Do Tortoises Talk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirsten_Lenz

5 Year Member
Do anybody else's tortoises vocalize to the owners? Mine chirps at me quite a bit when I talk to her. It's kinda like she's answering questions. And when she wants out of her soaking tub she taps her beak a few times on the side and looks at me until I take her out. Just wondered if anyone else has talkative torts.

Oh, and all my tortoise books say they pass semi solid urates but mine *never* has. She just has plain clear or yellowish urine. Normal or is something wrong?

Kirsten && Ellie (5 yr old female Redfoot)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
The only noises I get are Joe are the squeaks when he strains for a poo or when he's mating woth something.

Urates, I believe,are species dependent. Meds like Joe pass them, but not all species do.

What specoes is your tort?

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Redfoot? I think if she's well-hydrated it's normal not to have urates. Not sure on that.

Sheldon hasn't vocalized anything, but I know when he wants out of his bath, and I know he never wants me to take him back inside after his outdoor time! He claws my hand off every time we go back in the house.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Kobe didn't start talking until he was 2. Oh, what a joyous day it was when he finally said "DADA!"

LOL...sorry, couldn't resist.

hlester22

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Mine will squeak every once in a while. Not the same sound as when they pull their head in fast. It's usually when they get startled.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Mine are the strong silent type.....they leer into your soul and BAM... I instantly know what they want....:D....lol....couldn't stop myself....:D

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
They do make nosies sometimes breathing, playing with there beak.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
My tort made a noise just last week.
I feed him his food and after 15 minutes i took it away because there was a lot still on the plate, then i walked away to get ready and i heard little barking noises and he was staring at me when i walked over, he was mad i took the food away, so i gave him a few more pieces and he stopped.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
ascott said:
Mine are the strong silent type.....they leer into your soul and BAM... I instantly know what they want....:D....lol....couldn't stop myself....:D

;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Mine tells me to do things. But I am able to ignore them most of the time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My male sulcata makes this loud honking/quacking sound everyday. Kind of a "Wh'a, Wh'a, Wh'a!!!" You can hear him even from neighboring ranches... :)

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I've heard Bowser squeak once when she was pooping. I have also heard her burp a couple of times when she was eating really fast and recorded it and put it on Youtube :)

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Emrys does the kind of chirping thing when he sees food he knows he likes. Peppers and tomatoes do it.

Kirsten_Lenz

5 Year Member
My Tortoise is a non-flashy Redfoot (I just mean she's not a bright ol' cherryhead) but she has squeaked, chirped and everything in between since I first got her. She chirps loudest when she sees me putting out her favourite after-bath snack of strawberries, cherry/and/or/grape tomatoes and pineapple. Ellie is just CRAZY about pineapple. I've never seen a tortoise do a burnout to get food til her. I guess I must make her really happy then if she talks to me this much! I've never heard her burp though. Fart, yes .... a lot.

Yesterday I cut Ellie's back toenails as they were getting long and were curling under her foot. I only nicked 1 quick and it bled for only a few seconds but Ellie took it like a champ and made no noise or protest.

Kirsten && Ellie (female Redfoot 5 yrs apprx)

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
I wonder that myself, I did see a video on youtube of a tortoise barking!:D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have never heard a sound from any of mine....ever. Not from a box turtle or a Cherry Head. But, my dogs never shut up....ever.

batchick

5 Year Member
I didn't think they made noises, but I was soaking Ned just now and he made a strange little crying type noise as he was easing himself out. I was soaking him because he seemed to be constipated and lethargic after I was away and had a housesitter looking after him. So, perhaps the noise was a sign of him not feeling great.

Status
Not open for further replies.