Do we need to feed the tortoise every day

qiangzhu

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I feed my tortoise everyday. They always look hungry. If I don't feed them, they will eat the mat, eat the substrate and eat everything they can eat.

But from some articles online, it said we don't need to feed tortoises everyday. If we feed them every day, they will be overfed and their shell pattern will have some problem (like the growth line in each scute of Sulcata will be curve instead of straight line in the square) and some other disease like human's "rich man disease" if we have an expensive diet and have a heavy burden to their liver and kidney

Regards

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I feed my tortoise everyday. They always look hungry. If I don't feed them, they will eat the mat, eat the substrate and eat everything they can eat.

But from some articles online, it said we don't need to feed tortoises everyday. If we feed them every day, they will be overfed and their shell pattern will have some problem (like the growth line in each scute of Sulcata will be curve instead of straight line in the square) and some other disease like human's "rich man disease" if we have an expensive diet and have a heavy burden to their liver and kidney

Regards
Tortoises are grazers. They should be able to eat as much of the right foods as they want daily. Every day.

Those online articles you refer to are repeating old, out dated, incorrect info that has been repeated disproven. Food does not cause pyramiding. Also, a tortoise fed the correct foods, and housed in a suitably sized large enclosure, will not get obese.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do yourself a favor and only read TFO. Most if not all other resources you might find is wrong old and outdated.
They not only should be fed every day but they will not get over weight if fed the proper foods and have enough/proper space to roam around.

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
In the wild, tortoises almost always have access to food so in order to create their natural environment i would recommend feeding them everyday and also planting edible things in the enclosure to promote natural grazing. The tortoise table lists a lot of safe plants for tortoises if you are interested

zovick

10 Year Member!

Regards
As others have said, wild tortoises can eat at will. Captive tortoises should have the same opportunity.

bonsai tortoise

5 Year Member
NJ
I generally feed every day. Exceptions are very rainy/cool days. Like the others said, it’s more about what you feed than how often you feed. Mine are healthy and well adjusted enough to give me clues if I’m feeding them too much. If they don’t show interest and they’re healthy, it’s not time to feed them. You can skip a day or so without ill effects on a healthy tortoise. The exception would be hatchlings which need to be fed almost daily to maintain proper growth. I feed mine at least 6 days/week until they’re at an age where I consider them moved on to the juvenile stage. But with them too, it’s about what you feed them and proper moisture. If you feed them just Mazuri to bulk them up faster you’re going to have a problem. Mazuri is great but it could lead to too much of a good thing type problems. My hatchlings and juveniles grow slow but they’re healthy and have good shell conformity.