Do Turtles get Hemorrhoids?????

Elizabeth Massari

Hi Guys-
I so hate to be a bother again! But everyone has been SO HELPFUL!! Please know how much I appreciate it!!:)
It's funny (well not really).....but I had my turtle since she was the size of a dime. She is over 10 years old now. I love her to death!! I NEVER had any problems or issues w/her in ALL those years!! But this year, she's making up for lost time...unfortunately! Please not laugh when I ask this question......but can turtles get hemorrhoids??? And if so, WHAT would give it to them? I'm just grasping at straws.....but here's the problem. This year, for some reason, she didn't go into FULL hibernation. She was kinda of in limbo for a month or so. But thanks to your help......I got her eating again, and I thought everything was fine! She still is eating GREAT, getting all her supplements etc. and looks and acts VERY healthy!
But my 1st concern was when I noticed about a month when I was giving her a soak. Way up under her shell on her back legs...she had some whitish baggy looking skin. I thought and still think it could be atrophy, from when she was in that limbo. She is normally very active (she LOVES to climb....anything! LOL) But for that month or two she didn't move around much at all. But she is back to normal and I've been checking her legs and they appear to be getting a little better....slowly though!
But here is my NEW problem!! And I'm very worried/concerned! I was walking by her house yesterday...and she was having a very STRANGE looking bowel movement. First of all....she usually only goes in her swimming WATER! I have NEVER seen her go ANYWHERE else! Then I took her out for a soak and then notice her tail was swelled up!! (see attached pics) There was also another strange looking bowel movement in her swimming bowl. I don't know WHAT the heck it could be??? She hasn't eaten anything different etc. I hope the pics are clear enough for you to see what I'm talking about. Any help or suggestions would be EVER so appreciated!!!! You guys/gals are the BEST!!!
Thanks much!!
Beth
PS-The last pic is the best one I could get of the skin I was referring to under her back legs! But do you see how her tail is all swollen except for the VERY tip/end!!! And there is a pic of her bowel movement in the water. Also, she is hungry and REALLY wants to eat....but I'm afraid to give her anything until I KNOW what this crazy thing is!!! Hope to here from all you experts soon!!!

DSCF1271.JPG DSCF1265.JPG DSCF1349.JPG DSCF1303.JPG DSCF1334.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF1281.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 13

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, just reading the story, and before I saw the pictures, I was going to say maybe she's getting ready to lay eggs and maybe the eggs are too big, causing the swelling at the cloaca. But after seeing the pictures, I'm not so sure if that's a female. The cloaca is towards the tip of the tail instead of close to the body like a female's would be. But as to the glob on the rock? I haven't a clue what that is.

The white skin further up the leg is edema, or water retention.

I know it sounds counterproductive, but soak the turtle daily for at least a half hour. Have the soak be in a little tub that the turtle can't climb out of, but that has enough floor space for the turtle to have room to scramble around. If there's a rock or some sort of blockage, the scrambling and soaking will help get it moving.

Elizabeth Massari

Hi Yvonne-
Thanks so much for the QUICK reply and great advice!!! (AS Always!!) The thing is.......I've always been pretty sure she was a little girl! LOL But even so......there is NO chance of her having any sexual relations (LOL) w/any other turtle!!! (For SURE!!) As for the soak you recommended.......I've been giving her soaks in a BIG laundry type sink....with her play things!!! In addition.....she is in a BIG tank and has a real big swimming pool that she loves!!
She had two strange looking bowel movements like the one in the pic. And I think I mentioned......the 1st one she did in her moss. She never goes anywhere usually but her POOL!!!
Any other ideas???? I really appreciate all your great advice and quick reply's!! The light idea you told me about was a life saver when she was in that limbo!! I owe ya BIG time!!:)
Thanks much!!
Beth

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hi Yvonne-
Thanks so much for the QUICK reply and great advice!!! (AS Always!!) The thing is.......I've always been pretty sure she was a little girl! LOL But even so......there is NO chance of her having any sexual relations (LOL) w/any other turtle!!! (For SURE!!) As for the soak you recommended.......I've been giving her soaks in a BIG laundry type sink....with her play things!!! In addition.....she is in a BIG tank and has a real big swimming pool that she loves!!
She had two strange looking bowel movements like the one in the pic. And I think I mentioned......the 1st one she did in her moss. She never goes anywhere usually but her POOL!!!
Any other ideas???? I really appreciate all your great advice and quick reply's!! The light idea you told me about was a life saver when she was in that limbo!! I owe ya BIG time!!:)
Thanks much!!
Beth

Well, looking back through your other threads Precious definitely has the attributes of a male. The carapace is lower domed, the hind legs are thicker, back toenails are curling, red eyes, and the location of cloaca and tail all appear to favor a male:) So, I'm going to give Precious the name Prometheus just for kicks, lol! What kind of diet has Prometheus been on for the last few days?

Elizabeth Massari

Hi There-
WOW!!! You REALLY know your Turtles & are VERY observant too!!! LOL The only thing I went by way back when.....to determine her (or him...) sex, was the shape of the shell? I don't even know what a carapace or cloaca is!!! (the shell....maybe???) Everything you said sounds very accurate...except the eyes.They aren't red. (they might look it in the pics though?) I like they new name!!!!:) Sounds like you are creative too! LOL I REALLY appreciate all the help you guys provide on this website!! Everybody is so NICE too!!:) I wish I had known about it sooner and not just when I had/have a PROBLEM!!

OK....this past week, "Prometheus" had worms with collard greens, sweet potatoes, & cantaloupe. Shes ate this every other day. Then on the in between days, she eat boiled chopped chicken breast, Romaine, carrots, peas, and apples. I always include a good multi vitamin that's high in A & D and I shave off pieces of a Cuddle Bone for calcium. And of course, she always has access to fresh water everyday! ( For drinking, swimming,/playing and pooping...LOL)
I think I mentioned.... I was afraid to feed her today! She is having a fit too! Whenever she is hungry, she sits in her food dish and when I walk by or stop to to say "HI", she opens and closes her mouth. REALLY wide!!! I NEVER had any idea that turtles are so SMART and make such GREAT pets until my nieces give me "Prometheus"! She was a super tiny little baby and they found her on a VERY busy road in front of the condominium they lived in So, of course, like everyone else...they brought her to me! I just can't say "NO" to a stray in need! However, this was my 1st turtle that I ever keep as a pet! I was REALLY surprised too!! Sometimes, I think she is smarter then my dog!! (who, by the way, is VERY smart!!) They LOVE each other so much and play together all the time!!
I was thinking about feeding her maybe just a little fruit???? What do you think?? Also, have you ever seen or heard of this kind of problem??? Any and ALL suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! Thanks so much for they reply and all the info!!! Hope to TTYS!!! Thanks again!!
Beth

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Carapace = top shell
Plastron = bottom shell
Cloaca = the vent where the poop comes out

Elizabeth Massari

Thanks Yvonne!! You're so FUNNY!! LOL
I still don't know exactly what is wrong with her/him (?) ! I gave a tiny bit of apples & additional soaks as advised. Do you think it's OK to put back on normal diet? I think I read somewhere that sugar helps eliminate swelling in Box Turtles??? Do you know anything about that? Maybe I'm just being a "hypochondriac" Mom? LOL But I check her/him ALL over when we do our soaks and I swear.....I NEVER noticed this swelling in the tail before!! IF SHE is a HE .......he did a great job hiding for 10 yrs!! LOL If ya get a chance....let me know what ya think and thanks so much for ALL your help and EDUCATION!:)
Beth

Elizabeth Massari

I laughed out loud!

I'm sorry....am I missing or misunderstanding something here???? So sorry if I mixed up my reply's! But, if that's the case.....I'm really glad it give you such a chuckle! Oh, in addition, everyone's main reply to my post seemed to be in reference to sex of my turtle. So, am I not to be concerned??? Maybe SHE is a HE, and got a hard on and I just never noticed before????

Oh and Eric.....if you're reading this.....I decided against the name "Prometheus" . Please don't take it personal....it does sound like a very unusual and unique name. However, I started thinking about what a horrible life "Prometheus" must of lead...having his liver eaten everyday! So I was thinking maybe more along the lines of "Pindar" or "Pythagoras".....that is, if in fact if he is a male for sure?? But thanks anyway.

Well, am gonna give her/him another nice soak and feed some worms, collards, and apples tonight and see how he/she makes out. Hoping for the best, but if not....guess I'll just have to find a vet around here (if possible) that treats turtles. Thanks SO very much.

I honestly don't know what your talking about, lol!

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I'm sorry....am I missing or misunderstanding something here???? So sorry if I mixed up my reply's! But, if that's the case.....I'm really glad it give you such a chuckle! Oh, in addition, everyone's main reply to my post seemed to be in reference to sex of my turtle. So, am I not to be concerned??? Maybe SHE is a HE, and got a hard on and I just never noticed before????

Oh and Eric.....if you're reading this.....I decided against the name "Prometheus" . Please don't take it personal....it does sound like a very unusual and unique name. However, I started thinking about what a horrible life "Prometheus" must of lead...having his liver eaten everyday! So I was thinking maybe more along the lines of "Pindar" or "Pythagoras".....that is, if in fact if he is a male for sure?? But thanks anyway.

Well, am gonna give her/him another nice soak and feed some worms, collards, and apples tonight and see how he/she makes out. Hoping for the best, but if not....guess I'll just have to find a vet around here (if possible) that treats turtles. Thanks SO very much.

Sorry for the confusion, yes I replied the Flash reference within Yvonne's comment so it looked like she said it. It's not uncommon for males to flash their male members and unbeknownst to the owner of what is going on. As for the name of the turtle, I love where you are going with the name. As for the poo, the image is hard to tell, it mimics the rock quite a bit. I honestly thought it was part of the rock. Or it had a hard time breaking down the exoskeleton of a superworm or mealworm. I just wanted to make sure the diet wasn't a protein heavy diet based on those 2 larvae. As for signs of issues to the cloaca, swelling, discoloration around the vent, signs of fecal material still in the vent, and a prolapse due to strain whether it ate something it shouldn't of, diet, or underlying issue. As for the leg, I would keep a close eye on it. If it hasn't gotten better with the soaks I would take it to a vet. Might be an infection going on causing the issue or other underlying issues not seen. Best of luck.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia

Elizabeth, I hope you didn't think I was laughing at you! If so, please accept my apology. Eric was being mischievous and made a joke at Yvonne G' s expense by adding on to her quote and she rolled with it. It's a fun forum.