Do Red-foots Burrow? New evidence

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
All this burrowing everybody is talking about most likely happens because they are trying to get away from those basking lights they are being subjected to!
Turn off those big lights so they can relax guys!!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I live in a sub tropical location that might closely mimic a Redfoots natural range.
My Redfoot don't burrow. But they do wallow out shallow areas of dirt or mulch and sleep in the depression. Usually some place shady. Never out in the open. They also spend long periods just hanging out knee deep in mud or a water pool. All of this, I assume is because they just like being damp.
This morning, when I let my group out of their night boxes.(it was 50 last night) they did kind of bask. In that they stepped out into the sunshine and didn't move much for about 30 minutes.
When I let any Redfoot out into my yard, they don't eat grass. But are actually very picky. They seek out certain weeds....Like they already know what tastes best.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
All this burrowing everybody is talking about most likely happens because they are trying to get away from those basking lights they are being subjected to!
Turn off those big lights so they can relax guys!!!
I agree.
Redfoot are NOT fond of harsh lighting. Your only lighting should be a T8 UV "5.0" FLORESCENT tube. For heat, use a small CHE.
They're also sensitive to too much heat.
My outdoors group come out of hiding at dawn. Eat. Walk around. And by noon they are hiding in the shade. Out of the sun and heat until dusk.
(Not directed at anyone in general)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Thanks Ed - I've received all kinds of grief [ by the "think-they-know's" ] because I say - ' Redfoot tortoises rely on their
diet more than basking to acquire their "UVB" needs' . 'They' somehow translate that as saying "You don't need UVB bulbs for your
redfoot tortoise". Well since they don't bask.. where do they get in from???

When Ed says "they did kind of bask" .. what they were doing is "thermo-regulating" / warming their bones!

If your redfood sits under the light for extended periods.. it's probably because it's trying to warm up.

Read the forum Caresheet - it only took 7 years of "observing" them [ to establish / note their habits ].

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks Ed - I've received all kinds of grief [ by the "think-they-know's" ] because I say - ' Redfoot tortoises rely on their
diet more than basking to acquire their "UVB" needs' . 'They' somehow translate that as saying "You don't need UVB bulbs for your
redfoot tortoise". Well since they don't bask.. where do they get in from???

When Ed says "they did kind of bask" .. what they were doing is "thermo-regulating" / warming their bones!

If your redfood sits under the light for extended periods.. it's probably because it's trying to warm up.

Read the forum Caresheet - it only took 7 years of "observing" them [ to establish / note their habits ].

I hear you, NERD.
But some how.....maybe its climate or something else....Some members "first hand observations" differ.
I tossed in my two cents because I'm one of our members who's Redfoot live (and sometimes hatch) 100% outdoors in nearly ideal conditions.
Maybe I'm wrong. I very well could be, but I assume that my animals act like they might in nature. At least to a great extent.
What I see....What you've seen can be much different than what others have observed. These guys DO adapt a bit.
Everyone's tortoise enclosure isn't ideal. Everyone's Redfoot experience will differ.
It might almost be apples and oranges as they say. (With no one actually being wrong)

And I've mentioned many times that my Redfoot don't bask.
In almost 30 years I haven't seen what I would call basking. They actually seem to flat out dislike the sun.
The behavior this morning was some 55 degree tortoises being placed in some 72 degree grass. They needed to warm up..
Sorry @zenoandthetortoise for side tracking your thread.
What the NERD and I have gone over here has been said before.

Last edited:

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Ed when we refer to how - "first hand observations differ" we don't know if those observers have .. ALL 4 parameters in balance.. ( see Caresheet )
especially outdoors and hopefully indoors! And that is critical!!!

[ and from the multitude of email questions from literally worldwide - some of which participate here ] My observations agree with yours
and those that by choice or chance have balanced the vital parameters. That being said - Redfoot tortoises seek shelter from the sun / light...
what differs is their options!

And yes Ed.. being said before doesn't mean ALL have heard and/or believe and follow.

tpence1991

Coppell, TX
I find mine like this occasionally. Not necessarily burrow. But likes to dig out a little "nest"
vcRR7gn.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The above is what I sometimes see mine do in the winter months. When it is slightly less humid outside.
I would call that a normal behavior.
It's what I was referring to without photos.