Do Tortoise's sense bad weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I only ask this because yesterday early evening Vegas went inside his insulated house and we couldn't even get him to come out for cactus. He has not gone into the house in over a month and normally he is either under his house or in his burrow. So this morning when I got up I saw that the temp was down to 68 degrees and when I went outside I saw it was raining pretty good, so I plugged his light in just in case it cooled off any more.

So do tortoises or even turtles since that bad weather is coming?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I've always believed that they can. There have been several times when my tortoises have been out browsing for food or sunning themselves and suddenly they'll begin to move toward shelter. Within an hour the temperatures would drop, the wind would pick up and we'd get a nasty storm.
I finally learned that when I see them do that, it's time for me to pick up and head indoors too!

I believe it's well accepted that mammals & birds can sense changes in barometric pressure and other weather indicators so I have to believe that reptiles can also.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I knew that dogs, cats and birds could for sure. I just found it odd and surprising that he did that and then the strong wind and rain came through.

I think I will follow his lead for now on..

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I watched my redfoots this morning. Usually,they are in the hides until late evening,but not today.They were all out walking around and grazing,very active. Soon it began to thunder and now it is raining,much to their delight.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
jackrat said:
I watched my redfoots this morning. Usually,they are in the hides until late evening,but not today.They were all out walking around and grazing,very active. Soon it began to thunder and now it is raining,much to their delight.

See it's things like this that confuse me, because I have seen my Sulcata in the rain grazing before but not last night, he didn't want to leave his house hours before the rain came. He is always making me scratch my head when he does something that is not normal..

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I think they can sense all sorts of things. A couple weeks ago, it was a beautiful day - the sort my tortoises usually really enjoy, although it was kind of hazy. I took them out, but they did not become very active, so I brought them back inside. I found out later that there was a huge fire hundreds of miles away whose smoke might have reached where we live, causing the haze. Maybe the tortoises could smell it, so perhaps it made them uneasy.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
It's amazing how they do things instinctively and then we figure out later why they did it.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Yes they can, they sense barometric pressure. There are some breeders that will also tell you that their gravid females will begin digging to nest when the barometer falls.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
onarock said:
Yes they can, they sense barometric pressure. There are some breeders that will also tell you that their gravid females will begin digging to nest when the barometer falls.

Very interesting, something good to keep note of.

Status
Not open for further replies.