Do Indian Star Tortoises drink water??

Samyak Dadda

Location (City and/or State)
India
My Indian Star Tortoises have never drank water from a container or when i soak them in warm water.

So do they drink water???

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Absolutely they do. Just make sure the water is in a shallow dish and is cleaned out at least once daily. Some of the torts I've had in the past often made it less than apparent when they were drinking. Water is necessary for all tortoises, even desert species. If you look at it closely while soaking it, often you will see bubbles appear as they are drinking. Sometimes it's just a quick gulp or two that is not readily noticeable.

seanang168

10 Year Member!
They do drink. It is hard to catch them in action though. As they drink quite infrequently. They also like to poo in the water dish

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Absolutely they do. Keep giving fresh water daily and keep up the soaks. Tortoises will usually extend their heads out and under the water. Some all the way under some not. Be sure you have a large dish they can get into on their own and that it's deep enough to put their head into but not too deep that they don't want to go into it. The clay saucers used to put under flower pots work well.