Do these baby redfoot shells look okay??

GilbertP24

5 Year Member
Hey everyone! My amazing boyfriend and I just acquired four incredible baby redfoot tortoises. They are the cutest little things. We got them on November 26th, and we were told that they hatched somewhere between September 24th and September 26th. So far, they are all doing great and eating like crazy!

We started to get concerned about how their plastrons look. I'm not sure how to explain the look of it, so I have posted some pictures for you to look at. We have also noticed that all but one of the four babies have little white spots on their carapaces. I just wanted to get your opinion on what these are as well. I have included pictures of these too.

[
IMG_7348-2.jpg IMG_7350-2.jpg IMG_7352-2.jpg IMG_7353-2.jpg IMG_7355-2.jpg

Thank you all in advance!!

Last edited by a moderator:

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Looks like shell fungus/rot to me. Clean it up with a tooth brush then apply athlete's foot cream. Make sure the top of the substrate isn't wet.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
My phone goes all crazy when I zoom in, but yeah. She'll fungus can be common in Redfoot that are kept too wet.
You want humidity. Not wetness.
It's very easy to treat with the athletes foot cream.
Four are going to need a LOT of room.
What are your enclosure and lighting like?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Hmm... I see three strange pink dots on the shell. ;) Just kidding. If the other stuff is shell fungus, I hope it is easily curable and that your ADORABLE little torts can recover quickly.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You got some good advice already!

They are really cute! Forgot how cute they are when they are so little. I got mine at around three-four weeks old and it's amazing how rapidly they grow up.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
Oh my! Those are some seriously cute little torts. When you see them, do you ever find yourself giggling or getting all giddy? I know I do when I look at my Rowan and see him moving about or eating or sleeping or anything at all.