Do tortoises get annoyed/stressed by sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
This is a really quick question. I am going on holiday in a few hours and have my lights on a timer (everything is sorted for tortoise care - don't worry!) :) but one of the timers buzzes every few seconds, not sure why. Its a quiet buzz, but it irritates me. Will it annoy my tortoise? Or do sounds not stress/annoy them? I dont want him to be stressed all week when im not here. When i am here the lights are controlled by me so I dont use timers.

I have another timer which doesn't buzz.... should I use that instead? This timer isn't as accurate though.

What do you think? will the buzzing annoy him?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Your timer shouldn't buzz at all I would go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a new one and keep the lights on them all the time.

Mike

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Is it a mechanical timer? I like the digital timers. They're quiet, programmable and easy to use.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
I have no clue but I hope you figure it out :) Maybe just use the second one until you can buy a new one that is accurate and not buzzing.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I leave for my holiday in three hours so ive no time to buy a new one; luckily I have a spare one! But like I said it's not as accurate.

Yes they're mechanical, shouldve gone for digital in hindsight. I've decided not to take the chance on him being stressed by the buzzing all week and plugged in my slightly less accurate timer. Just means the two lights may come on at slightly different times.

I'll be sending the buzzing timer back when I'm home. The other one they sent is fine. Must be a fault with it.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
As long if the tortoise has a day night cycle they don't care about accuracy to the minute.

As far as the buzzing if its pretty constant after awhile I'm sure it won't bother them but good choice to switch

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Well, I've landed in Cyprus! Marley had a soak this morning and was left with a breakfast of dandelions. My dad is looking after him this week - every care detail has been listed to the letter!

The timers are on a day and night cycle and he has 2 CHEs for night time heat. I hope my baby will be okay! I'll miss him while I'm here :(

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Answer to your question...yes, they do not like noises...mine likes to get away from the noise..

Status
Not open for further replies.