Do Female Desert Tortoises put off a Scent

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
I think most of what I've seen about pheromones/scents has to do with identifying males/females when they are close to each other. It either induces aggression against other males or mounting females. But I think it's logical to consider the possibility that scent can help males find females from a distance.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I think most of what I've seen about pheromones/scents has to do with identifying males/females when they are close to each other. It either induces aggression against other males or mounting females. But I think it's logical to consider the possibility that scent can help males find females from a distance.
I have a older male that I've had for many years and several years ago a young what looked to be female came to me. They have never been together. They don't even hibernate in the same room over winter. Their outside pens are about 30ft from each other. A couple days ago the male started acting differently, more restlessly and active than I ever noticed before. Climbing up into 10 and 12 inch pots like he was trying to get out of the pen he's lived in for years peacefully and calm. The female has reached a little over 7 inches which I understand she may possibly be sexual mature now. Anyway I took her over to the males pen and it didn't take him long to notice her. He approached her from behind sniffed and then went to her front and started biting her shell and legs. Not real aggressively though. He then went back behind her and mounted. She made no attempt to get away. I checked on them later and they were on opposite ends of the pen acting normal. I will put her back in her pen in a bit.