Do you have a plan for your tortoises after your death?

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
I am a relitivley young man with young kids that all love the tortoises! But I have wondered if they all grow up and don't end up with the love of tortoises I have what would become of my tortoises after I'm gone? Most of the tortoises I am keeping should long outlive me has anyone else givin this much thought?

Orbela

I am a relitivley young man with young kids that all love the tortoises! But I have wondered if they all grow up and don't end up with the love of tortoises I have what would become of my tortoises after I'm gone? Most of the tortoises I am keeping should long outlive me has anyone else givin this much thought?

I tied my tortoise with the inheritance. So if my daughter wants the house the tortoise is going to have a home.

N

no one

I asked my kids if they will take care of mine. They love them and keep animals of there own. They are almost 20 and 15. So old enough to know what I ask of them. They woudn't want it any other way.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
I’m all for the wonderful news we receive from our kids and my, grandkids. My really big concern would be the, “unforeseen circumstances” that typically raise their heads in situations such as these. What if the adoptive new parents have a dog or two that will maul, harass, injure, or even kill the tortoise quickly or on the sleigh, when no one is expecting a sick and horrible fate fail. Id first check shelters while still able to, and choose them second based on the family’s ability to raise them safe at the time.

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We had Joe for 42 years and we always assumed he would become our kids problem. I did worry, but trusted them to make the right decision when and if the time came.

In the event a tumour took Joe unexpectedly. Will we replace him? Definitely not with a youngster as any tort we got now would almost certainly outlive us and that doesn't seem fair. If we get another, it will be a vintage tort like Joe.

N

no one

Good thing my children won't want a dog then. Or mayby they will just be smart and careful enough. If you can't trust your children on good care who can you trust?
Like mine, they have watched me take care of the Tortoises. They are responsable human beings with lots of heart. I know them. Know how they think...
In the shelter they will be packed with other Tortoises. I have seen it.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I asked my kids if they will take care of mine. They love them and keep animals of there own. They are almost 20 and 15. So old enough to know what I ask of them. They woudn't want it any other way.
This is just how I expect my kids will feel. Tortoises have been a constant in there lives! I've had tortoises 10 years longer then I've had kids haha

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
We don’t have kids. After retirement, I expect to start volunteering with our local society to the extent I can find her an acceptable adoptive family nearby.* Her outdoor enclosure is quite large; I don’t want her going to anything small or indoors. She’ll go to them before I go. ;)

*I don’t plan to visit; I just want to check the housing. :)

MickeyMouse

L'Assomption, Quebec, Canada
I'm also a young father of 2, and our tortoise is only 6 months old now, and with proper care she should outlive me easily. I always dreamed of having a long living tortoise, but also one other reason we have it now is that my daughter always loved turtles and tortoise since she's a baby. Now she is 6 and I decided it was time to jump in this new passion.
At the moment, it's the family tortoise, like our dog, she is part of the family. For the future, the tortoise will go with my daughter, but I don't know when. Will I keep it until she leaves home, or after she established her family, of maybe later, it will be when she will be ready. In any case, if she take it with her, I will always help her if she needs help with the tortoise. And if everything stay with our plan, she will keep the tortoise after my death. But as I'm only 33, we don't really think about it :p

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I'm also a young father of 2, and our tortoise is only 6 months old now, and with proper care she should outlive me easily. I always dreamed of having a long living tortoise, but also one other reason we have it now is that my daughter always loved turtles and tortoise since she's a baby. Now she is 6 and I decided it was time to jump in this new passion.
At the moment, it's the family tortoise, like our dog, she is part of the family. For the future, the tortoise will go with my daughter, but I don't know when. Will I keep it until she leaves home, or after she established her family, of maybe later, it will be when she will be ready. In any case, if she take it with her, I will always help her if she needs help with the tortoise. And if everything stay with our plan, she will keep the tortoise after my death. But as I'm only 33, we don't really think about it :p
Our tortoises had babies last fall and all my kids demanded they keep one of there own haha

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Any responsible owner will think about what will happen in the event of their inability to care fore their pet or animal. My sulcata will go to the most willing and most capable family member or friend who really really wants the responsibility. Mind you that specific person can change in the course of time, as people often do. But I ain't dead yet.

Currently my DT is being re homed to a responsible Tortoise Forum Member who has tortoise experience and proves evidence of a luxurious, tortoise safe environment filled with food. The new home is necessary for two reasons. 1) My medical restriction of avoiding heat over 80 (that's tough in Riverside, CA) which makes it hard to monitor him well in the summer. He was found flipped over 3x in the past year. 2) The new neighbors, who are wonderful, have a pit bull and another dog who patrol the fence line and lunge at the fence. The combination of reasons just make sense to face my reality of better care for this DT should be found, and has. So sad for me, but happy for other member RPG.