Do Tortoises like having the back of their shell lightly scratched?

TaylorTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Abington
I have a Russian, I don't know if it's just specific breeds or not.... but my tort can care less.
He does seem to like head scratches/neck rubs though. He will not retract back into his shell while I do those.. but if I rub his shell he will wander away from me.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
If you pet my little Russian he tries to stand up really tall. I suspect he's begging to go outside but he doesn't get upset by it. He just gets mad sometimes when I bring him back in. And throws a little horsey fit ?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It seems like some definitely do!
That tortoise looks like a twin of my Mary Knobbins. I call that dance the hootchie cootchie and Mary does it quite wll with my scratching. I first discovered it with Bob when he was bigger. Actually, he did the dance because I would sit on him and he would try to throw me off...better than a Magic Mountain ride, and yes, he did throw me off
100_4464.JPG

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
That tortoise looks like a twin of my Mary Knobbins. I call that dance the hootchie cootchie and Mary does it quite wll with my scratching. I first discovered it with Bob when he was bigger. Actually, he did the dance because I would sit on him and he would try to throw me off...better than a Magic Mountain ride, and yes, he did throw me off
View attachment 319806
Maggie, So, I have a question....Is that Pyramiding ?