Do I Need Organic Soil to Plant Testudo Seed Mix?

Quixx66

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Hi Y’all,

I’m planting the seed mix in planting bags soon so I’ll be buying gardening soil to fill the bags? Should I get organic or will regular soil do?

Also, how to control pest safely without chemicals so it’s safe for my Hermann’s?

Thanks.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.

”Organic” gardening soil doesn't really mean anything. Theoretically you could grind up the most toxic plant & it could be considered organic. So, you need to check the contents…no fertilizers, no herbicides, no pesticides… Make sure you look at the contents. Since you are just growing plants, not using as a substrate, just be very careful & aware. Organic doesn't mean 100% safe.

good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Mark's thoughts on the matter.

I've found no acceptable way to control pests safely. I just try to feed it out and make regular cuttings before the bugs destroy it. Its a race every year.

Quixx66

Louisiana
Greetings.

”Organic” gardening soil doesn't really mean anything. Theoretically you could grind up the most toxic plant & it could be considered organic. So, you need to check the contents…no fertilizers, no herbicides, no pesticides… Make sure you look at the contents. Since you are just growing plants, not using as a substrate, just be very careful & aware. Organic doesn't mean 100% safe.

good luck!
Thank you! I never considered that. Scary!

Quixx66

Louisiana
I agree with Mark's thoughts on the matter.

I've found no acceptable way to control pests safely. I just try to feed it out and make regular cuttings before the bugs destroy it. Its a race every year.
Wow! Thanks for the info.