DO NOT ORDER FROM TORTOISE TOWN

Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Hello everyone, after less than a month of owning my sulcata hatchling from tortoise town, and $300+ of vet bills, I’m going to go ahead and advise you not to order from tortoise town. While they have an almost perfect review score online, i have heard nothing but heartache from their customers. Their website looks proffesional, yet they use copy righted photos that do not belong to them- of tortoises that aren’t theirs. They may answer your questions with smiles and seemingly helpful (but incorrect) information- but they are nothing but crooks. They raise sick tortoises, and sell them off at crazy prices. After several messages to them about how my Tortoise is withering away, they have not so much as bat an eye at my problems. If you want a healthy Animal, contact the mods on here, or check the vendor reviews. I might loose my Innocent baby tortoises to symptoms that could’ve been prevented if they cared about their animals in the slightest. Thanks for your time.

Jodimsteinberg5

Knoxville
I’m loosing one from them too. I’ve only had him 2 months. How do I contact the mods on here to get a healthy one? I can’t do this heart break again. He’s still alive and staying overnight at the exotic veterinary clinic but the said his prognosis is not good. I’ll do everything I can for him.

Jerry's Mom

MA
I wish I had found this forum BEFORE I found Tortoise Town. I got my guy from them three weeks ago. He appears to be happy and healthy, but after reading many threads and comments about how bad they are, I'm on edge that my little guy isn't as healthy as I think he is. I pray to the tortoise gods that I'm one of the few who ended up with a healthy baby! I also wish this forum would come up before sites like Tortoise Town and other not-so-great sites that recommend improper care. I sure have learned SO much more from this forum than I have from the 100s of other sites I visited before finding this forum.

Lewisville, Texas
I wish I had found this forum BEFORE I found Tortoise Town. I got my guy from them three weeks ago. He appears to be happy and healthy, but after reading many threads and comments about how bad they are, I'm on edge that my little guy isn't as healthy as I think he is. I pray to the tortoise gods that I'm one of the few who ended up with a healthy baby! I also wish this forum would come up before sites like Tortoise Town and other not-so-great sites that recommend improper care. I sure have learned SO much more from this forum than I have from the 100s of other sites I visited before finding this forum.
Best of wishes. Mine started out looking fine and almost instantly just dropped. Within a week he became deathly ill.

JAStort

Albuquerque
I ordered two tortoises from Tortoise Town. When they arrived, both have significant pyramiding. I called them and was told they would outgrow it, which I know they won’t but I am trying very hard to keep it from getting worse by providing humidity, warm soaks, proper heat and lighting, and a proper diet. They have other tortoises for sale, and I asked for a picture of the three they had advertised. Now they won’t respond to my emails.

Spread the word: Tortoise Town sells damaged tortoises that have been raised in a dry environment.

jwking

Virginia
I unfortunately fell prey to tortoise town as well. I ordered my baby leopard from tortoise town after reading many positive reviews online. I had done an extensive amount of research on my leopard and made sure her enclosure was perfect and I was feeding her correctly. She never once ate... I contacted tortoise town and told them about the issue. They asked to see pictures of my enclosure and agreed it all looked fine and what I was offering her was correct. However, they clearly sold me a sick baby and unfortunately she died 3 weeks after I got her and never once did I see her eat. DO NOT BUY FROM TORTOISE TOWN.

Kforbes

Latrobe, Pa.
My son bought this baby from tortise town in Jan. He
brought her to me to care for. After reading, learning, researching and doing all that I could for her.....she died early this morning. I was so attached to her, loved caring for her an now shes gone. Broken hearted....where can u find and buy a healthy baby? I would like to try again, my son spent $500

J9inCT

Tortoise Club
Seminole, FL
I purchased a marginated tortoise hatchling we named Maggie. Same experience as others. We lost him/her after 3 months. Heartbroken. I thought we had done something wrong in spite of following all care instructions. After reading this, maybe not. :-(

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
Same here. I had bought two leopard hatchlings from them and one passed within the first month, the other died about a month and a half later.

After that i got 3 happy healthy hatchlings from Kapidolo Farms and today they are now almost 2 1/2 years old and doing great!

Baby12345

Lawrenceville
Same here. Irdered mine wen. They shouldn't ship till Monday bc it was cold. Shipped but they forgot the food. It was "ok" for 3 days. Wouldn't open its eyes, it died in two days.
The co. # is a cell phone. Fake site with every one else pics. Guy wont answer calls or text. Guy didnt send my food. My niece is heartbroken bc she thought she did something wrong.

Catiandria

Dover, Florida
Oh my goodness, my heart goes out to everyone here. I too bought my Indian Star from Tortoise Town in April of 2017. I got him when he was 1 month old. They overnight shipped him through FedEx. When I opened the box right as he arrived he was upside down in the box. The keep up sticker was upside down or he was packaged incorrectly. He was also ICE cold. I live in Florida so it was not cold outside, low 80's at the least. Supposedly he was shipped with heating pads but there was no warmth whatsoever in his container. He would not eat or drink so I took to grinding up Mazuri pellets in my mortar and adding water to make a paste and he gobbled it up, it also helped me make sure he was getting enough water. I also had to finely chop prickly pear cactus for him to eat and he LOVED that. He definitely took a lot of attention and care the first 6 months which I just assumed was because he was just 1 month old. He was my first experience with a tortoise and now I seem that I may have gotten incredibly lucky that he survived. He just turned 3 on March 17th. My heart goes out to everyone with the attachments they made and the loss that followed. Attached is a picture of him around 2 to 3 months old and a photo taken today. A group member already advised me on the sand so that will be getting fixed but its just his daytime outdoor enclosure 0101jpeg.jpg so I will be keeping him indoors until I fix my native soil.

Attachments

vkpaone

NJ
Hi everyone. I saw this review as I was searching for somewhere to purchase a small turtle for my daughter. I know this is a tortoise forum; however, I was hoping someone may know of a reputable breeder for turtles? We have been looking for a while now and I am hesitant due to mixed reviews. thank you!
I purchased a tortoise almost a year ago and they told me NOT in stock and would send another that wasn't ready yet. Still NO TORTOISE OR MONEY! They won't return my calls or emails! OUT $375!!!!!! I've Been SCAMMED!!!!!!!

AJ457

New York
I wish I would have found this forum earlier. I recently purchased a baby tortoise from Tortoise Town; a not so good experience so far, very little to no communication form these guys. Didn't receive a shipping confirmation until I reached out to my credit card company. Within 20 mins after disputing the charge, I received e-mail & text UPS tracking information. Now, I just hope that to get a healthy tortoise.
If the tortoise does make it here, are there any helpful suggestion anyone one on this forum can provide me with, any information would be gladly appreciated. This tortoise is a gift for my daughter, we would both be devastated if it was sick and died prematurely. Thanks in advance for any advice...

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
FYI I've heard that CBreptiles and Tortoise Town are the same company.
They are definitely the same place behind the scenes.

I bought Ghido from there and they jerked me around for 2 weeks saying the warehouse flooded and they can't send him yet. I took a whole week off so I could be there when he came, but that plan was ruined. I had to change my shipping info to my work so I could be there to take him home 🤬 they also said they'd send a bag of mazuri for the inconvenience and never did.
I never got a shipping notification either so it was a complete surprise as I was working to get a little package set on my counter. Not cool. Thankfully I could rush home and get him into his enclosure i had set up. They also told me my baby Leo should be kept at 50% humidity with one quick spike into 80%. And I'm 90% sure he was a lot younger than they told me he was. Do not buy from there. Super shady

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA
I also wish I would have seen this thread before buying my leopard yearling. I actually bought from CBReptile.com which is Tortoise Town, my Papal payment went to Tortoise Town. My actual overall experience with them was not bad, they were very responsive to my questions over email and the transaction and shipping of my tortoise was as expected. I even bought something from them that they weren't able to ship and the credited me the amount so I could buy it locally. As for my new tortoise, when it arrived it was almost 10 months, about 80 grams and already had some pyramiding. I've had my tortoise for about three months now and he is up to 137 grams so he is gaining weight at a decent clip and I am keeping my fingers crossed that he doesn't have any issues. Hopefully I will be one of the lucky ones and not have to endure the pain that others have with their babies.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I also wish I would have seen this thread before buying my leopard yearling. I actually bought from CBReptile.com which is Tortoise Town, my Papal payment went to Tortoise Town. My actual overall experience with them was not bad, they were very responsive to my questions over email and the transaction and shipping of my tortoise was as expected. I even bought something from them that they weren't able to ship and the credited me the amount so I could buy it locally. As for my new tortoise, when it arrived it was almost 10 months, about 80 grams and already had some pyramiding. I've had my tortoise for about three months now and he is up to 137 grams so he is gaining weight at a decent clip and I am keeping my fingers crossed that he doesn't have any issues. Hopefully I will be one of the lucky ones and not have to endure the pain that others have with their babies.
So far mine is going well too, but I will always worry until he gains more weight. He's only 58g now at supposedly 7 1/2 months. We'll just have to see... he is gaining though so thats good

StaffordC

San Luis Obispo, CA
I really wish that I would have seen this post BEFORE I ordered from Tortoise Town. I just received my Ibera Greek hatchling today, and after reading all of these posts, I am just praying that he is going to be ok. I am a first time tortoise owner, so I don't really know what to look for in a tortoise to see if he is sick, or not doing the normal things that he is supposed to be doing. I received him this morning, and he spent most of the day today under his basking lamp and sleeping( I am assuming this is normal because he was just shipped from NJ to CA which i'm sure is traumatic). He walked around his enclosure I set up for him a couple of times to explore his new surroundings, and he would go to his terra cotta saucer to drink water periodically. He didn't eat anything today, but I am hoping that he will tomorrow. When I unboxed him, I let him soak in 85 degree water for 15-20 minutes to drink his fill of water. If anyone can tell me some specific things to look out for to see if he is ill in any way, that would be greatly appreciated!

LexiPrather524

Illinois
Best of wishes. Mine started out looking fine and almost instantly just dropped. Within a week he became deathly ill.
I just received my tortoise (Hermann’s) yesterday morning(Friday) after THREE DAYS of her being missing in shipping. Contacted Tortoise Town and they said she should have arrived Tuesday and to contact UPS. She arrived in horrible packaging and was severely dehydrated. Today she’s doing much better from what I can tell but she’s my first tortoise and I’m terrified I’ll go through what the people in this forum have.