Do I have 2 different types of Tortoise?

Adamjsp

Location (City and/or State)
Dawlish
Hey,

I have 2 russian horsfield tortoises, or so I think. I've had them for about 6months. However they do look quite different. Can you take a look at these photos and tell me if they are the same breed.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20220308_204752.jpg
    20220308_204752.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 17
  • 20220308_204757.jpg
    20220308_204757.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
  • 20220308_204803.jpg
    20220308_204803.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 20

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hey,

I have 2 russian horsfield tortoises, or so I think. I've had them for about 6months. However they do look quite different. Can you take a look at these photos and tell me if they are the same breed.
Thanks
They appear to be the same species. The difference in coloration is just due to individual variation within the species.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey,

Thanks
I agree with Zovick. Same species. Russians can vary quite a bit in color, tone, and pattern.

There are no "breeds" of tortoise. Only different species, and in some cases, subspecies.

Your tortoises should be living in separate quarters. They should never be kept in pairs in the same enclosure. My apologies if you already know this, but it is life saving info if you did not know this.

Adamjsp

Dawlish
Hey, thanks for your replies.
Yes I have heard different things about them living together. I've heard male and male is a no go but female and female is OK?

However, you can't tell their sex for up to 3 years.

I was told when given that one was a boy and one was a girl and I know which is which. However, how can I even tell?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not a good picture for i.d.ing the sex, but I'm guessing they're both young females simply because males have such big tails I THINK we would be able to see it in the picture.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes I have heard different things about them living together. I've heard male and male is a no go but female and female is OK?

I was told when given that one was a boy and one was a girl and I know which is which. However, how can I even tell?
It doesn't matter if they are m/f, same sex or siblings - torts are territorial, solitary creatures and it is very stressful for them to share small spaces where they can't get away from each other. The stress can affect their immune system and make them prone to illness, one will eventually become dominant and display bullying behaviour which is very subtle to start with - staring, following, nudging, mounting - often mistaken for affection, hogging the food and best basking spot etc,. but is really the bully telling the other to leave. One tort often ends up much bigger than the other. It then becomes more aggressive with biting and barging, one trying to tip the other over, which can cause serious injury and even death.
It can start from a young age and I believe Russians are very intolerant of other torts. So to make sure both torts have happy safe homes it would be better to separate them asap.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

Russian tortoises are one of the most anti social tortoises.
Any two of them will probably lead to a bloody mess at some point. But multiples can sometimes work if they have a very large outside area to live in with different places to "claim" for each one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lyn explained this very well and I agree with her. I would add that the only people who will tell you that are people who don't know better, or people who really want to sell you two instead of just one, and don't care about the welfare of the animals.

Here is a common result of housing two together. This owner was knowledgable and experienced and also didn't see any signs of bullying prior to this picture:

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Not a good picture for i.d.ing the sex, but I'm guessing they're both young females simply because males have such big tails I THINK we would be able to see it in the picture.
I respectfully disagree, these are itty bitty and too young to determine their sex. Until 4.5" Russian tortoises all look female, unless they are an early blooming male that happens to 'flash' his boyt bits.

Talkinturtles

Millcreek, utah
I agree with Zovick. Same species. Russians can vary quite a bit in color, tone, and pattern.

There are no "breeds" of tortoise. Only different species, and in some cases, subspecies.

Your tortoises should be living in separate quarters. They should never be kept in pairs in the same enclosure. My apologies if you already know this, but it is life saving info if you did not know this.
that's not true. russian tortoises and many other types can live perfectly fine with others of their same species. russians are fine living with several in the same area, so long as it is large enough. we had an outdoor enclosure that was at least 12 x 20 feet. had 6 or 8 in there. they ignore each other for the most part, but there is no harm in it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
that's not true. russian tortoises and many other types can live perfectly fine with others of their same species. russians are fine living with several in the same area, so long as it is large enough. we had an outdoor enclosure that was at least 12 x 20 feet. had 6 or 8 in there. they ignore each other for the most part, but there is no harm in it.
It absolutely is true. I said pairs. Not groups. Groups of juveniles are usually fine together, but not pairs.

Russians are one of the worst, if not THE worst for being territorial and aggressive. As adults, they often have to be separated. Did you click the link I left? Did you see the picture?