Do I chop up the food or not??

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatsacut

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am relatively new to tortoises but am learning a lot. My question is when feeding is it best to chop the lettuces up into tiny pieces or leave them in bigger pieces? I have one adult russian and one baby russian that I just got. My adult seems to like tearing off the pieces of lettuce so I haven't been chopping hers up but I wonder if the baby needs to have it chopped up?
Julie

thatsacut

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
another feeding question........Do you think it's best to have the food near the basking area under the light or on the other side where it is cooler? Does it really matter?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I know that alot of people do not chop up food. I don't make mine bite size, but reasonable pieces for my adults. They have no problem tearing off pieces. For my hatchlings, I do cut them up pretty small. Just to make it easier. And, I try not to give them ribs (hard part) I am always worried they will choke. As for location, I put mind just outside of the basking area so it is still warm, but the food doesn't dry out in 3 seconds.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
My three big girls who are 5.5 - 6.5 inches... they LOVE the ribs of the leaves, and even the hard stalks of like romaine hearts! They have such strong beaks, and I think they like the challenge! It passes the time! LOL! Of course I only give those every once in a while.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I'm sorry, I give my big ones the ribs just not my babies! My big guys love the ribs. It's like a dog chewing on a bone!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I agree, for hatchlings or sick animals I do fine chopping...or when trying to wean a tort onto "good" food from iceburg diets and such. For adults it's usually ripped chunks.

I find mine do enjoy having an occasional romaine feed as the entire head for a challenge....and a crunch to be heard all over the house...lol. Somedays they get whole leaves. Somedays the food is served hanging by a clip. I like feeding not only a variety of food, but serving it as many ways as I can.

As for location never under the lights, unless it's an animal being nursed to health, as stated it drys too quickly. Shy animals (such as Homes Hingebacks) I feed next to their hide entrances. Most of the time it's on the warm side of the enclosure, but once more, sometimes I vary the location.

Food never sits in one location nor is found in just one size of pieces in the wild, so why should we do so in captivity?

thatsacut

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you for all the helpful advice! I like that idea of varying the location of the food. And, yes I was finding the food to dry up too fast under the lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.