Do i need permit to take my desert tortoise to vet?

Torrtiehibiscus0928

Location (City and/or State)
Los Banos
hey everyone i wanted to find a vet in California to rake my desert tortoise for a check up shes less than a year old. I worry about her sometimes because she has habits that are not "normal" behaviors, spoiled behaviors such as sleeping in bed with me eating the substrate of I attempt even putting her back in to her enclosure. She literally wants to be with me all day all night when i go to sleep I trick her by letting her hide on me which puts her straightto sleep n put her inside one of my shirts back into enclosurewithout substrate in the morning when she hears im up shes rasing hell till I acknowledge her n take her backout and this terrifies me health wise I don't want to take her to a vet and have her taken away because she's a protected animal id kill me and her if that happened shes a emotional support for me especially at this moment im fighting for my 3 month son back from my bfs mom and its my 1st mother's day and don't get to see my baby so she really helps me and if I lost her Idk how I'd be... so how do I require a permit for her so I can make sure shes healthy and what not thank you in advance the second picture is her trying toget my attention when I wake up lol

Attachments

• 20210205_235120.jpg
    20210205_235120.jpg
    838.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210423_193756.jpg
    20210423_193756.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 48

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're not describing your tortoise's strange habits, but yours. You're not doing him any favors by not allowing him to be a tortoise. There isn't anything going on wth the tortoise a vet can help you with. It's all up to you.

Torrtiehibiscus0928

Los Banos
Well obviously strange to you is a diffrent definition of strange than it is to me... I just didn't know tortoises had personalities and liked being human companions so her wanting to be with me all day and not liking her enclousere was strange to me, but thanks for letting me know im the one that is not her. I guess this was the wrong place to say or ask what I did... all I wanted to know is info ona permit for my tortoise thanks for answering the question... I'm not preventing her from being a tortoise I'm scared of her eating substrate which she does so if she wants to be out with me im not stopping her. I wasjust trying to say the apportance of this tortoise too me why I'm scared of her getting taken from not having permit or whatever requirements is needed..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Obviously I hurt your feelings, and I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be mean or rude. It's just that tortoises are wild animals, not domesticated like dogs and cats, and as such, they need to be set up in an environment similar to how they live in the wild. They're really not an interactive 'pet', but rather something to watch and enjoy looking at and taking care of.

To answer your question, you don't need a permit to go to the vet, but you DO need a permit to keep the tortoise. Here's where you find the permit information:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hey everyone i wanted to find a vet in California to rake my desert tortoise for a check up shes less than a year old. I worry about her sometimes because she has habits that are not "normal" behaviors, spoiled behaviors such as sleeping in bed with me eating the substrate of I attempt even putting her back in to her enclosure. She literally wants to be with me all day all night when i go to sleep I trick her by letting her hide on me which puts her straightto sleep n put her inside one of my shirts back into enclosurewithout substrate in the morning when she hears im up shes rasing hell till I acknowledge her n take her backout and this terrifies me health wise I don't want to take her to a vet and have her taken away because she's a protected animal id kill me and her if that happened shes a emotional support for me especially at this moment im fighting for my 3 month son back from my bfs mom and its my 1st mother's day and don't get to see my baby so she really helps me and if I lost her Idk how I'd be... so how do I require a permit for her so I can make sure shes healthy and what not thank you in advance the second picture is her trying toget my attention when I wake up lol
You don't need a permit for the vet. The vet doesn't care about that. They want your business. They don't want to see you lose your tortoise. People take illegal ferrets in all the time. Vets aren't law enforcement. They see it as none of their business. Their business is helping you keep your animals healthy.

Be careful as most vets know little about tortoise care. They will usually do the wrong things and give you terrible care advice. Don't let them do a calcium or vitamin injection.

Substrate eating is usually due to incorrect diet and/or mineral deficiency or imbalance. Too much calcium too often can cause it, or I usually see it when people feed a lot of grocery store greens or fruit. I'd like to help you figure out the problem and solve it.

What substrate are you using? Is it damp?

What foods are you offering?

Definitely get your permit. Its free, easy, and no one will contact you about it. Just makes it safer if ever anyone did show up asking.

Torrtiehibiscus0928

Los Banos
You don't need a permit for the vet. The vet doesn't care about that. They want your business. They don't want to see you lose your tortoise. People take illegal ferrets in all the time. Vets aren't law enforcement. They see it as none of their business. Their business is helping you keep your animals healthy.

Be careful as most vets know little about tortoise care. They will usually do the wrong things and give you terrible care advice. Don't let them do a calcium or vitamin injection.

Substrate eating is usually due to incorrect diet and/or mineral deficiency or imbalance. Too much calcium too often can cause it, or I usually see it when people feed a lot of grocery store greens or fruit. I'd like to help you figure out the problem and solve it.

What substrate are you using? Is it damp?

What foods are you offering?

Definitely get your permit. Its free, easy, and no one will contact you about it. Just makes it safer if ever anyone did show up asking.

Torrtiehibiscus0928

Los Banos
Hey thank you tom this morning she was fine and all of a sudden she just darted off she was on my bed with me eating some hibiscus and she just panicked running and kind of like doing what dogs do the booty scoot twisting back end back and forth . So I contacted a lady that has a reptile rescue and said she has 25 yes experience with tortoises.. long story short she told me she is almost certain its the mbd because I also told her for a few weeks now my torrtie has bee. Making a clicking sound when she eats or drinks. She told me to start giving her calcium and that the light I had was wrong I believed I had the right one because I asked petco for a specific one n they of course gave me just a heating light so I now I have her under the correct lighting and I started her on more calcium about a few hours ago but she also told me her poops should be a little more solid she said she's sure its mbd or if its not that then maybe a intestinal compacttion because I had caught her eating my hair that she found I loose alot of hair I always have my hair all over I try my best to clean it up but sometimes it gets missed. But I'm sooooo worried about my baby. Do u have any ideas she eats normally hibiscus flowers and leafs and broccoli and these alfalfa pellets from petco

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Everything you've posted in your last post should be telling you that this tortoise needs its own dedicated enclosure/habitat! Tortoises live a very long time. There isn't a tortoise known that has died of "old age." They die from illness, accident, and many of the things you've listed in your last post.

Please give your tortoise the chance to live a long, healthy life. Set it up in an enclosure and stop allowing it loose in the house.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey thank you tom this morning she was fine and all of a sudden she just darted off she was on my bed with me eating some hibiscus and she just panicked running and kind of like doing what dogs do the booty scoot twisting back end back and forth . So I contacted a lady that has a reptile rescue and said she has 25 yes experience with tortoises.. long story short she told me she is almost certain its the mbd because I also told her for a few weeks now my torrtie has bee. Making a clicking sound when she eats or drinks. She told me to start giving her calcium and that the light I had was wrong I believed I had the right one because I asked petco for a specific one n they of course gave me just a heating light so I now I have her under the correct lighting and I started her on more calcium about a few hours ago but she also told me her poops should be a little more solid she said she's sure its mbd or if its not that then maybe a intestinal compacttion because I had caught her eating my hair that she found I loose alot of hair I always have my hair all over I try my best to clean it up but sometimes it gets missed. But I'm sooooo worried about my baby. Do u have any ideas she eats normally hibiscus flowers and leafs and broccoli and these alfalfa pellets from petco
Read this care sheet and follow all the recommendations in it. Food, heating, lighting, housing, sunning, soaking and much more is all explained. There things will keep your tortoise healthy and happy. Questions are welcome. Happy to clarify or explain more.

TortugaNiko

California
Obviously I hurt your feelings, and I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be mean or rude. It's just that tortoises are wild animals, not domesticated like dogs and cats, and as such, they need to be set up in an environment similar to how they live in the wild. They're really not an interactive 'pet', but rather something to watch and enjoy looking at and taking care of.

To answer your question, you don't need a permit to go to the vet, but you DO need a permit to keep the tortoise. Here's where you find the permit information:

Link not working