Do Tortoises Dream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperdrake

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
Well i think they do? i just went to my Baby Leopard enclosure and the smallest one was sleeping... but not hidden inside his shell and and he was sort of moving his head around and moving his front legs almost like if he was ... swimming breaststroke style... this made me wonder if they actually dream... and if so about what.. lol :S maybe i need some sleep hehe.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
He is probably dreaming of a big pile of Mazrui with a side of cactus :D[/i]

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Check with Coastal he might be able to ship there. It's just like shipping anywhere else in the US! I have sent stuff there at least twice this month! Worth a try! :D

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Yes, I believe They Dream or Have Thoughts!
My Little Guy Always Sleeeps Stretched Out Under The Light, Basically Basking
and Getting All His Body Heated up :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I've seen Jennifer bob her head and "swim" in sleep, myself. I've no idea if they really dream, but it's a charming idea.

If they do dream, though, it's likely about fresh sow-thistle and cactus pads. :cool:

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
viperdrake said:
Well i think they do? i just went to my Baby Leopard enclosure and the smallest one was sleeping... but not hidden inside his shell and and he was sort of moving his head around and moving his front legs almost like if he was ... swimming breaststroke style... this made me wonder if they actually dream... and if so about what.. lol :S maybe i need some sleep hehe.

That's just how they breathe. When their throat pouch inflates and deflates their head moves up and down. Tortoises move their legs in and out of their shell to breathe as well. The shell is just a big, immovable rib cage, so unless they have a hinge like a box turtle or a hingeback, turtles cannot move their ribs. That's why they move like that, both when they're asleep and awake.

I don't think reptiles dream. They don't have the enlarged brain of mammals or birds, so they probably don't dream. Here's a related thread:

"So do tortoises dream?"

viperdrake

5 Year Member
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
GeoTerraTestudo said:
viperdrake said:

That's just how they breathe. When their throat pouch inflates and deflates their head moves up and down. Tortoises move their legs in and out of their shell to breathe as well. The shell is just a big, immovable rib cage, so unless they have a hinge like a box turtle or a hingeback, turtles cannot move their ribs. That's why they move like that, both when they're asleep and awake.

I don't think reptiles dream. They don't have the enlarged brain of mammals or birds, so they probably don't dream. Here's a related thread:

"So do tortoises dream?"

Ohh cool did not know that. ill stop worrying about him having nightmares of drowning hehe :p

drift2sea

5 Year Member
Some where in time
I Woke up the other day and i seen the craziest thing.Mine was in her bedding area when i woke up to check on her and im not kidding she had her whole head and neck out of her shell.The neck was all layed out straight an she was sleeping.Kinda scared me a little.Shes fine though must be a wierd sleeper i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.