1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! The 2018 Tortoise Forum Calendar is here! Click here to pre-order! Proceeds go directly to keeping TFO online and FREE for all to use! Thank you for your support!

Do not buy from petsmart or petco

Discussion in 'Debatable Topics' started by Digger&Blinky, Jan 21, 2017.

1. KevinGG

KevinGG Well-Known Member

I don't think you're overthinking it. I was thinking the same thing, but was scared off by the logistics. I'm glad to hear it has worked in certain instances.

Like most things, I think the best course is for someone to just start. Begin by writing a care sheet that addresses the above concerns. Difficult part is figuring out guidelines that are correct, yet are still enticing enough for a chain store to adopt. Would there even be an incentive for them to read it? For the sake of my thought process, let's say yes for now. This could then be presented to people who would give it some credibility and feedback. Vets, turtle/tortoise conservation groups, breeders, etc. Could even be presented to Josh. Certainly, something on the guide that read: backed by the TSA, TC, TTPG, TurtleRoom, TortoiseForum (home to such and such number of chelonian keepers worldwide), and x number of vets would give them better reason to consider it. Obviously, this needs more thought, but let's keep talking about it.
    Will likes this.
  2. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

Kevin, I'm glad we followed this through. Thank you again for explaining your POV so well. While we may not agree on all points, we would both like to see things improve at these two pet store chains. I am friends with a couple of Petco managers, and this conversation has inspired me to take them to task. They both know that those pamphlets are not great, but they seem powerless to change the corporate policies and are bound to follow them. Other than voting with the almighty dollar, I'd like to ask them to help me figure out the best way(s) to get through to the people who set the policy.
    KevinGG likes this.
  3. KevinGG

KevinGG Well-Known Member

Thank you Tom. Please keep us posted on this. I'd be very happy to help in any capacity.
  4. Andy27012

Andy27012 Member

Working for one of the two mentioned big box pet stores this video is a lie. While that supplier may not treat their animals well we do not and would not purchase from them. If animals come in or become sick in our care they go to the vet regardless of cost. If an animal does come in sick we do not sell it until it has recovered. Animal care is very strict and taken very seriously. We are regulated by the usda and purchase turtles and tortoises from the "worlds largest producer of salmonella free turtles".
    Foursteels and cmac3 like this.
  5. Bonjowr

Bonjowr New Member

Some people that work at these stores seem to not agree with you.
  6. Andy27012

Andy27012 Member

That is a great example of a bad apple, assuming it's true and not staged they are not following policy.
  7. Tom

That video seems really far fetched to me. It looks totally staged. Still, there are plenty of stupid and inept people in the world that could have made a mistake like that. Petco is capable of hiring a moron just the same as any other company in the world.

If some Petco employee accidentally threw that lizard in the trash, then they should be dealt with accordingly. That's a big mistake. Who here reading this has not made a mistake at some point in their life. I have. Plenty of times. If that is in fact what happened here, and an individual employee made a stupid error, I would hardly damn an entire company with thousands of employees because of it. How many here would stand up to the kind of scrutiny that these pet stores are under nowadays?
  8. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 5 Year Member Platinum Supporter

And how many times have we seen someone come here and ask if their tortoise is dead? It's sometimes pretty hard to tell.
  9. KrissyLeigh

KrissyLeigh Active Member

Wow, y'all have debated this topic thoroughly and well so I won't add to it. I WILL say that Petco does care for it's animals - I bought a rat from them and it turned out to be sick. So I went to the store, talked to the manager, and Petco set up a vet appointment for me and my rat the same day. They paid for the visit and medications (thank goodness, because it was a $200 bill).

If they are willing to do that for a $7 rat, I think they would do the same for their other critters.

Just wanted to share my experience, since the original post was very bold and encompassing. The rat, Cleopatra, has fully recovered after treatment. Also, I had no problems with the other rat I bought from them.
    bigt0706, TammyJ and Tom like this.
  10. SnapperAndShelldon

SnapperAndShelldon Member

This is horrifying. But the thing to think about is that pet stores are almost always temporary homes. The Petsmart near me isn't bad and believe it or not one of our tortoises is from there. But again, that's no excuse for how terrifying that video is.But we demand cheap tortoises, and each day they're more in demand, so they give us cheap tortoises. I wish captive breeding could be a bigger thing, so we can still have torts without harming native populations.
  11. Digger&Blinky

Digger&Blinky Member

I cant beleive i started this. That was a long time ago and i guess i had no proof that if was petco.
  12. Digger&Blinky

Digger&Blinky Member

I dont even know how to delete this
    Foursteels likes this.
  13. Tortoise lover 2000

Tortoise lover 2000 Member

I got a Russian from petco and he has not had a single illness for 8 years!
  14. LeoTheTortoise

LeoTheTortoise Member

What you all seem to be missing is that these stores are only as good as the management, and that is obviously subject to change. What we need to be doing is making sure that the stores we are buying from in our area are humane to our definitions, whatever that may be, and advocating change where we see that it is due.

I think the idea for some sort of certification is GENIUS and this is the absolute best place to do it. We have the opportunity to institute real change that affects the lives of real animals. This is a chance to spread the knowledge offered on these forums to everyone. I for one am more than willing to do my part and more to get this idea off the ground. 'C'mon tortoise forums, lets rally to make change and spread our knowledge to pet stores and owners everywhere!
    MissMarg&me likes this.
  15. Tom

No. Not really. The directives on how the animals are cared for and housed come form the corporate offices. The individual store managers have no say in the matter.

You will need to contact the corporate offices and convince them to change their policies if you want to change things in the individual stores.
    Jay Bagley likes this.
  16. LeoTheTortoise

LeoTheTortoise Member

If there were to be a certification, it would go through corporate offices and affect all stores by very definition. Also, it would more importantly help to inform owners. Besides, what individuals choose to do (like in the case of that iguana video) cannot be controlled by a company directive.
  17. LeoTheTortoise

LeoTheTortoise Member

Something is better than nothing.
  18. LeoTheTortoise

LeoTheTortoise Member

...and I doubt anybody in Petco headquarters is saying to themselves "lets abuse animals and cause suffering for economic gain." We should give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they don't know any better in regards to enclosure size or water dishes. We have all encountered an ignorant pet store employee. But we do know better and should do something other than just criticize them.
  19. Tom

I agree with you.

Call corporate headquarters for Petco and Petsmart tomorrow and ask to speak to the executive in charge of tortoise care guidelines. When they get on the phone, tell them that we said they are doing it wrong, and they need bigger enclosures, better food, white lights instead of red bulbs in the day time, and no ramped water bowls for tortoises. Tell the person that we want these changes implemented nationwide ASAP. Tell them you are educating them on these matters because you want to help them do business better and set a better example for their customers.

Let me know what they say…

Oh! And don't forget to tell them to remind their employees to not throw any iguanas in the garbage!
  20. Nancy Coffelt

Nancy Coffelt New Member

I totally agree with you.