Do tortoises feel emotion?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Far as I can see, they have reactions or non-reactions... not emotions like we humans and some "higher" animals have.
While we may be "happy" they will feel safe or comfortable, and while we may be "sad" they may feel unsafe or nervous.

Sa Ga

MN
Far as I can see, they have reactions or non-reactions... not emotions like we humans and some "higher" animals have.
While we may be "happy" they will feel safe or comfortable, and while we may be "sad" they may feel unsafe or nervous.

But aren't those emotions? Feeling safe is not the same as observing no need for fight/flight in the moment. Feeling nervous is different than just being wary of your surroundings. And it is a well known fact that too much stress can cause illness or even death in most of even the "lowest" of animals, where the physical setting was perfectly fine but only the animals emotional response caused their demise. (Ex: animals not meant to be handled. Enclosure is perfect and owner is nothing but careful and gentle cuddling the animal regularly. Physically, its needs are met and bodily harm averted. Still the emotional stress of it causes the animal to suffer very real physical effects. That is totally the tangible effects of emotion.)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I guess haha
It's a good thread you started! Very interesting, with lots of observations and opinions to ponder on.
I just don't think they can feel emotions in the same way that we do, because they are not humans and do not have human brains. But it's obvious that they can feel upset/scared/defensive/relaxed etc. by their reactions. And that is all I have to say on the subject. I think.:) Therefore, I am.:rolleyes:

Sa Ga

MN
It's a good thread you started! Very interesting, with lots of observations and opinions to ponder on.
I just don't think they can feel emotions in the same way that we do, because they are not humans and do not have human brains. But it's obvious that they can feel upset/scared/defensive/relaxed etc. by their reactions. And that is all I have to say on the subject. I think.:) Therefore, I am.:rolleyes:

..... Or are u just a figment of ur own imagination...?

TheKB

Finland
Definitely one to go for the debatable topics, but my own impression from watching animals all my life is that we all have emotions. We humans like to think that we are something special while the other animals are robots consuming plant and animal matter. More and more studies done over the years show that animals have emotions and that this is "surprising find". I'm not surprised. My dogs are happy when I come home and sad when I'm gone. Emotions drive evolution and hormones regulate emotions. They drive animal to protect their environment, look for new turf, mate, food etc. Different species have their own way of communicating their emotions. Person who has not seen a dog will not instantly know what wagging tail or raised heckles mean. Live with a dog for 10 years and you have learned how they communicate, as social animals are easier to read. Tortoises are harder as they aren't social animals and we are much more distant from them so their way of showing emotions is more alien to us.
We as species have eaten these animals for thousands of years so they will always react to us as if we were hostile. Just because we don't understand the way they feel doesn't mean they don't feel anything. When I pick up my tortoise it will retreat in its shell, I rub the back of its shell to let them know it's the friendly giant who feeds them and they poke their head out and we make eye contact, more I do this the more comfortable they feel every time I do this. They are intelligent creatures and do feel emotion. They will not write poems about their feelings or build a spaceship, but they will waddle around their enclosure with elongated necks and relax under their hot lamp with their limbs stretched out letting me know they are comfortable with the state of things.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Definitely one to go for the debatable topics, but my own impression from watching animals all my life is that we all have emotions. We humans like to think that we are something special while the other animals are robots consuming plant and animal matter. More and more studies done over the years show that animals have emotions and that this is "surprising find". I'm not surprised. My dogs are happy when I come home and sad when I'm gone. Emotions drive evolution and hormones regulate emotions. They drive animal to protect their environment, look for new turf, mate, food etc. Different species have their own way of communicating their emotions. Person who has not seen a dog will not instantly know what wagging tail or raised heckles mean. Live with a dog for 10 years and you have learned how they communicate, as social animals are easier to read. Tortoises are harder as they aren't social animals and we are much more distant from them so their way of showing emotions is more alien to us.
We as species have eaten these animals for thousands of years so they will always react to us as if we were hostile. Just because we don't understand the way they feel doesn't mean they don't feel anything. When I pick up my tortoise it will retreat in its shell, I rub the back of its shell to let them know it's the friendly giant who feeds them and they poke their head out and we make eye contact, more I do this the more comfortable they feel every time I do this. They are intelligent creatures and do feel emotion. They will not write poems about their feelings or build a spaceship, but they will waddle around their enclosure with elongated necks and relax under their hot lamp with their limbs stretched out letting me know they are comfortable with the state of things.
I like your last remark "they are comfortable with the state of things".

Tony the Tort42

Southern California
100% agreed.