Do Sulcatas like their shells scratched??

melissah

I'm just wondering if sulcatas like to have their shells scratched because mine seems to like doing this himself and wasn't sure if I was missing something.....

melissah

Some tortoise love having their heads necks and shell scratched. Give him a scratch and see how he reacts.
I had a video I tried posting with my question, guess it didn't work. But my Armstrong like to walk in circles back and forth under my end table. It's low so he has to wiggle to get under it and it rubs across his shell. I always tell him it's gonna hurt him but he will just go back and forth like that for ten minutes then he's off to check out the rest of the house but not for long and he's back to the table. Lol I do try to rub/scratch him all the time though. I talk to him like he's one of my kids and have just about as many pics of the kids on my phone as Armstrong, but he's leading ;}

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
My two years old redfood tortoise like it when I scratch his head.
His neck becomes longer and longer.....:)

Bee62

Germany
Hi Melissah,

try to scrub his shell with a not too soft brush.
Maybe he likes that too.

best regards
Sabine

melissah

My two years old redfood tortoise like it when I scratch his head.
His neck becomes longer and longer.....:)
I can't wait till my Armstrong trusts me enough to let me do that. For now I rub his shell. If I go near his head he pulls it back in. Lol

Bee62

Germany
My sulcata babies are also too shy to be crawled. How old is your Armstrong ?

melissah

My sulcata babies are also too shy to be crawled. How old is your Armstrong ?
He's actually a year old now. We got him for my 13yr old daughter but after about six months I moved him out of her room into the living room and quickly fell in love with him. Now I claim him! Lol

Bee62

Germany
I got the advice here in the forum to handfeed my sulcatas, so they lose the fear of the hand.
I've started to hold my fingers in front of their nose so they can pick up my smell, but they're back in their shells at once ...
It takes time I think.
Do you have an outdoor enclosure for Armstrong for summer ? Here in germany it is winter and cold outside. My sulcata babies must stay indoor.
They also have their terrarium in my living room :D

melissah

I got the advice here in the forum to handfeed my sulcatas, so they lose the fear of the hand.
I've started to hold my fingers in front of their nose so they can pick up my smell, but they're back in their shells at once ...
It takes time I think.
Do you have an outdoor enclosure for Armstrong for summer ? Here in germany it is winter and cold outside. My sulcata babies must stay indoor.
They also have their terrarium in my living room :D
Great idea I'm gonna start trying that today! I don't have Armstrong outside yet, I know based on his size I should and I live in southern California so it's not too bad weather wise, but I live in a condo with a very small outdoor space that isn't safe for him. Plus admittedly I like him being inside. Where he is he is part of everything that goes on in the daily family life and when I get to sit back with a cup of coffee he's right there for me to chat with :) how many tortoises do you have?

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
I had a video I tried posting with my question, guess it didn't work. But my Armstrong like to walk in circles back and forth under my end table. It's low so he has to wiggle to get under it and it rubs across his shell. I always tell him it's gonna hurt him but he will just go back and forth like that for ten minutes then he's off to check out the rest of the house but not for long and he's back to the table. Lol I do try to rub/scratch him all the time though. I talk to him like he's one of my kids and have just about as many pics of the kids on my phone as Armstrong, but he's leading ;}

I have a red eared slider and she does the same thing with the ramp she has to get out of the water. I have always felt this was to help in the shedding of loose scales on the shell.

Bee62

Germany
Hi Melissah,

I have 3 sulcatas and 2 redfoot tortoises. The redfoots are older ( 2 years ) and less shy. The sulcatas are 4 month old. Look at the picture of my avatar and you see them.
Would you like to upload fotos of Armstrong? I would like to see him.
What kind of indoor enclosure did you have for him ?
I do not speak with my tortoises, but watch them. It is more interesting than any TV film can be.:rolleyes:

Sabine

jdarends

2 of mine love a scrub down with a course brush. They also like the hose sprayer

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You can use a toothbrush or scrub brush and try making circular motions on their carapace. Try and stay away from growth lines as it tends to be more sensitive and uncomfortable to the touch. Otherwise, I think most torts love a good scrub.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Mine just like gentle rubbing :)
Not big fans of the brush or the hose.
I think they are quite ticklish:p