do hermanns require hibernation

tortoisenotturtle

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I read online that hermann's are one of the only torts that have to hibernate in captivity no matter what. But stuff on the Web isn't always true and I want to know if I could avoid it, I don't think I could be without my buddy for 4-5 months :( (soon to be owner)

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I read online that hermann's are one of the only torts that have to hibernate in captivity no matter what. But stuff on the Web isn't always true and I want to know if I could avoid it, I don't think I could be without my buddy for 4-5 months :( (soon to be owner)
Hibernating is NEVER a must, if all your enclosure temps are all right then there is no reason you should hibernate him (especially if you're a beginner)! Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hibernation, or for tortoises - brumation, is a means of keeping a cold-blooded animal alive during a period of cold weather. If you are keeping the tortoise indoors, and he's not allowed to get cold, he doesn't have to brumate.

Welcome to the Forum! We have a nice care sheet for Hermann's tortoises at the top of the Hermann's section.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Hibernation, or for tortoises - brumation, is a means of keeping a cold-blooded animal alive during a period of cold weather. If you are keeping the tortoise indoors, and he's not allowed to get cold, he doesn't have to brumate.

Welcome to the Forum! We have a nice care sheet for Hermann's tortoises at the top of the Hermann's section.

1028762jld543t69m.gif
We have amazing care sheets for everything :) !

THBfriend

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Are you perhaps from the UK? I've made the experience that hibernation (yeah, I know it's technically brumation) is usually listed as a must on websites from the UK and other European countries, whereas here it's treated as optional. Fact is, nobody knows for sure what the long-term impact on Hermann's tortoises will be when they're not allowed to hibernate each winter.

ditzyangeluk

Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
Good to see this question as I feel the same.
I know that it is said they should hibernate as they would in their natural environment. However, I wondered as, when 'captive bred' and kept as pets, THAT is their natural environment (on an artificial level) and they know no different. Or that is my take on it - but I am very much a newbie! :confused:

THBfriend

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
They kinda do know when it gets winter, though, and their instinct tells them become less active. If you don't happen to live in a tropical climate with minimal seasonal changes, tortoises will sense the changes in daylight and temperature. Particularly if you house them outdoors (as you should, if possible). And even indoors, if you have your tortoise table near a window.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/is-hibernation-absolutely-required.38255/

There is NO WAY to know if not allowing a tortoise to run out its natural life cycle is ok or not....many people will say "oh it is not needed" when actually that is a guess and in no way a long term factual proven statement....period.

The only sure fire way to know avoiding brumation in a species is beneficial is to, well, care for a species that does not naturally brumate....this way you are sure not to cause long term harm or confusion to a species that does include brumation.

This topic will always create alot of opinion and emotion....in "my opinion" if you are going to host a species that requires brumation (due to, oh lets say, a gazillion of years in the evolutionary make up of said species) then it is your responsibility to educate yourself in learning the proper way to support this part of the tortoise life as well......and if you do not want to "deal" with that part of the species life cycle then host a species that does not brumate....really very simple :rolleyes:

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
I'm inclined to agree with ascott. Determining where to draw the line between natural and artificial is difficult, and brumation, for many, sits right on that line. After all, it is natural that tortoises be predated upon by ravens and monstrous, thieving little mammals with big teeth and sharp claws, but obviously, we wouldn't allow this. The trouble with brumation is that studies concerning the necessity of the practice are neither widespread nor very well documented. Additionally, the liver and kidney troubles Highfield and Pursall considered a certain fate of tortoises kept from entering a state of brumation have been proven false in many instances, as has been referenced via anecdotal evidence countless times on this forum. Many members have kept animals awake year round, some of them for decades, without any noticeable ill effect. However, this anecdotal evidence doesn't leave me secure in the notion that the natural state of brumation is of greater risk than leaving the lights on over the shortened days of winter. To me, much of keeping tortoises is risk. There is always a risk some idiot could break into my property and steal my animals. There is always a risk that one or more of my tortoises could contract an unusual illness and perish, as did my sulcata Jerry. There is always a risk that some unforeseen situation will arise that may result in one of my tortoise's deaths. Life is messy.

Though I know this is of little comfort to those who have tried to brumate their animals only to see them perish upon emergence or during the long sleep, I have never had any trouble during the brumation period with my beasts, but I keep to a routine and maintain a safety protocol in the event of certain emergencies. I always use a fridge for brumation, given that such is the easiest way to ensure constant temperature in the forty to forty five degree range, which I ensure through use of four to six digital thermometers, one for each tortoise and two for the interior of the fridge, up high and down low. This provides valuable data in determining highs and lows and ensures one's thermostat may be calibrated properly, something that is absolutely essential in South Texas, where the weather can turn on a dime. I also weigh my tortoises on a twice weekly basis during brumation, rousing those losing weight too quickly. The trick with brumation is to keep an eye on things and to not become negligent. Same old same old, when it comes to tortoise keeping. There simply isn't any feeding involved.

Another positive concerning brumation is that I get a break from having to deal with the tortoises in the winter time and get a chance to allow outdoor gardens to recover beneath a cold frame, ensuring lush new growth when the tortoises awake in late winter/early spring. Now, keepers of tropical torts know of the great troubles concerning keeping tortoises indoors during winter, which is always difficult, given that, in my opinion, no mercury vapor bulb can substitute for the life giving rays of the sun, nor can any stale, recirculated air compare to the moisture and oxygen rich fresh air from a well kept, heavily planted outdoor enclosure. Me personally, I'd rather see my guys sleeping during the worst month of the year, rather than seeing them depressed and hunkered under a warm spotlight indoors, awaiting a day warm enough to allow them back into the territories they understand to be home.

Ultimately, however, I understand this is a controversial topic, and I also understand the point of view held by those who feel that brumation is a risky endeavor. This is certainly true. But the fact remains that we do not know the full extent of the side effects concerning a refrain from brumation, given what little study has been directed toward the matter. Brumation is actually quite easy once you get the hang of it. The trick is to do a lot of research and proceed when you're good and ready, in a fashion that is safe but also suits your own personal feelings.

T.G.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I do let mine hibernate. My reason is less work during the Holiday season.....hahahaha

tortoisenotturtle

Washington
Are you perhaps from the UK? I've made the experience that hibernation (yeah, I know it's technically brumation) is usually listed as a must on websites from the UK and other European countries, whereas here it's treated as optional. Fact is, nobody knows for sure what the long-term impact on Hermann's tortoises will be when they're not allowed to hibernate each winter.
I am not from the UK but it could've been a site from the UK I imagine

Natalie Jean

Uk, Cornwall
An interesting read of everyone's opinions. My little Noah will be 2 this winter and I read that this may be too young to 'hibernate' for the first time, any opinions on what age to start hibernation? Opinions much appreciated. :D

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
It's better to be safe than sorry, I think. So if you can safely brumate a species that typically brumates, that's the ideal, at least for a short while. If you cannot safely brumate for whatever reason, or even if you are not comfortable taking the risk, no foul, it's okay not to do it.

Wadzri

Brunei

1028762jld543t69m.gif

So i live in borneo island in asia so i dont need to hibernate my tortoise? Because the part that i am scared of is to hibernate them