Do you cut up food for hatchlings?

jellahyde

Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire
Or is it ok to let them have long grass etc? The reason I ask is that my 7 month old tort had a piece of grass sticking out of its mouth when it was asleep. I gently went to take it out and the whole blade of grass came up. Is that normal? Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Babies really don't have much biting strength, so, yes, you often see a whole, long blade of grass that way. I DO cut up my babies' food. I feel I can get more food onto the feeding station if it's cut up into tiny pieces, so they get more to eat. As they grow I gradually stop cutting it up so small.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't cut up their food, EXCEPT grass. For little babies I cut up only soft, freshly sprouted, tender young grass into tiny little pieces and mix it in with their food. I only use very soft, very tender grass for babies. Like the kind you might find in those little plots at the pets store for cats, or some grocery stores. I grow my own, but that should give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Once the tortoise reaches about 6-8 inches in length, I stop worrying about this.

kellya31

Indiana
I have been cutting up my new hatchlings food. I’ve noticed if he struggles to much he gets tired of it and stops eating.
He had zero problems eating the wild tender clover in our backyard.