Do Greek tortoises squeak?

Dallas

My mom has had a tortoise for about 50 years or so (she got bought her as a present so she can’t be sure of the exact age), we keep her in the garden, the same for the last few decades, and she has been fine all these years and today I heard her make this squeaking sound that I’ve never heard before. She was basking in the sun, after eating a little bit, and then out of nowhere *squeak*.
Is that normal for Greek tortoises? The weather in the UK has been terrible lately, we’ve had a heatwave and a drought for over a month so it has been insanely dry, but now it has cooled down to the high 20s so she seems happier about that (she couldn’t take the heat so spent most of the days in her little house), so maybe the weather could be affecting her?

Sorry, not much info to go on. She has also tried digging for the first time in about 10 years (and apparently that was the first time she’s ever tried to dig) so I think it might be the weather, but obviously can’t be sure.

Thanks. Peace.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
My tortoise squeaks every now and then, but I’m not sure why. And long as she’s eating, active, and has no nasal discharge, she should be fine :)

Bee62

Germany
Tortoises can sneeze or make a sneezing sound when it is too dry. Your old tortoises needs a lot of shade in these hot days and a water bowl thqt she can drink and bath in.
Through the day you can sprinkle the enclosure with water to create humid conditions. That she tries to dig is a sign that it is too warm and too dry for her.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My mom has had a tortoise for about 50 years or so (she got bought her as a present so she can’t be sure of the exact age), we keep her in the garden, the same for the last few decades, and she has been fine all these years and today I heard her make this squeaking sound that I’ve never heard before. She was basking in the sun, after eating a little bit, and then out of nowhere *squeak*.
Is that normal for Greek tortoises? The weather in the UK has been terrible lately, we’ve had a heatwave and a drought for over a month so it has been insanely dry, but now it has cooled down to the high 20s so she seems happier about that (she couldn’t take the heat so spent most of the days in her little house), so maybe the weather could be affecting her?

Sorry, not much info to go on. She has also tried digging for the first time in about 10 years (and apparently that was the first time she’s ever tried to dig) so I think it might be the weather, but obviously can’t be sure.

Thanks. Peace.

Tortoise chirp, click, make bug sounds ....all pretty normal but you should be happy to have heard it....while they do it....you are not always lucky enough to hear them when they do....if all else is good I would not worry :)