Do i have to be a full time resident to purchase a radiated tortoise from someone with a cbw permit

SweetGreekTorts

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
If you live in the same state as the person selling a radiated tortoise, then you do not need a permit, but you need to show a valid driver's license as proof.

If you are buying a radiated tortoise from someone who lives in a different state, then you need a CBW permit for the radiated tortoise species.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would imagine if you were able to purchase a radiata, that when the time comes to move back to your home country you probably wouldn't be able to take the tortoise with you. @zovick @Sterant ??

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
I would imagine if you were able to purchase a radiata, that when the time comes to move back to your home country you probably wouldn't be able to take the tortoise with you. @zovick @Sterant ??
If we are talking about moving them between countries, then no, you cannot do that. CITES prohibits any movement internationally.

As for state to state - You need to be a full-time resident of the state for it to count. For instance, if you are a resident of NY, but own a vacation home in NC, you can't do anything in NC without a CBW permit.

You can buy and sell within your state without the CBW, but you might need a state permit, as we do in NY.

And to be clear, if you want to buy a radiated tortoise from someone in a different state, you BOTH need CBW permits....not just the seller.

zovick

10 Year Member!

Getting a Radiated Tortoise into or out of the US is not legally possible today, just as John said above.