Do I have a Desert or Sulcata Tortoise

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Wow, that desert tortoise looks so good! Shell is so smooth... Did you buy him from somewhere?

baseballturtle48

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Such a beautiful DT. I grew up in CA and had a few DTs during the 1960s & 1970s. They are so personable and intelligent, just magnificent creatures. :<3:

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Am I missing something? Are we ignoring the fact that having these without permits is illegal?

I don't mean to be blunt. I just want to make sure this isn't overlooked if there's a chance it should be discussed/confirmed.

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Am I missing something? Are we ignoring the fact that having these without permits is illegal?

I don't mean to be blunt. I just want to make sure this isn't overlooked if there's a chance it should be discussed/confirmed.

I agree, I am happy that you're happy motherof5:) but id check the law , I understand there are regulations and permits involved, and it would be a shame if it went wrong for you and the tortoise.

Also I know that there are conservation society's out there who would be interested in the fact you have a gopherus and they try and keep a record of them, for conservational purposes, I understand the species is endangered.

Seems like a good way to help and protect them:)

Enjoy your friend.

Joey

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
As several members mentioned, just need to get a permit by AZ Fish and Game to keep the tortoise. Very good looking individual, by the way.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas

Nope. Tom already asked where they were and told them they needed to get a permit so.... yeah.