do african spurred thighs need beaks trimmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason g.

5 Year Member
I've seen a few threads about people having to have there torts beaks trimmed. I haven't seen somebody say they had to have it done with a sulcata but if I need to watch for any beak growth I will. I just want him to be happy. He's fine now.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Any kind of tortoise might need a beak trim if it becomes overgrown. Like your finger nails, the beak just keeps growing.

However, with a good diet and plenty of roughage it usually wears away naturally.

Feeding your tort on a hard surface like a piece of slate or giving cuttle bone for him to chew on helps :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
jason g. said:
I've seen a few threads about people having to have there torts beaks trimmed. I haven't seen somebody say they had to have it done with a sulcata but if I need to watch for any beak growth I will. I just want him to be happy. He's fine now.

Not usually.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Never had to with RV, seems to wear down all by itself. We do feed on a 1x1 tile at times, but mostly she feeds as she wants from the yard offerings. Never had a problem.

teri

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Not usually sometimes they do tho, you can avoid this by feeding on a slate or piece of rock.
Also by feeding stems and hard stuff in the store bought greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.