Do Tortoises Know Which Plants Are Toxic/ Poisonous?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
Hey everyone. In my Russians' enclosure, there are tons of weeds that they always graze on throughout the year. I try to identify them all to make sure they are safe, healthy, and nutritious. However, there are some weeds that I can never end up identifying, and it worries me. I'm worried that they may start grazing down on some weed that is toxic and will potentially kill them.

Do Russian tortoises, or any tortoises, know if a plant will kill/ hurt them just by smelling it? Or can they tell if it's toxic by taking a bite? I'm really curious to figure out if they know which weeds are poisonous, or we have to figure out for them and take all the toxic ones out of their pen.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
or we have to figure out for them and take all the toxic ones out of their pen.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that no, they do not recognize safe and unsafe plants. The best option is to identify all plants they have access to and remove any that are toxic.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
They don't know, I don't think so. A tortoise will eat, for example, poinciana flowers because someone thought they were hibiscus and gave them to the tort in error. Poinciana is toxic. But then again, it depends on how much of it they eat, and in combination with what else. A bite here and there will probably make no difference when a large variety of other, good stuff is available. Like in a garden of weeds. JMO with that one though.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that no, they do not recognize safe and unsafe plants. The best option is to identify all plants they have access to and remove any that are toxic.
They don't know, I don't think so. A tortoise will eat, for example, poinciana flowers because someone thought they were hibiscus and gave them to the tort in error. Poinciana is toxic. But then again, it depends on how much of it they eat, and in combination with what else. A bite here and there will probably make no difference when a large variety of other, good stuff is available. Like in a garden of weeds. JMO with that one though.
Alright, thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sure, through evolution, they know which plants to avoid in their native land, but most of our tortoises are imports and the plant life is different from what grows in their native area.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I'm sure, through evolution, they know which plants to avoid in their native land, but most of our tortoises are imports and the plant life is different from what grows in their native area.
I guess I could go a bit further and say that if they were wild caught in one place and transferred to a completely different place with different food on offer, they probably would give you a hard time eating anything for a while. I suppose captive bred generations of tortoises may soon forget what they used to eat in their "natural"habitats? Enforced evolution...!

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Good point, thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do Russian tortoises, or any tortoises, know if a plant will kill/ hurt them just by smelling it? Or can they tell if it's toxic by taking a bite? I'm really curious to figure out if they know which weeds are poisonous, or we have to figure out for them and take all the toxic ones out of their pen.

Emphatically, NO, they do not know which plants are toxic and which aren't. Some of the time in some situations, a tortoise will decide to not eat a toxic plant. People who have gambled and won with this then go on the internet and tell others that tortoises 'know" which plants not to eat. Problem is that all the reptile vets I know tell me about several cases a year of tortoise dying from eating toxic weeds or plants in the yard. So sad.

Anything you are not sure of should be pulled out by the root, or access to that area should be blocked.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Emphatically, NO, they do not know which plants are toxic and which aren't. Some of the time in some situations, a tortoise will decide to not eat a toxic plant. People who have gambled and won with this then go on the internet and tell others that tortoises 'know" which plants not to eat. Problem is that all the reptile vets I know tell me about several cases a year of tortoise dying from eating toxic weeds or plants in the yard. So sad.

Anything you are not sure of should be pulled out by the root, or access to that area should be blocked.
Okay, thanks