Do any of you keep Iguanas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachael

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
los angeles
My red gets here monday. Any final advice, words of wisdom, or husbandry I should know before relying on what Ive read on other forums and the little bit Ive retained from Iggy, my first iguana when I was 8? (iggy went to a farm when my mom realized how big he got)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They aren't usually friendly, they need sunshine just like a tortoise, and they need very large enclosures.

rachael

5 Year Member
los angeles
Tom said:
They aren't usually friendly, they need sunshine just like a tortoise, and they need very large enclosures.

Huge enclosure and sunshine, check. This was part of the you get torties/I get a lizard negotiation in the new house.

I hope to bond with her Ive been trying to keep up with the latest iggy reading.

taytay3391

5 Year Member
Iowa, USA
We had an iguana in our science class. Middle school years 5-8th. He was quite friendly maybe because he was always around us kids. So maybe if you socialize him? Or it was a one time thing. I dunno. But he was huge, took up half the room with his cage

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I co-owned a 4 1/2 ft green male. He was friendly ( or should i say tolerated people with no resistance). He was used for petting zoos by the other owner and for educational presentations by me. A lot, a LOT of interaction kept him peaceful and calm while handled, pet etc. But he is my only experience..if they all have different "personalities" than maybe we were just lucky. ??
Anyway, we had different housing arrangements and he died in her care after being wedged between the cage and a log while outdoors in summer and fried :( ....

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I used to own a 5-footer. They grow FAST. Prepare for an adult-sized enclosure early on, because they will outgrow anything smaller relatively quickly. You don't want to throw money away buying tank after tank after cage after cage for the next 2-3 years.

Behaviorally, I would say they are more akin to a parrot and/or a cat than some reptiles. "Training" or conditioning an iguana to become "tame" and tolerate handling on a regular basis is a long and arduous process that requires patience on the keeper. And like cats and large parrots, some iguanas simply will never really "like" human interaction, especially handling. My advice: don't expect a nice, friendly lizard until they at least 2 yrs old. That is when they're about into/past that first stage of "iguana puberty" or sexual maturity.

rachael

5 Year Member
los angeles
I bit the bullet and got her a seven ft indoor enclosure and a squared off spot outdoors for when she gets bigger (outside has yet to be built I've just claimed it as mine :p)

For her personality, I'm preparing for the worst and hoping for the best? She was born in December.

Are there any live plants I cant have her around/// or foods I should avoid? There are more mixed msgs on iggy care than tortoises! Or maybe I just don't know where to look.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
You should by the book "Green Iguana: The Ultimate Owner's Manual" by james Hatfield.
It is considered the absolute best book on iguana care and is extremely informative on a large variety of subjects. Even people that have had Iguanas for more than 15years found it a great read.

as far as live plants they arent a good idea. The iggy will destroy them in a short amount of time. But if you do want them in the enclosure make sure they are edible.
You know about snalt right? are you sure its a girl? are you prepared for if its a boy?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
As far as diet, think more along the lines of closer to a redfoot since that is another South American herbivore: lots of leafy greens (stay away from iceberg lettuce), and keep 50% of the rest of the diet as other veggies and fruits. Stay away from avocado, apple seeds and azalea. Most of the same plants/veggies that are no-no's for tortoises go for iggies.

rachael

5 Year Member
los angeles
734cea5a9cca11e2b7a722000a9e5154_7.jpg

no filter!
1db0bf189bcb11e299af22000a9e29bc_7.jpg

contessa20

5 Year Member
You have a beautiful red ig there!
I actually just got my first ig a couple of weeks ago. Good luck; you're going to need it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.