Do Adults Need to Soak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marinalk

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I have two adult redfoots. They have a 14" dia. plant saucer in their pen for drinking/soaking but I've never seen them soak. Should I force soak them in the tub?? They appear very healthy, they eat very well, poop often and mate every day. Do I have a problem brewing and don't know it?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Me personally, I think if you offer the water, then they should have the smarts to know when and if they want to use it. Just be sure it's something they can get in and out of easily. Is this inside or outside? Is humidity high or do they get sprayed or rained on? Do they look dry? If you wanted to, after you add warm water place them in the dish, but allow them to leave it if they want to.

Marinalk

5 Year Member
Maryland
Jacqui said:
Me personally, I think if you offer the water, then they should have the smarts to know when and if they want to use it. Just be sure it's something they can get in and out of easily. Is this inside or outside? Is humidity high or do they get sprayed or rained on? Do they look dry? If you wanted to, after you add warm water place them in the dish, but allow them to leave it if they want to.

Thanks for the input. I too believe if the water's there and they don't soak, its on them. I've read so many posts in the forum about red foots soaking. They are full grown so they can get in and out of the plant saucer very easily. They are inside now but live outside in the summer months. I try and keep the humidity at a ok level, (its not high), I wet their substrate ( 10" peat moss & top soil mix) every few days. Yea and when I place them in the water dish they just walk out.

Ok, I guess with no other responses, this isn't a big issue, which is what I was hoping for. As I said, they are very alert, active and responsive to my presence. thanks!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Soaking is not a necessity with hatchlings, young or adult tortoises.

It's simply added insurance. If they have easily accessible water available, correct humidity (soil moisture, ambient air) and temperatures are suitable for the species in question soaking really isn't necessary. But it's never a bad idea either.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
GBtortoises said:

It's simply added insurance. If they have easily accessible water available, correct humidity (soil moisture, ambient air) and temperatures are suitable for the species in question soaking really isn't necessary. But it's never a bad idea either.

I am so glad to see you posted that. I always feel like folks think I am crazy, because I don't think even hatchlings HAVE to be soaked. I know I rarely soak mine. I agree too, it doesn't hurt and it makes many folks feel better so no harm done. Now a sick, new arrivial, or not eating animal is another thing all together.

Marinalk

5 Year Member
Maryland
Ok, thanks for your input. I was thinking for their outside pen next I would incorporate a small bog area next spring. I'll post pics when or if I do. Of course they will still have access to their usual water supply.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Marinalk said:
Ok, thanks for your input. I was thinking for their outside pen next I would incorporate a small bog area next spring. I'll post pics when or if I do. Of course they will still have access to their usual water supply.

I bet they will love that! I was just sitting here thinking about, when I have my older foots outside. I don't recall ever catching them more then a couple of times soaking. Now my sulcata boyz come running every time I refill their mudwallow. So I about daily see them soaking, well more like splashing mud and water all around. :D

Marinalk

5 Year Member
Maryland
Jacqui said:
Marinalk said:

I bet they will love that! I was just sitting here thinking about, when I have my older foots outside. I don't recall ever catching them more then a couple of times soaking. Now my sulcata boyz come running every time I refill their mudwallow. So I about daily see them soaking, well more like splashing mud and water all around. :D

Nice. I guess they perfer a more nature setting.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Jacqui said:
GBtortoises said:

I am so glad to see you posted that. I always feel like folks think I am crazy, because I don't think even hatchlings HAVE to be soaked. I know I rarely soak mine. I agree too, it doesn't hurt and it makes many folks feel better so no harm done. Now a sick, new arrivial, or not eating animal is another thing all together.

For Testudo species:
I soak babies once a week while I am saturating and churing up their substrate to ensure that the moisture level is adequate throughout the entire substrate. I do it mainly to get them out of the way while I'm working in their enclosures. I spray them twice daily and the room that they are in has an average ambient humdity of 50-60%.
I try to soak the adults twice a week only because I do not keep water dishes in with them. They'd simply tip them over and too much water would soak into the substrate and create mold. I also spray their enclosures twice daily, heavily at night.
Outdoors none of them ever get soaked, even during the hottest temperatures in the summer, which admittedly usually isn't too hot here in upstate New York! All sizes and species have water available 24/7 while outdoors. The only spraying they get while outdoors is rain from mother nature.
I only spray tortoises indoors and monitor their humidity closer because all the lights and heat dry things out more and they do not have as many options to escape the dryness and heat as they do outdoors.
Like I said, soaking them is not a bad idea. But if their environmental conditions are correct (as they should be) soaking isn't a necessity.
I agree with you that newly acquired and sick tortoises should be soaked regularly for a period of time. Same reason-as added insurance that they have the opportunity to remain well hydrated under stressful conditions.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Marinalk said:
I have two adult redfoots. They have a 14" dia. plant saucer in their pen for drinking/soaking but I've never seen them soak. Should I force soak them in the tub?? They appear very healthy, they eat very well, poop often and mate every day. Do I have a problem brewing and don't know it?

If the water is cold they probably won't soak to much, at least the is my experience with Tyrone, I have a 60 watt build over his soaking/water dish and he loves to soak, so much more than before. It stays comfortable warm. I also soak him once a week, that allows me to look him over and scrub his shell lightly with a toothbrush, and inspect his beak. I also take hand shovel and mix his substrate and add water if needed, so the humidity stays pretty high. Sometimes I will rearrange things in his enclosure while he soaks so he doesn't get bored.

Marinalk

5 Year Member
Maryland
Watsonpartyof4 said:
If the water is cold they probably won't soak to much, at least the is my experience with Tyrone, I have a 60 watt build over his soaking/water dish and he loves to soak, so much more than before. It stays comfortable warm. I also soak him once a week, that allows me to look him over and scrub his shell lightly with a toothbrush, and inspect his beak. I also take hand shovel and mix his substrate and add water if needed, so the humidity stays pretty high. Sometimes I will rearrange things in his enclosure while he soaks so he doesn't get bored.

You bring up an interesting point. The water might be on the cool side. I've thought of putting another ceramic heater in the pen, over the water dish might not be a bad idea. If nothing else it will help keep the humidity up. Thanks!

GBtortoises said:
For Testudo species:
I soak babies once a week while I am saturating and churing up their substrate to ensure that the moisture level is adequate throughout the entire substrate. I do it mainly to get them out of the way while I'm working in their enclosures. I spray them twice daily and the room that they are in has an average ambient humdity of 50-60%.
I try to soak the adults twice a week only because I do not keep water dishes in with them. They'd simply tip them over and too much water would soak into the substrate and create mold. I also spray their enclosures twice daily, heavily at night.
Outdoors none of them ever get soaked, even during the hottest temperatures in the summer, which admittedly usually isn't too hot here in upstate New York! All sizes and species have water available 24/7 while outdoors. The only spraying they get while outdoors is rain from mother nature.
I only spray tortoises indoors and monitor their humidity closer because all the lights and heat dry things out more and they do not have as many options to escape the dryness and heat as they do outdoors.
Like I said, soaking them is not a bad idea. But if their environmental conditions are correct (as they should be) soaking isn't a necessity.
I agree with you that newly acquired and sick tortoises should be soaked regularly for a period of time. Same reason-as added insurance that they have the opportunity to remain well hydrated under stressful conditions.

With the responses I've gotten I'm going to start soaking this weekend. I do have one additional question. How do you adjust the temp of the water. Should I use a baby thermometer. Would a baby thermometer give a proper soaking water temp?

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
My adult Redfoots only get a soaking when I clean their enclosure. And that is only so I have some where to put them so they don't wander off. They do have a dog dish of water in their enclosure and all 3 drink from it just like a puppy dog would!!

I am soaking their 2 little offspring that are about 6 weeks old. I soak all my hatchlings.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Soaking is part of the overall program many people use to prevent dehydration. The thing is- most people were keeping their tortoises in open boxes with a hot lamp over them- sort of like a food dehydrator.

If your tortoise is not dehydrated, then forced soaking, at any age, really does not do much but possibly stress the tortoise.

(Unsure if your tortoise is dehydrated? - https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/health-and-medical/hydration )

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
Soaking is part of the overall program many people use to prevent dehydration. The thing is- most people were keeping their tortoises in open boxes with a hot lamp over them- sort of like a food dehydrator.

If your tortoise is not dehydrated, then forced soaking, at any age, really does not do much but possibly stress the tortoise.

(Unsure if your tortoise is dehydrated? - https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/health-and-medical/hydration )

Since I have soaked Tyrone ever since we have had him, he is used to it an I believe enjoys it. He stretches out his back legs and just ... Sits there. When he starts walking around, back and forth I take him out, put him on a towel to drip on and back to his enclosure he goes. There have been times when he was soaking for 40 mins and I needed to do other things so I put him back into his enclosure. He went straight to his water dish and soaked for another 40 minutes! There are other times when after 15 minutes he starts walking around and I know he is wanting out. so back to his enclosure he goes.

I guess what I am trying to say, is if you do soaks, watch their behavior, if they are climbing and trying to get out, then yes that may be stressful. But if they seem to like soaking ... Why stop?

Marinalk

5 Year Member
Maryland
Watsonpartyof4 said:
Madkins007 said:

Since I have soaked Tyrone ever since we have had him, he is used to it an I believe enjoys it. He stretches out his back legs and just ... Sits there. When he starts walking around, back and forth I take him out, put him on a towel to drip on and back to his enclosure he goes. There have been times when he was soaking for 40 mins and I needed to do other things so I put him back into his enclosure. He went straight to his water dish and soaked for another 40 minutes! There are other times when after 15 minutes he starts walking around and I know he is wanting out. so back to his enclosure he goes.

I guess what I am trying to say, is if you do soaks, watch their behavior, if they are climbing and trying to get out, then yes that may be stressful. But if they seem to like soaking ... Why stop?

Thanks - Good point about stressing him out. What a great website on dehydration. Before I proceed, maybe a more scientific approach would be a wise starting point. I'll try and apply the "tortoise body mass index tBMI" I'll post my results for closure.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
I soak my rf everyday and he's about 18mths old. He has a soak which he goes in and out of but I take him out when I get home from work and we have a soak and chat time! Lol. Like what Watsonfamilyof4 says if I see him climbing while soaking I'll get him out and wrap him in a flannel and bob him back in his enclosure. :)

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
One day I came home unexpectedly after falling ill at work and when I walked in, Princesse was soaking in her water dish and I swear the look on her face when she saw me was one of " caught in the cookie jar!" :-D I knew she soaked herself based on the "presents" that were left behind but I had never seen her do it. Perhaps they're shy bathers?
I also do soak daily, she seems to like it, and like many mentioned, it's a good opportunity to do some tinkering in the tank and inspect them.

Status
Not open for further replies.