Do you know what breed of tortoise is this?

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa
About a year ago, my dad came home with 4 tortoises he bought from a friend, 3 of them were common tortoises you can find in a pet store in South Africa without too much trouble, the smallest one however looked different and landed in my care... I'm unsure of what tortoise this is, but it would be nice to know. Any help finding out would be appreciated :)

Attachments

• tort 1.jpg
    tort 1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 46
  • tort 2.jpg
    tort 2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 46
  • tort 3.jpg
    tort 3.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 45

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I think it's a Padloper Tortoise.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
I think it's definitely in the Homopus genus, but we don't see enough of them here to be able to tell super easily. It might be a young parrot-beaked tortoise. A few more photos, including some of the plastron may help others.

@Sterant had some interest in Homopus recently and might be able to help.

This tort looks like it's been keep too dry. It would benefit from being soaked daily and kept in high humidity. Here's a care sheet that works well for a number of species.

zovick

10 Year Member!
About a year ago, my dad came home with 4 tortoises he bought from a friend, 3 of them were common tortoises you can find in a pet store in South Africa without too much trouble, the smallest one however looked different and landed in my care... I'm unsure of what tortoise this is, but it would be nice to know. Any help finding out would be appreciated :)
It is definitely a Parrot-beaked Tortoise, Homopus areolatus, as Sterant said.

South Africa
I think it's definitely in the Homopus genus, but we don't see enough of them here to be able to tell super easily. It might be a young parrot-beaked tortoise. A few more photos, including some of the plastron may help others.

@Sterant had some interest in Homopus recently and might be able to help.

This tort looks like it's been keep too dry. It would benefit from being soaked daily and kept in high humidity. Here's a care sheet that works well for a number of species.

Thank you, I'll be sure to read up and spray my tort more :)

Chennai

Chennai
Also it looks like speckled cape tortoise,.. so did he grow any bigger from its initial size, as these tortoises are smallest among all.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Really?! I'm looking for leopard yearlings to adopt, hatching season is around the corner, so I am hopeful!