DIY In-Tank Basking Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcourtney3

5 Year Member
Any ideas on how to make one? I currently have a zoo med "floating dock" and I don't like it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
hi... I know I have seen some posts on this site as well as if you go online and do search of "tank toppers you will come across sites for that....i have been researching the same ...i have to take into account my crazy dog....i have to make sure it is secure 100% or not do one at all.... :cool:

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I just finished making an above-tank basking area out of egg crate/lighting grate (actually an egg crate-like ceiling tile for over light panels) and zip ties. The 4x2' sheet of egg crate is about $12 at Home Depot, then something like $2 for a pack of 4" zip ties.

Basically, I cut a section of the egg crate to fit the top of the tank (did mine at about 18" wide, to fit snugly in my 75 gal tank's top rim, and around 16" long--to give room to bask while still leaving enough room between the edge and the center support for the largest turtle to climb up with no risk of getting stuck). Then I cut a piece for the ramp, and zip-tied that to the base platform, toward the back of the tank. Then cut 3 pieces to make "walls"--around 11" high, with the back "wall" stretching all the way to the center support so no one could climb off the ramp and out of the tank. The "front" wall only extends a couple inches past the end of the platform so I can still get into the tank easily. The walls are zip-tied together, then to the platform. I ended up using a bit of scrap underneath where the ramp and the platform meet for extra support, again zip-tied. Add a light-weight 12x12" slate tile to absorb heat and solidify the floor (seeing how the egg-crate is a bunch of holes), and, wahlah, an effective basking platform. The biggest issue I had was lights... It's not quite sturdy enough to support clamp lamps or the like on its own. I ended up using the screen from a spare 20 gallon tank to set the light on. Works well enough. You might experiment with using some of the egg crate scrap to set it on; I was just worried about how much heat it can handle (aka whether it was a melting risk).

It definitely works best for smaller turtles... There has been an issue with the ramp not being able to support the 8" RES's bulk without dropping, so to speak, to a steeper angle (even with the support piece). If you just need a cheap design, though, a bigger turtle (probably nothing over 10", though) can still get up to bask successfully, it's just a little tougher than it is for the smaller turtles.

Here's a picture of the contraption:
P7020002.jpg

In conclusion, if you can take the time to work out some of the kinks, it's pretty good for an under $20 basking area.

Also, FWIW, what inspired this design was actually one I saw on a turtle forum. A member took the egg crate, cut two large pieces off to act as legs/support, then zip-tied a third piece at an angle, so a few inches of the end was in the water, and the rest dry. An even cheaper and easier design, though it doesn't allow you to put the whole tank's capacity to use the way my design does (the reason I love it--especially with a turtle tank as incredibly overstocked as mine!).

Anyway, maybe that helps a bit. There are definitely better designs out there, but hopefully mine gives you an idea of where to start. :)

hali

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
my husband cut a glass shelf and siliconed it on with some steps

Status
Not open for further replies.