Do torts like to get petted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman

5 Year Member
I noticed that my hermmi comes up to me (to my hand) even though she just eat and she doesn't want any more food.She comes and pushes her self to my hand more and more i pet her but her hear is so small am afraid of hurting her.

She does that alot too every time i put my hand near her she comes up to it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some do some not so much. You won't hurt her by petting her, just don't bang/pat on her:D I some times will lightly scratch his shell towards his back side as that is where I will see him rub his shell on rocks and logs. So, I say, pet her as long as she seems to like it :D

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Spoonman said:
So they can feel ther shell?

Well, it's sort of attached to their bone, right? I imagine that they don't feel through it the way they do when you directly touch their skin, but more how we feel when someone touches our hair or nails. Pressure.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They have no nerve endings in their shell, so they won't feel you as such through that. They will feel the movement/vibration from the shell being touched though. Joe was out in a hail storm last week and marching round in it. the hail stones were huge and it must have been so noisy, but he seemed to be enjoying it!

Joe seems to like being rubbed gently under his chin... he would definitely feel you touching directly there.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Some of my tortoises are indifferent to human touch, some prefer to be left alone and will get irritated if you pet them, and some appear to really enjoy the attention. I have quite a few adult tortoises that will run over to me when I am on out there and extend their necks for a rub, but I have even more who would like food from me or nothing at all. I believe it depends on your tortoises personality as well as their level of comfort with humans, they are allowing you to touch a vulnerable area when you pet them.

Lisa Anne

5 Year Member
Anaheim, CA 92806
I always stroke their shells' before I pick them up so I don't surprise them. Two of mine are fairly new to me and at first they always retreated and hissed when I touched them. They are used to it now and I have noticed they don't startle as much before I pick them up. So even if they don't ask to be petted I would to it as a courtesy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine just sort of tolerate it. They don't seem to seek it out or enjoy it, but they will let me.

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
slowpoke likes it when i rub his chin , stretches out and closes his eyes like, aawww feels so good , sassy not so much she just comes around if i have food, if no food she goes away, sammi loves any kind of attention, she loves the top of her heat rubbed...

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
WalkingRock with let CATHIE rub his head and face and stick his neck out to be rubbed and scrached all thay way back to his shoulders... but only Cathie gets that privledge... me, I get to scratch his head and rub his neck ...a little!

My 2 Hatchlings...I don't think they care one way or the other!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
It seems like very large tortoises (adult Galapagos, Aldabra, and perhaps sulcata, too) do enjoy getting petted on the neck or behind the head. Smaller ones may not mind being petted while waiting to be fed or let out, but I don't think they actually seek it out. Other individuals, of course, are frightened by it, so it depends.

DvotedMOMMY

5 Year Member
Laurie said:
Yours can probably pet you!

LMBO!! xD

Oogway said:
My hermanni does the exact same thing. she follows my hand, and eventually crawls up and rests on my hand (possibly because of the heat). She also wriggles her shell when i scratch her back.
Video of the wriggling below :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH6taqeeUdU

Wow!! Looks to me like she feels it! As light as your are running your fingers on her, she seems to be ticklish!
Too cute! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.