Do Tortoises Smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Lol random question, but, only thing keeping me from getting my tort now is my family all believe that they stink horribly. Is this true and i am wondering if it is the tortoise itself, or the enclosure? Thank you and sorry for the random question :/

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Laura said:
poop stinks bit its not like a carnivore..
rotten food or mold or something gone bad.. will smell..

ok good to know :D

tortle

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Just do some spot cleaning for poop every once in a while and it shouldn't smell.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Their poops have a faint odor to them. It's kind of a mixture of plants and musk, but it's not strong, and it doesn't last long. Their droppings dry out pretty quickly, and then they're practically odorless. Also, as mentioned above, you can always spot-clean and remove them. Most of the time, tortoises are practically odorless - at least to a human's nose. On a personal note, I kind of like their smell. :)

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Their poops have a faint odor to them. It's kind of a mixture of plants and musk, but it's not strong, and it doesn't last long. Their droppings dry out pretty quickly, and then they're practically odorless. Also, as mentioned above, you can always spot-clean and remove them. Most of the time, tortoises are practically odorless - at least to a human's nose. On a personal note, I kind of like their smell. :)

good to know :D thank you.

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
YES, they smell like tortoises.
Glad i could help. :)

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Yea it smells but its not bad at all if your cleaning there poop daily ans there enclosure weekly or every so often :) so smell shouldnt be a problem

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
I dont notice a smell at all.... I do spot clean the poo everyday and wash his food dish and water bowl everyday... So maybe that's why?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Let me put it this way. During the winter months, my older two Sulcatas, three Three Toed boxies, and the whole group of Russians reside in tables/tanks in my bedroom. If they stank, that would NOT happen! ;)

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Kristina said:
Let me put it this way. During the winter months, my older two Sulcatas, three Three Toed boxies, and the whole group of Russians reside in tables/tanks in my bedroom. If they stank, that would NOT happen! ;)

:D good info

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Yes with their noses.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Poorly kept turtles (overcrowded, poor water quality, etc.) stink to high heaven, and I think this is why people are concerned about tortoises.

As has been mentioned quite effectively, if you do even basic 'housekeeping', there is almost no smell at all. I have noticed that some substrates smell more than others- one reason I prefer cypress mulch and bioactive systems.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Madkins007 said:
Poorly kept turtles (overcrowded, poor water quality, etc.) stink to high heaven, and I think this is why people are concerned about tortoises.

As has been mentioned quite effectively, if you do even basic 'housekeeping', there is almost no smell at all. I have noticed that some substrates smell more than others- one reason I prefer cypress mulch and bioactive systems.

:D great! Good info :D

Status
Not open for further replies.