Do Russian tortoises shed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trongbui

5 Year Member
I just brought my tortie home from Petsmart. Since its tail is really short,IMG_0692.JPGIMG_0692.JPGIMG_0692.JPG I assume that it's a female. She's about 4". She's very active and is a good eater. However, this morning when I fed her I noticed some peeled skin around her neck and her front leg. I'm quite nervous since this is my first tort. My question is do they shed like snakes? I also attached a picture where you can see her "shedding" leg. I know there are many experts here, so please help me out! Thanks in advance guys :)

Last edited by a moderator:

TORTOISEMAN1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FL
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Do tortoises shed more if they don't have adequate humidity or a humid substrate?

I think it would be harder for them to shed as easy with inadequate humidity.

A humid substrate would be best i think.

just my thoughts I don't know :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi trongbui:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

Most desert-type tortoises have peeling skin around their neck area. Nothing to worry about. Just don't pick at it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
As Yvonne said, tortoises shed. They are reptiles and, like snakes they shed their skin from time to time. It's nothing to do with humidity; they just do it.

I'm generally not aware of it with Joe unless he's just out of hibernation. I assume he rubs the skin off as he pushes around in the undergrowth and digs in the garden.

Don't pick at it as you could make the skin sore.

trongbui

5 Year Member
Thank you all! I feel much better now. I'll upload more pic to get her sex identified.

Status
Not open for further replies.