DO YOU HEAR WHAT I HEAR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was just wondering if tortoises hear very well? Do they hear higher pitched sounds or all sounds? When I talk to Tatum in a higher pitched voice he looks right at me, does not look away, extends his head out further and does the head bob :cool: If I talk in my normal voice, he doesn't pay much attention and will even look around at other things. Any research or knowledge on this.:D

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I thought (though could be wrong) that they sense vibrations more than they 'hear', as such. I always imagined that meant they heard lower tones better than high ones. Still, I can't resist talking to Emrys in a high-pitched voice like he's a small baby...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
cherylim said:
I thought (though could be wrong) that they sense vibrations more than they 'hear', as such. I always imagined that meant they heard lower tones better than high ones. Still, I can't resist talking to Emrys in a high-pitched voice like he's a small baby...

That's the kind of voice he seems to acknowledge. Maybe he is just conceited, stuck on himself, as I am telling him how cute he is when he does the above mentioned:D But he is sooooo cuuuuute I can't stand it.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Tortoises (and most other herps) have a organ called a "tympanum". This is a small, circular structure just under the skin and behind the eye. It serves as an auditory receptor for your tortoise and other animals that lack more developed "ears". Tortoises definitely pick up on auditory cues, but are more sensitive to lower tones and vibrations than we are. It may be easier to picture a linear spectrum with tortoises on one end and being receptive to low tones, and ourselves at the opposite end and picking up higher pitched tones.

Contrasted with most other life on earth, primates (including ourselves) and birds are unique in that we are more receptive to audio-visual stimuli and communication. A lot life forms, and groups of organisms, communicate and are receptive to chemical stimuli (smell, taste, etc.). If you own a dog, this is a great example. A dog's sight is okay, its hearing is better, but they do almost everything with their noses and that big lapping tongue. Insects navigate much of their world via taste (using antennae).

Your tortoise can hear low tones and sense vibrations with its tympanum (you can see it if you look closely). They have remarkable eye-sight and an uncanny sense of smell. I think their good eyesight was carried over to their not-so-distant cousins - birds - and this is probably why they have such remarkable plumage displays (male birds, of course...not your tortoise).

Too many tangents, hope this cleared things up and didn't cause more confusion...

If you google a picture of a bullfrog or a green frog, you can see their tympanum very clearly behind their eyes. If you google male breeding calls, you'll notice they're quite low. They're not tortoises, but they're semi-closely related phylogenetically.

http://kentsimmons.uwinnipeg.ca/16cm05/1116/chordate.htm

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Plumage, OMG, mine is lacking plumage:p. Seriously, I get what your putting down, but what you are putting down says, I am nuts or just in want of him to acknowledge me:D. Okay, I do want him to understand when I call his name and tell him how cute he is, probably won't, at least not in the way my dog does, but could it be he is feeling the vibes, not hearing them? I usually am holding him when I do the higher pitch talking:D

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I'd guess your high pitched tones probably are being picked up by Tatum. I'm sure if you went really high pitched, he might not catch them anymore (like a dog whistle for our ears). I'm unsure about the range of frequencies tortoises can hear, but I bet it's more than we give them credit for.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Redstrike said:
I'd guess your high pitched tones probably are being picked up by Tatum. I'm sure if you went really high pitched, he might not catch them anymore (like a dog whistle for our ears). I'm unsure about the range of frequencies tortoises can hear, but I bet it's more than we give them credit for.

Nice of you to say that in stead of telling me I'm nuts:D:D although I probably am nuts. Your right, I probably am not quite as high pitched as i think,it is just a different tone. If I went real high he probably wouldn't respond at all. Also the fact that I am holding him and am looking very close to his face. I also say about the same thing each time, trying to see if I can get him to know his name. My normal voice isn't real high to begin with. Thanks for everyone's input.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I usually am holding him when I do the higher pitch talking

They have fairly good eyesight, perhaps he is simply amused by the faces you make while doing the high pitched silly fun talk ....lol :D

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
wellington said:
Redstrike said:

Nice of you to say that in stead of telling me I'm nuts:D:D although I probably am nuts. Your right, I probably am not quite as high pitched as i think,it is just a different tone. If I went real high he probably wouldn't respond at all. Also the fact that I am holding him and am looking very close to his face. I also say about the same thing each time, trying to see if I can get him to know his name. My normal voice isn't real high to begin with. Thanks for everyone's input.

Being nuts is ok as long as you know it Its the people that dont know are the ones who scare me

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Terry Allan Hall said:
I know my Hermann's torts respond to their dinner call, an old cowbell...I ring it and they STAMPEDE to their feeding rock. :p

That's awesome! You need to share a video of this :)!! My little one knows when I visit from sensing the vibration from the floor. He wakes up--- comes to me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.