DIY Indoor Enclosure - Advice, ASAP?

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
Hi,
My sister and I are building Otis, a 2-year-old Hermann's, a new indoor tortoise table now that summer is upon us. We've chosen the DIY route and have some questions to confirm before starting anything, to ensure we have what's best for Otis, and we'd love to hear your answers :)
First off, we're planning to build a 100x80cm table. That's roughly 39"x31" if you need the conversion; is this big enough? We want longevity with this table but as it is an indoors we have to satisfy the entire family and don't want it to takeover the room, if that makes sense. Of course space can be sacrificed for Otis' needs and that is agreed, should a larger table be needed/optimum.

Secondly, we are thinking on buying the wood from our local Homebase store (it's the equivalent of a Home Depot or similar) and having it cut there for free - the perks of being family friends with a worker - but was wondering on what wood is best to use. Is *untreated* 'softwood' ok? I would obviously check in person what the vague label entails, but I'm guessing pine. I'm aware hardwood is the best option, but if we made sure the 'softwood' was thick (round an inch?) enough, surely it would be sustainable. I know there's a lot of stigma around pine. Obviously we just want what is totally safe, but I have in my head from research the general idea is as long as pine is untreated and used just for the structure of the table and not for the substrate (it would also be sealed, but I'll come onto that later) it's safe for torts? There are a lot of pine tortoise tables out there, but of course, I don't trust all retailers either.

My third and final question regards the sealant. Is it completely necessary? The substrate would be topsoil, and although Hermann's don't need an overly wet environment it's my understanding that over time the wood would rot, and softwood all the more susceptible?
I'm thinking of using Thompsons Clear Water Seal for a sealant. It's waterproof and rot-proof, suitable on wood, has an annoying 2hr drying time but hey-ho. I'd probably apply two coats, if not more. It's apparently odour-free but I'd let it dry a few days besides before allowing Otis in. Is this suitable? Has anyone used it, or had experience with other sealants as I'm very open to other options should they beckon. I'd probably prefer sealants opposed to waterproof liners, just for the sake of longevity, but like I said, I'm open. :)

Thanks so much, and sorry for the ramble.
To summarise:
  • What's the ideal measurements for a table? Is 100x80cm big enough?
  • Is 'softwood' suitable - untreated, sealed pine?
  • Opinions on sealants and their necessity - Thompsons Clear Water Seal?
Of course I'd love to here any other general advice from those far more experienced. Otis is growing at such a fast rate it seems to me, but of course she's only two! I'd be grateful for any quick responses as we're hoping to crack on today.

Olivia

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I'm no expert on Hermanns , nor on enclosures , but just a few ideas -

You don't say where you live , but I assume plywood is available ? I've built a few with 1/2" plywood, framed with 2x4s.

When thinking floor space , it's always advisable to go as large as possible. As you know torts grow & lack of exercise is unhealthy. See if you can squeeze out another 30-40cm in length.

I have sealed tort enclosures with Thompson Water Seal w/o worry. Others may differ.

There is an Encloser section on the forum where you might get more help & ideas.

Good fortune to you.
( apologies for the inches & not cm :)

Alex Z

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
I have a russian tortoise. I built hers to be 6x2. Best if its 6x3. You can use flex seal for the corners and open areas. As for substrate, I used coco coir. They are movers so they need space. Add in sone aloe veras and weeds if you can. A few small boulders. Something like this. It does not need to be closed, unless you have cats.

Attachments

• mwza8o.jpg
    mwza8o.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 67