Do Angulate torts mix well with other breeds?

Nicci_Brixx

Hi All

I have a male Angulate (dog) who is a juvenile, we have had him for about 10months now, and he has always been a happy little dude.

We recently rescued a hatchling leopard (sex unknown) initially we kept the two separate however over the past few weeks we have let 'Kit' roam the garden freely.

Dog now seems a bit depressed, he just sits in his little burrow all day only coming out to eat.
it is getting cooler here in South Africa, could he be gearing up for hibernation, or is my boy perhaps depressed by the leopards pressence?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Tortoises don't get depressed. They get upset if they see another tortoise in "their" territory. They get withdrawn from stress if they encounter a larger tortoise in "their" territory.
As a rule and to save yourself and your tortoises a lot of grief. Keep them apart. Don't mix species. Don'y even keep just two of the same species together.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I would also add that Angulate tortoises, Chersina angulata, also known as Bowsprit tortoises, should not be kept with other species. Aside from the possibility of foreign bacterial exposure, Bowsprits tend be a timid, shy species that is easily stressed. They don't handle the aggression and frequent turmoil that can be caused by more dominant tortoise species. They're definitely a species that is best kept alone.