, UK
I’ve dried weeds in the oven on a wire rack. Set it to the lowest temperature and ensure air can get around them. Looks successful so far.

Added them to a jar and put some calcium powder in with them so that it adds calcium but also because it is dry it’ll soak up excess water

KBeam

Central Illinois
I've recently purchased some dried herbs/flowers/weeds mixes for tortoises, and was wondering if anybody has tried to dry their own. I have a dehydrator so wondering what temperatures to use to make my own mix from everything I have growing in my yard.

Thank you!

Kitty

I used canvas stretchers, like for oil paintings, glued together and put screen across them. Then I put dandelion, plantain and hibiscus flowers and leaves on them. I dry them on my sun porch.

daniellenc

Maryland
I use my dehydrator to make my own herbal hay for winter. This year I’ve dried dandelion leaves and flowers, plantain, hasta, rose of Sharon leaves and flowers, and mulberry leaves. I’ll be doing another big batch this weekend and then grinding in my food processor for winter

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I use my dehydrator to make my own herbal hay for winter. This year I’ve dried dandelion leaves and flowers, plantain, hasta, rose of Sharon leaves and flowers, and mulberry leaves. I’ll be doing another big batch this weekend and then grinding in my food processor for winter
What temperature and for how long do you have them in the dehydrator?

Thanks!

Kitty

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is there a reason you grind them and not just feed them as is?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

bob420

boston
i dry with wedryer - it solve me the mold issues i had, easy , and don't use heat - means more time but a perfect dehydration result.
i just finished drying Origanum . great result and amazing flavor for my pizza lol
IMG_20200116_101638.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200115_121726.jpg
    IMG_20200115_121726.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20200130_111122.jpg
    IMG_20200130_111122.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2