Do homeana eat greens?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
I have 6 adult homeana hingebacks and I cannot get them to eat greens. Methods I've tried are to cut everything up small, and 2 days of no food.
They will only eat fruit,cuttlefish,slugs,worms, snails and mushrooms. Am I to worry. I know tortadise said they can eat as much as 80% protein. Should I starve them for longer then try greens, or is it just this species doesn't eat greens. I've caught them on the odd occasion eating dried leaves. Everything about them seems fine, quite active, especially when I spray them. Poops look normal.
Maybe they eat dried leaves in the wild.
Any thoughts please.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Mine devour greens. I'd try to simulate a dry season for them and warm it up maybe for them. I dunno. They just do. Some erosa here won't eat greens but other will ravage them. Kinixys are weird.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Mine devour greens. I'd try to simulate a dry season for them and warm it up maybe for them. I dunno. They just do. Some erosa here won't eat greens but other will ravage them. Kinixys are weird.
Thanks. So am I right in thinking that to try and imitate a dry season is because the slugs,snails and worms won't be out when it's dry. Therefore they have to eat greens during this season.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thanks. So am I right in thinking that to try and imitate a dry season is because the slugs,snails and worms won't be out when it's dry. Therefore they have to eat greens during this season.
Yeah that's a good idea for sure. There's something with erosa/homeana for sure with wet/dry seasons. Could also try a salad. Dice everything up and mix it about. Kinda force them to pick through the items and consume greens with protein and fruits.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
My persistence in trying to get these guys to eat greens is fading. They just are not interested in eating fresh greens, 3 day old greens seem to be higher up on the menu than fresh.
Today I fed fruit mushrooms and the usual waste of time greens that will sit there for days, my big girl came out of her corner turned her nose up to the fresh food and started eating the dried leaves that we use for substrate. I suppose I'll have to bow down to the 2 wk slug,worm and snail ban and let them feast again.
All they do when I omit protein for any length of time is sit in hiding for weeks, even months at one point of my persistence, so it suggests to me that their wet season has an abundance of bugs(maybe even strandard fish from the ebbing floods) fungi and fruits and the dry season is simply some dried up foliage to get by on.

I'm going to build a new enclosure for my hingebacks next year, I think it's best to commit to a year round wet season. Thoughts anyone.
IMG_20161223_122029.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
If you offer me cheesecake (snails) and a salad (salad...duh) I'll have the cheese cake. I have one redfoot who is a terrible hold out. He will turn his nose up at greens for a week until I cave and rub the greens down with watered down babyfood or Mazuri mush. He will chew your leg off at the ankle if you're holding protein. It's been over a year and a half. I think that's just going to be the way things go.

Could you maybe try one of those mixes with dried flowers/leaves/hay/etc and see if they just want to eat it dry since they seem to like the dried leaves? The aforementioned RF (dang it Vern!) will eat dried grape leaves with gusto.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

This is a good time of year to find fallen mulberry leaves. Maybe they'd like that.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm definitely going to look into dried out foliage as an option of greens. Don't know why I hadn't thought of purposely feeding dried foliage.
Thanks.