Diy pond or large aquarium filter.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
Decided to make my own filter canister for my pond and eliminate the two canisters filters im using. I figured I post a thread about it in case anybody else wants to try it.

Supplies:
5 gallon bucket with lid.
1 bulk head adaptor.
2 pvc elbows
Small piece of light diffuser or some kind of grated plastic material.
1 piece of pvc about 4ft.
Pond pump
Filter media.

First take your 5 gallon bucket and cut a hole the size of the bulk head fitting towards the bottom of the bucket. Then screw your bulk head into the bucket nice and tight.IMG_20200311_101118562.jpgIMG_20200311_101104883.jpgScreenshot_20200311-110852~2.png

Then attach a pic elbow joint and run a piece of pvc from it to a couple inches from the top of the bucket.IMG_20200311_101704887.jpgIMG_20200311_101711402.jpg

Then cut a hole in the lid off your bucket big enough to fit your pvc thru. Cut a piece of pvc that runs from the bottom of the bucket about a an inch or two out the top. I also added an elbow joint on the end that's in the bottom of the bucket so the water will get better coverage thru out the media. Not sure that's necessary but figured I'd include it.IMG_20200311_102055782.jpg

You want to have a couple of inches of no substrate and just water at the bottom of the bucket. For this your going to need some grated material that water can pass thru. A light diffuser from the hardware store will work or even a plastic strainer. I used the front piece off of an old box fan because I'm a cheapskate. I cut a few inches and a half pvc pieces to support it off the bottom. You'll need to cut holes also for around your piping too.IMG_20200311_103606790.jpgIMG_20200311_103721562_HDR.jpg
Now it's time to add a few layers of your media. You can use whatever you like. I went with lava rock, then scrubbing sponges, then filter cotton, (Tip: go to Walmart and buy a $6 dollar body pillow and cut it open for the fiber instead of spending an arm and leg at the pet shop for a small bag) then some activated charcoal.IMG_20200311_104051165.jpgIMG_20200311_104329216_HDR.jpg

Now that you're filter media is in you can test the pump out. You'll probably want to run it a few minutes to make sure It's draining correctly before putting the lid on.
IMG_20200311_105149869.jpgIMG_20200311_105424436.jpg

That's it, super easy! The supplies for this cost me about $17 it's been running a few days and for a small pond with a couple turtles and a lot of fish, it doesn't get much better than thisIMG_20200311_114915571.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Nice.
I made a second outlet pipe near the top of my tote/filter to let un filtered overflow water back into the pond if the media gets packed up.
That'll keep the water from overflowing the filter and dumping water over the top and out onto the ground.
It's saved me twice now.

Attachments

• 20190505_131454.jpg
    20190505_131454.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 25

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Nice.
I made a second outlet pipe near the top of my tote/filter to let un filtered overflow water back into the pond if the media gets packed up.
That'll keep the water from overflowing the filter and dumping water over the top and out onto the ground.
It's saved me twice now.
That's actually a great idea. I'll probably do that tomorrow. I thought about putting the bucket inside the pond on some bricks but it doesn't look good and takes up too much space.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I buy rolls of blue filter foam on Ebay. Then cut it to fit.
It doesn't foul as quickly as the fluffy media and it doesn't fall apart and go into the pond.
That and BIO BALLS with a few activated carbon sachets in each pond filter.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Since my turtles are savages and devour any plants in the pond quickly. I decided to take the lid off the bucket and grow plants in it. Maybe I can grow a enough to keep restocking the pond with as the turtles destroy them. I doubt it though.IMG_20200313_165332211.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Since my turtles are savages and devour any plants in the pond quickly. I decided to take the lid off the bucket and grow plants in it. Maybe I can grow a enough to keep restocking the pond with as the turtles destroy them. I doubt it though.View attachment 287963
Water lettuce.
Its illegal here. But everyone sells it!
I don't own a fish that won't eat it.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
I know this is an old post, but does anyone have what size bulkhead adaptors to get... also what size pvc pipes and fittings would be best? Where do I get them at? I'm ready to get my outdoor rubbermaid stock tank going as a turtle pond. ? Sorry I am not handy at these kinda things. Thank you in advance.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I know this is an old post, but does anyone have what size bulkhead adaptors to get... also what size pvc pipes and fittings would be best? Where do I get them at? I'm ready to get my outdoor rubbermaid stock tank going as a turtle pond. ? Sorry I am not handy at these kinda things. Thank you in advance.
It will depend on how big your pump is. I originally went with 1" and that was only big enough for about 600 gallons per hour. I've since upgraded the filter to 1-1/2" bulkhead and PVC and it's easily handling 1000gph. I would go at least 1-1/2". I got all the supplies at Lowe's. Home Depot or Ace hardware would have everything you need too. Don't get the pump their though. They're much cheaper on eBay or Amazon.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
T
I originally went with 1" and that was only big enough for about 600 gallons per hour. I've since upgraded the filter to 1-1/2" bulkhead and PVC and it's easily handling 1000gph. I would go at least 1-1/2". I got all the supplies at Lowe's. Home Depot or Ace hardware would have everything you need too. Don't get the pump their though. They're much cheaper on eBay or Amazon.
Thanks so much Toddrick1! I got the 300 gal rubbermaid and will be working on the filter in the next coming weeks. Thanks again for your help. :<3: :tort: :) ? :<3:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
T

Thanks so much Toddrick1! I got the 300 gal rubbermaid and will be working on the filter in the next coming weeks. Thanks again for your help. :<3: :tort: :) ? :<3:
No problem, you don't necessarily have to use a bucket either you can get creative with it. My pond is a little over 300g and this is what I'm running now with a 1000gph pump. It's a garbage can. It stays crystal clear with 6 turtles and fish.IMG_20200726_200104072.jpg

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
This is amazing! I'm having to order the 1 1/2" bulkheads as they do not have them in the home depot. Will the pumbing pipes and connectors be standard in the store items?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
This is amazing! I'm having to order the 1 1/2" bulkheads as they do not have them in the home depot. Will the pumbing pipes and connectors be standard in the store items?
Ya all the connectors and PVC you'll find no problem. I didn't use any cement to connect them. I just fit them together by hand.