Do torts pee out of stress?

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
I took pictures of my tort, and the flash went of a few times by accident, I turned it off and he didn't even pull his head back. He was on my table and slowly made a yellow pool about 10 seconds later. Is it a coincedence or from stress?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks, hopefuly it wasn't too bad for him. Here in SA, we have a rather horrific Afrikaans rhyme about torts peeing out of stress, so intresting that its true
I had a male Redfoot that was very frightened of people and every time I had to pick him up, he would pee and poop.
This behavior probably does no long term harm. But might lead to dehydration if they continue.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I think they can also pee to express annoyance. I knew a woman who ran a tortoise sanctuary, and was very accustomed to handling the tortoises. However there was one young sulcata who always peed when she picked her up - but happily tolerated being handled by anyone else - it seemed very unfair, since she had hatched the sulcata herself and was devoted to it !
Angie

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I took pictures of my tort, and the flash went of a few times by accident, I turned it off and he didn't even pull his head back. He was on my table and slowly made a yellow pool about 10 seconds later. Is it a coincedence or from stress?
Yes my little guy did when stressed.. On his first vet visit after 14 years of being with me, he pooped a great big stool sample for her ? I was so happy ? He was getting a beak trim. I really wanted to do a stool sample too but he didn't give me anything fresh enough before we went to the vet.