Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
StudentoftheReptile said:
As a Christian, I do not believe in undead spirits and whatnot. When you die, you go "up" or "down" and that's pretty much where you stay, at least until the judgment day, etc. (anyone who has read the book of Revelations knows what I'm talking about). Not really wanting to embark on a religious discussion, but you're not "stuck in limbo" to take care of unfinished business, or anything like that, and you don't have free reign to float between the dimensions.

I DO believe that what most people interpret as ghost are actually angels or demons, honestly more of the latter IMHO.

I always find it amusing when self-professed "Christians" don't believe in ghosts when their whole religion is founded on their messiah being martyred and then rising from the dead. We have the holy trinity, the holy ghost and for God's sake we have a national holiday with bunnies and chocolates commemorating the re-birth of Christ. How can a "Christian" NOT believe in ghosts?

Watsonpartyof4 said:
Tom said:
I don't believe in any of that hogwash mumbo jumbo non-sense... but then I have personally seen and experienced some things that I cannot explain. I lived in a house that was built by a man in the 40s. He and his wife lived there their whole adult lives and they died of old age stuff around two months apart just a short time before I moved in there. I lived alone. I put new locks on the doors myself when I moved in, so no one else had a key. I am also an only child, OCD, Virgo, so I am VERY particular about things ALWAYS being put in there place. I would come home and find things moved. Like a chair that I always left pushed in was turned around, moved across the room and pointed so someone could sit in it and look out the window. I never used that chair that way. It was at my workbench area and always faced the workbench. At times I would hear voices or movement noises, and my ordinarily sweet dogs would hackle up and snarl in that direction, but no one was there.

There was one very compelling incident, but it happened while I was other midst of a very high fever, and that one can be explained by fever induced hallucinations, but the other stuff can't be.

I have no doubt that I was sharing that house with some sort of presence that I cannot explain.

It is the old woman she liked to sit and look out that window. They are both still there.

Make me a believer Dawndy. Tell me more. I perceived many things on my feverish night. Can you tell me anything else.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tom said:
I always find it amusing when self-professed "Christians" don't believe in ghosts when their whole religion is founded on their messiah being martyred and then rising from the dead. We have the holy trinity, the holy ghost and for God's sake we have a national holiday with bunnies and chocolates commemorating the re-birth of Christ. How can a "Christian" NOT believe in ghosts?

Depends on how you define ghost maybe.

Not wanting to get too religious, Christ was resurrected with body and spirit...not really a ghost as I would define it.

What some call angels and demons, others call ghosts.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been to many a sermon or service where the person up front referred to Him as "the holy ghost". You know, "The father, the son, the holy ghost..."

This always confounded me as a child. "No such things as ghosts!", they would say. "No such things as monsters either". Then those same people would be talking about resurrections, holy ghosts, angels and demons, etc... I was so confused by the apparent and total disconnect here...

I know. Huge can O' worms for some. I'll just leave it alone.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
This would lead to the discussion of the nature of the Godhead... definitely something I'm not interested in getting into on the internet. But, I actually agree with you that it's confusing that those who believe in "the holy ghost" then say they don't believe in ghosts....but again, maybe those people have different definitions for the terms "holy ghost" and a "ghost".

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...and, the way we celebrate "Easter" is not a Christian holiday.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Tom said:
I've been to many a sermon or service where the person up front referred to Him as "the holy ghost". You know, "The father, the son, the holy ghost..."

This always confounded me as a child. "No such things as ghosts!", they would say. "No such things as monsters either". Then those same people would be talking about resurrections, holy ghosts, angels and demons, etc... I was so confused by the apparent and total disconnect here...

I know. Huge can O' worms for some. I'll just leave it alone.

Yeah, I've never really cared for the term "holy ghost" anyway. Not even sure where it came from, honestly...probably lost in translation from the word "spirit," and so on...

Neal said:
Depends on how you define ghost maybe.

Not wanting to get too religious, Christ was resurrected with body and spirit...not really a ghost as I would define it.

What some call angels and demons, others call ghosts.

Ditto. I "think" (never looked it up) the general definition of a ghost is the disembodied spirit of a person after that person's death. That is not what happened to Christ. He simply came back to life from death, and can travel between dimensions (between here, heaven and hell).

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
emysemys said:

Or Christmas for that matter - I don't recall reading about Christmas trees and candy canes in the bible....

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
emysemys said:

Indeed it is not! Neither is Christmas, really.
--------------

And just to re-iterate, Christians do believe in the supernatural, but that doesn't encompass everything (including the conventional concept of ghosts).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Neal said:
Growing up, my family lived about half a block from an old old cemetery...it was a very spooky place and my friends and I always avoided it when we could. But, one Halloween night playing truth or dare, I chose dare, and was dared to run through the cemetery. I had to run all the way to the back wall and run back. Being the grizzly manly man that I am, I was like "Heck yeah!". So I ran through the cemetery and made it to the back wall and turned around to run back and that's when I felt it...the ground shaking as a massive earthquake. The ground beneath the tombstones began to give way to reveal deep chasms filled with amber glow. The chasms spewed out the coughin's of the long ago deceased and then....the coughin's began to float towards me. I quickly dodged the first coughin' and leaped over the first chasm that stood between me and the entrance gate of the cemetery. One by one the coffins approached me. Some I dodged, and some I collided with and knocked over. I was 10 yards from the gate when I saw my friends at the gate encouraging me not to look back, but to keep running as I was almost to the end. As I began to jump over the last hole before the clearing to the front gate, my foot clipped a tombstone that was knocked over from the shaking of the earth. A sharp
pain roared through the side of my face as I hit the dirt floor of the hole. I could feel the warm blood running down my face and I knew I was injured. As quickly as I could I turned around to face upward, the whole was only about 6 feet deep...I could jump out and make it in time before the coughin's caught up to me. As I attempted to stand on my feet, I saw the first coughin' hover over the hole, then another and another until the hole was completely surrounded, preventing my escape. The coughin's began to rise so that they stood upright nearly six feet in the air above the hole. Then, I noticed a small object like a rock bounce off one of the coughin's and fall into the hole. Again and again the rocks pelted the sides of the coughin's
hovering over me. I could hear the faint cries of my friends begging my so called attackers to leave me alone. Then one rock bounced of a coughin and fell into my hand. I gazed at the rock in the dim amber light and realized it wasn't a rock, it was...a cough drop. I remembered one of the friends in my group had been sick with a cough, and had brought a big bag of cough drops with him to our party. I glanced back up and saw that the coughin's began to back away from the hole. I took the chance and jumped out of the hole in one big leap. As a looked around the ground level, I was surprised at how quickly the coughin's were fleeing the area, returning to the holes from whence they came. Dazed and confused I limped over to my friends
at the gate, and as I approached I found myself asking what had made the coughin's retreat. My friend cleared his throat, obviously recovering from his prior illness, looked me deep in the eyes and said that cough drops always stop the coughin'.

Yes, I believe in the paranormal. :D

That was great. Great story telling, LMAO

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Tom said:

Make me a believer Dawndy. Tell me more. I perceived many things on my feverish night. Can you tell me anything else.

If I could come to that house I could probably tell you more. Animals are more perceptive to spirits. I believe when we are sick loved ones from the other side are closer to us than probably any other time. When I see a spirit, I hear them inside my head not like they are talking out loud. I can't control it, if there is a spirit around they find me. I do have a picture of a spirit from a theater I volunteer at. It is of the old school teacher who used to teach in the one room school house that we have converted into a theater. I had been seeing her there from time to time and when we were taking pictures from the show for a press release we caught her on film! I was glad that others could now see her too.

I can share what I have experienced of a "haunting"
My cat would hiss and act scared and even attack the air. Many times she would hiss and chase something only to stop suddenly and look at me. We no longer live in this house, we had to move because of the increasing amount of activity in the house. The family that owned the house before us were the original owners, his father built the house and when his parents passed he stayed there with his wife, she died he went to a nursing home and we bought the house. I saw the father the third night we stayed in the house he was standing in the corner of our bedroom smoking a pipe, that's what woke me up, the pipe smell, I woke up my hubby and he smelled it too, jumped out of bed and checked the house and outside trying to figure out where it was coming from ( he didn't believe either) He didn't say anything just stood there checking me out, then walked out of the room, I jumped and followed and heard him walk down the steps. Hubby thought it was me coming down the steps. Then my son would see him upstairs in our room all the time sitting on our bed. My husband was taking a nap one day and felt him sit on the bed, thought it was me and freaked out. Then one day I saw the owners wife she was angry and rushed toward me and it was like a blast of frigid air went thru me. Things started falling off the wall, furniture was moved the tv would get turned on and off all hours of the night. We would walk into the kitchen with the cabinet doors all open, close them, and then come back a few minutes later, to have them all open again. I had a neighbor who was very religious and didn't believe either, it was evening still light outside, I had just come home and hubby was on the porch talking to the neighbor, and the wife was standing in front of my husband, I asked her what she was doing, and she came thru the porch, thru the car and knocked me to the ground. The neighbor said he didn't know what he saw, but was shaken up and said there is no way I just fell. He then told us later that sometimes he looks over at our house and he sees a man and a woman walking around in the dining room. And hears the tv get really loud then shut off. I was sitting at the computer one night and I felt someone pull my hair, I thought it was hubby because I heard him in the kitchen. Then someone grabbed my hair and was pulling it so hard it jerked my head back I grabbed my hair and it became a tug of war, I yelled at hubby who looked over and saw something pulling my hair, I let go and my hair was still being held in the air. My daughter was knocked down the stairs, she said it felt like someone pushed her, she ran to the neighbors until we got home. We decided to move after that. I tried explaining to them we meant no harm we just wanted to live in the house peacefully with them. She wasn't having it, she was mad we removed the wall paper( it was hideous blue velvet) her favorite color was blue, I had said many times I hate blue. We were moving and found some old pictures in the attic, I immediately recognized the man as e pipe smoker! There were the old oval kind with the bubble glass. I showed them to my son and he said OMG that's the man with the pipe, it freaked my hubby out. On one of the last days we were moving, I went over to load some boxes into the suv. I opened the door and she came down the stares screaming get out get out get out this is my house mine mine mine, I had never heard her out loud like that and it scared me, I screamed, dropped my purse and keys and ran out of the house, the door slammed shut behind me and locked. The only way it locked was by deadbolt. I went to the neighbors crying and he went back over with me and before he could try the door it flew open and right there just inside the door sat my purse and keys and the boxes were scattered all over the room. He grabbed my purse and keys and slammed the door and locked it ... I never went back, hubby got the stuff the next day. My neighbor moved 3 months later.

I know I sound like a nutcase, and believe what you want, but I know spirits are real and for some reason, some don't cross over and chose to stay here. Some will share your space and never bother you. Others for what ever reason are not so nice. And oddly enough we live across the street from a cemetery now. So I am never alone! But I have never experienced anything like our last house.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Watsonpartyof4 that's called
"Dissociative Identity Disorder" (Multiple Personality Disorder) :p :D
Just kidding:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
A cat hissing and scratching at nothing= evidence of ghosts. Because we all know cats never ever act crazy and run around for no reason at all.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
wellington said:

LAUGHING OUT LOUD FOR REAL!

Well here is the thing... When I was young, and telling my mom I was seeing people and hearing people inside my head, she thought I was nuts. When my grandfather died and I told her he was standing next to her and wanted me to tell her something, she said that's it! I went to a psychologist to be evaluated and I do not have any mental disorders!

I could tell you many other things, like I know who is going to call before the phone rings. I knew my brother would be in an accident before it happened and wrote it down in detail all the way down to where he would cut his chin. Only to have it happen two weeks later ...

Again I know many people with think I am some nutcase..... Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Watsonpartyof4 said:
wellington said:

LAUGHING OUT LOUD FOR REAL!

Well here is the thing... When I was young, and telling my mom I was seeing people and hearing people inside my head, she thought I was nuts. When my grandfather died and I told her he was standing next to her and wanted me to tell her something, she said that's it! I went to a psychologist to be evaluated and I do not have any mental disorders!

I could tell you many other things, like I know who is going to call before the phone rings. I knew my brother would be in an accident before it happened and wrote it down in detail all the way down to where he would cut his chin. Only to have it happen two weeks later ...

Again I know many people with think I am some nutcase..... Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut!

No, you fit right in here, not like most of us are sane:D

WinterDB

5 Year Member
I sortof beleive.. I've seen some weird stuff in my short time of living.. My great grandma was a "witch" according to my family, therefor i'm supposed to have some kind of profound understanding of "otherworldly" beings, and ghosts and stuff.. I'm primarily mexican, and if you ask either one of my grandma's if they've seen the chupacabra, they would both say yes without hesitation, so i'm a bit sketchy on the whole subject. I want to believe that the things i've seen are supernatural, but the really freaky stuff is the stuff that happens to me happens in dreams.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The chupacabra is not a ghost, it is an alien pet that space aliens left behind for some reason long long ago.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WinterDB said:
I sortof beleive.. I've seen some weird stuff in my short time of living.. My great grandma was a "witch" according to my family, therefor i'm supposed to have some kind of profound understanding of "otherworldly" beings, and ghosts and stuff.. I'm primarily mexican, and if you ask either one of my grandma's if they've seen the chupacabra, they would both say yes without hesitation, so i'm a bit sketchy on the whole subject. I want to believe that the things i've seen are supernatural, but the really freaky stuff is the stuff that happens to me happens in dreams.

Ya, my husbands mothers a witch, hahahaha LOL. Oh, your not talking about the same kind so witch. :D

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
There were a lot of different things that my family experienced in the house I grew up in. We never saw anybody but, you could certainly hear footsteps, the kitchen chairs moving on the floor, sometimes voices (not me, my brother). I'd also get that "feeling" like someone is watching you, it would be bad enough that I would be scared to turn around and look down the hallway.

The stuff that happened when I was very young, who knows, I was a little kid. I can share one experience I remember clearly, I was 17 years old. Our house was on a residential street but there was an office building parking lot on the other side of the street. A big parking lot, took up the whole length of the block, so one side houses , the other side parking lot, there were always cars around so it was easy to miss my parents/siblings car. I got home from school around 3:30 and assumed nobody was home. The house was a two family house, my parents owned. We lived downstairs and they rented a three bedroom apt upstairs. The tenants had moved out and my mother was in the process of painting/cleaning the apt for new renters.

So I get home around 330 and went into the kitchen to make a sandwich or something, I could hear someone walking upstairs. I figured my mom was up there, so I went into the hallway and looked up the stairs. The door was open, I called for my mother and didn't get a response. I though maybe I didn't hear anyone after all. I went back to our kitchen and again I hear someone upstairs, this time I'm positive! So out in the hallway, upstairs I go, I thought maybe she was in the back bedroom and couldn't hear me calling her. I go all the way into the apartment, walked through all three bedrooms, living room,kitchen...no one. Now, I'm getting a little spooked, but I was used to it. I closed the door and went back downstairs. Once I was down there, I could freaking hear steps again, I go out to the hallway, look up the stairs and the door is open!! I knew I had just closed it, I grabbed my car keys and left. I couldn't even bring myself to turn around and look up at the house from the street.

Obviously I can't say for sure what happened, but I have never felt that uneasy in a house after that, I still have dreams that I'm there.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, see. Now that's when I would have peed my pants, ran like crazy and never would have been left alone there again.
I used to hear things in the walls of my sister and i's bedroom. It was mice or squirrels that got in to a little cubby closet that was off the main closet. Also used to think someone was looking in the bedroom window. My bedroom was on the second floor. They would have had to climb the tv antenna to look in. Sometimes I think it's just our mind playing tricks. Like when you stare at something that can't move. But if you stare long enough, you could swear it moved. Maybe once spooked by a little noise of some kind, our mind then plays tricks. I guess if there were really ghost, with all the times people swear they have them, there would be some kind of proof, proof you could believe. If you want to believe it bad enough you will see or hear it. Like the Virgin Mary that people in Chicago swear is in a stain of some sort under the viaduct. OMG, this was like five years ago or more and people still go there and lay flowers and candles.i guess if you want to see it, you will. IDK, still don't really believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.