Do you feed your Tortoise(s) Fruit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeopardLover

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I would like to see some of the thoughts about this subject. Yes, I do feed my Leopard tortoise fruit maybe every two weeks but, it's not her main diet at all. Maybe a thin slice of a apple or a top to a strawberry. I do know some people that only give there tortoise(s) types of grass hay and, don't feed fruits at all. I'll post more later.

Thanks,
Jacy

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
It all depends on which type of tortoise your talking about. My Homes hingebacks get a lot of fruit (daily and a large percent of their diet). Next level down would be the redfoot level and I feed them some quite often(every 2-3 days). The last level are the Russians whom ony get small amounts and rarely (maybe twice a month and small amounts then).

I would rate my boxies, Asians, and Bells on level 2.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
like Jacqui said, depends wehich tortoise.

Leopards, Sullys, Galaps, Aldabras, Hermanns, Greeks and russians.
its bad for.

however redfoots can eat it.

Jacqui said:
It all depends on which type of tortoise your talking about. My Homes hingebacks get a lot of fruit (daily and a large percent of their diet). Next level down would be the redfoot level and I feed them some quite often(every 2-3 days). The last level are the Russians whom ony get small amounts and rarely (maybe twice a month and small amounts then).

I would rate my boxies, Asians, and Bells on level 2.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
LeopardLover said:
I would like to see some of the thoughts about this subject. Yes, I do feed my Leopard tortoise fruit maybe every two weeks but, it's not her main diet at all. Maybe a thin slice of a apple or a top to a strawberry. I do know some people that only give there tortoise(s) types of grass hay and, don't feed fruits at all. I'll post more later.

Thanks,
Jacy

I was told by the breeder at Redfoots.com (I have a cherryhead redfoot hatchling) to feed ....two days greens, than one day fruit. That is the hatchling diet he recomends. He has a wonderful easy to understand care sheet for his redfoots.
Mine loves figs. He will pick out the figs from any other fruit I give him. He name is Pio, and I wish I could squeeze his little fat cheeks. lol

Attachments

• Scan0008.jpg
    Scan0008.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Scan0009.jpg
    Scan0009.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 26

LeopardLover

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
terryo said:
LeopardLover said:

Thanks,
Jacy

I was told by the breeder at Redfoots.com (I have a cherryhead redfoot hatchling) to feed ....two days greens, than one day fruit. That is the hatchling diet he recomends. He has a wonderful easy to understand care sheet for his redfoots.
Mine loves figs. He will pick out the figs from any other fruit I give him. He name is Pio, and I wish I could squeeze his little fat cheeks. lol

He's a Cutie!

LeopardLover

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
T-P said:
like Jacqui said, depends which tortoise.

Leopards, Sullys, Galaps, Aldabras, Hermanns, Greeks and russians.
its bad for.

however redfoots can eat it.

Jacqui said:
I'm just asking but, How would you consider "its bad for them". I feed my Leopard tortoise fruit (not alot) and, she is quite healthy. I don't want this to come out rude. Just would like to know.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
I leopardlover, Fruit for alot of tortoises contain to much sugar, to much sweetness and too much of other things that are bad for them.
Fruit should only be a TREAT, once a fortnight or once a month 1 slice of 1 fruit.
Even then some fruits are just completely bad such as:
Oranges are to acid, Bananas are just bad.
Apple contains pectin or something thats good but only as a treat.

Fruit for hermanns, russians, greeks, sulcatas, leopards, marginates, iberas, and similar species is bad.

Sulcatas, leopards and some other species need a fibre and weed diet ONLY.
Hermanns, russians, greeks and marginates and iberas need only weed diets.

=] fruit is just bad.
For redfoots its a fine fruit to feed

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
T-P said:
I leopardlover, Fruit for alot of tortoises contain to much sugar, to much sweetness and too much of other things that are bad for them.
Fruit should only be a TREAT, once a fortnight or once a month 1 slice of 1 fruit.
Even then some fruits are just completely bad such as:
Oranges are to acid, Bananas are just bad.
Apple contains pectin or something thats good but only as a treat.

Fruit for hermanns, russians, greeks, sulcatas, leopards, marginates, iberas, and similar species is bad.

Sulcatas, leopards and some other species need a fibre and weed diet ONLY.
Hermanns, russians, greeks and marginates and iberas need only weed diets.

=] fruit is just bad.
For redfoots its a fine fruit to feed

Ya got it figured out yet gang?

Redfoot tortoises are from a different hemisphere / continent / flora!

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.