Do musk turtles really stink?

ShadowFox_22311

5 Year Member
Thinking about getting getting a musk/ stinkpot but do they really stink or really have a strong smell or do they smell just like any other water turtle?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
Stink pots can let out an odor that is very hard to describe but I will say this, it does in fact stink very bad. It is not a continuous odor though. Baby mud turtles might be a better option but the little musks are so darn cute!

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
If they are captive bred usually they don't release the yellow fluid since their used to being handled compared to wild ones. As for the smell most people say its a mild smell and you wont really notice it unless you have the turtle close to the face thats even if it were to release any fluid from its glands. Personally i like the smell. I don't mind it at all.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
As said before, if it's captive bred I wouldn't worry about smell issues. But yes wild ones (especially old males) can stink pretty bad when upset.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Well, I don't know about mild but the one that let loose in my Brother's truck must have been rotten because it stunk for weeks in there!

The two babies I bought his son don't stink and have not so I am inclined to believe the captive bred theory and the young theory, but that old guy, whew!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I have two Stinkpot musk turtles that are now 4 years old that I raised from hatchings and they do not stink. When I got them they were the size of a nickel - so cute. :D

ShadowFox_22311

5 Year Member
Saleama said:
Stink pots can let out an odor that is very hard to describe but I will say this, it does in fact stink very bad. It is not a continuous odor though. Baby mud turtles might be a better option but the little musks are so darn cute!

How big do mud turtles get?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
American species of Muds are usually 4 inches on average. Very similar to musk for husbandry

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I know wild ones smell like poo ! Never had one cb before so don't know on that part . But they are all made the same . So if you don't mess with them I'm pretty sure they will give you a stinky surprise .

abbiepaigexx

I have had two stinkpots for two years now, they do stink a little but it's bearable! And they only release the smell in stressful circumstances, so hardly ever! They're so cute that the smell doesn't even matter!